Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Michael Cohen Secretly Taped Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    I'm not your servant. Learn to use google. It's been a major news item repeatedly over the last 2 years.
    I don't pay much attention to the news since I don't trust either side. I'm also not just going to take your word for it. In the little digging I did there were a lot of articles. First one to show up is a Foreign Policy article. Looking through a list of their other articles it doesn't exactly look like they are a right wing site either.

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I do believe in the right of a person to not incriminate themselves. At least as regards personal testimony.
    I certainly agree with that. I woke up way earlier than normal, so my memory might be failing me on this, but I don't think what he did would have been considered criminal. He probably would have been criticized, but it wouldn't have looked nearly as bad for him if he had just told the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Reminds me of the part of The Hobbit where Tolkien, they're playing a riddle game which ends with Bilbo asking "What is in my pocket?", Gollum answers wrong and so loses the ring. Tolkien comments on the fact that while though wasn't a proper riddle, by attempting to answer it Gollum was bound by the rules of the game.

I have a similar feeling with regards to attempting to answer even an illicit question under oath. If you attempt it, you're bound to say the truth.
      This is a weakness of the grand jury system - but in court, this is why you have an attorney to stop the process and get a ruling before you give inadmissible testimony.

Yes, to deliberately lie to an inadmissible question is perjury. Dubious as to whether anyone would pursue it, however.
      Last edited by Teallaura; 07-24-2018, 04:55 PM.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        I'm not your servant. Learn to use google. It's been a major news item repeatedly over the last 2 years.
        JimL, is that you on Starlight's account? you made the claim you need to cite the source.

Comment