Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roe V Wade Is Doomed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That's akin to saying that someone on life support is not "viable" (because if you take them off the machines they'll die) and therefore we have the right to terminate their life if it becomes inconvenient for someone else.
    The brain function is the person. When it goes (as per the person on a life support machine) you go and before it comes on, you are not here.

In any case the heartbeat at that stage (once again ultrasound is the bane of the pro-abortion movement[1]) demonstrates that we're dealing with much more than a clump of tissue here as many in the pro-abortion side wanted you to believe. We are dealing with a human life. When a woman has an abortion after 6 to 7 weeks she is killing a human being.
    No-one doubts that the embryo/fetus is alive at every stage of its development. That's not the argument. The argument is that until it develops into a viable entity that could with assistance survive outside the womb, it is not entitled to the rights and protections of the law. Until that point it is a part of the mother's body and the mother has rights too.
    Last edited by Tassman; 07-06-2018, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      The pro-choice lobby wants no restrictions of any kind on abortion. That is what they push for. They are just as irrational about abortion rights as the gun lobby is about gun rights. Neither will accept any rational limits on either. And many people are dying as a result of the irrational but vocal minority on both issues.
      As to the heartbeat. This is a developing human being. Once there is a heartbeat, once there are brainwaves, this is now no longer just a mass of undifferentiated cells, this is a budding human being. And with each day that passes, this baby becomes more and more and more a baby. MOST women that suffer a miscarriage mourn the passing of their 10 week old 'fetus' with the same power and distress as a women that loses a child at birth, or at any time thereafter. This is built in. Your 'convenience is God' approach to abortion ignores millions of years of human evolution that causes most women to be capable of giving their lives to ensure the life of their unborn child. And it ignores our intrinsic moral nature that in most of us can't just rationalize away the choice to end an human life for 'convenience'
      There are rational compromises that could be reached on this issue, just like there are rational compromises that could be reached on gun ownership.

But a bit part of the problem is the unwillingness to admit that 'sex is not just for fun' and that the reason marriage exists in the world is that people shouldn't be fiddling around with the power to create a human life like it was just another board game or a new edition of Mario Bro's.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        The brain function is the person. When it goes (as per the person on a life support machine) you go and before it comes on, you are not here.

No-one doubts that the embryo/fetus is alive at every stage of its development. That's not the argument. The argument is that until it develops into a viable entity that could with assistance survive outside the womb, it is not entitled to the rights and protections of the law. Until that point it is a part of the mother's body and the mother has rights too.
        In that case since back in the mid-1950s and this has been confirmed multiple times since then. As Parents Magazine succinctly puts it in their series about the development of the baby at week 6 "brain waves can now be recorded."

Time for you to move the goalposts again.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

FYI: 'viability' has nothing to do with it - he's confusing viability with personhood.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            FYI: 'viability' has nothing to do with it - he's confusing viability with personhood.
            Personhood is defined by many to be at fetal viability, i.e.when the fetus develops a functioning brain near the end of the second trimester. It is the underlying assumption of the Roe v Wade Trimester system, namely. that a women has an absolute right to an abortion in the first three months of pregnancy, some government regulation in the second trimester of pregnancy (when the fetus becomes viable) and no right to an abortion during the third trimester ...except in very extraordinary circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              In that case since back in the mid-1950s and this has been confirmed multiple times since then. As Parents Magazine succinctly puts it in their series about the development of the baby at week 6 "brain waves can now be recorded."
              Early neural activity consists of unorganised neuron firing of a primitive kind. Neuronal activity by itself does not represent integrated behaviour. Nor is it a viable entity, which is the basis of the argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Early neural activity consists of unorganised neuron firing of a primitive kind. Neuronal activity by itself does not represent integrated behaviour. Nor is it a viable entity, which is the basis of the argument.
                well gorsh, then Tassy, why not just kill an infant? Their brain can't think, or form concepts, or words, all it can do it feel and control bodily functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  well gorsh, then Tassy, why not just kill an infant? Their brain can't think, or form concepts, or words, all it can do it feel and control bodily functions.
                  "Control" is being a bit generous for infants.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Even more so for a fetus!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Even more so for a fetus!
                      I appreciate you proving Sparko's point, Jim.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I appreciate you proving Sparko's point, Jim.
                        And I appreciate your confusion concerning proof. Had you understood it's meaning you'd have said instead that: "I appreciate your disagreement with Sparko's point, Jim."

Comment

and old people
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            And I appreciate your confusion concerning proof. Had you understood it's meaning you'd have said instead that: "I appreciate your disagreement with Sparko's point, Jim."
                            Your usual inept attempt at put-down in lieu of saying something relevant is duly noted.
                            sigpic

Comment

Your usual inept attempt at put-down in lieu of saying something relevant is duly noted.
                              You don't seem to be saying much about anything OBP except for following me around to tell me how inept I am. Duly noted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Your erroneous assumption seems to be that people want to go around killing infants and fetuses.

Comment