Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Separating immigrant families and imprisoning children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Wow....
    Yeah - I should have proofread that better...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• I predict someone is going to trot out the photos of the "kids in cages" from the Obama era.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Why would you do that?
        Because I'm not the incredibly one-sided drama queen you are.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
          Sparko, I don't think you seriously need anyone to tell you that children separated from their parents in a foreign country are suffering.
          Would children being put in jail be less suffering?

Comment

Both you and Sparko continue to provide examples of what I describe so look at your own recent posts and Sparko's. This one is rather obvious: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post563141

Sparko obviously wants to take focus away from the fact that children are separated from their parents and some may never ever see them again. Instead of pointing to this as being unacceptable, he rather wants to focus on me. It is right there for everyone to see. But you are turning your blind eye to the least of these. And probably will continue to do so.

You find almost 900 posts in this thread and so many of them are filled with so called Christians who want to focus on anything but the children. It is all over. Or feel free to point to where you are pushing for higher standards, better treatment of the children or for there to be an end to this inhuman situation.
            No, the problem Chuck, is that you want to pontificate on a topic that you know very little about, other than what you have seen in a few news reports by biased reporters. You have never even been to the USA, much less lived in a border state. You are not a Christian either. Yet you think you are qualified to instruct us on our morality?

Your audacity and ignorance are both at exceptionally high levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Would children being put in jail be less suffering?
              I some cases we are talking about children who might be separated from their parents forever. As a child would you rather have been imprissoned with your parents for a short period or separated from them forever? Could you please just give it 5 minutes of honest thought? Some of these children may never ever see their parents again. Why is it so hard for you guys to see that this is so wrong?

Like I have told you a couple of times already your question is based on the fallacy of incomplete enumeration since, they could keep children and parents together under decent conditions that a child would not experience like a prison.

So, basically, a rather stupid question, and I assume you are asking it in order to avoid having to confront the real moral issue. It is interesting to note how difficult it is for so called Christians to simply call what is wrong wrong. It speaks volumes.

Comment

And what Tassman calls "deliberate cruelty to innocent children" is exactly that. The separation of children from their parent, possibly forever. You said calling it "deliberate cruelty to innocent children" was dramagueenery. Why? You litterally take a crying child from its' mother or father and they may never see them again. So perhaps you should try to confront the moral issue insead of the whataboutism, you are being dishonest and whatever talk.

You are not only ignoring the rest of my post. You are ignoring the moral issue. I am looking forward to see the Christians confront this issue from the perspective of the least of these. Because it is painfully obvious that some of you are so afraid to do so that you try to put focus away immediately.
                Here's the deal, Chuck.

ICE is the ones separating children from parents. Not Trump. And ICE is following the rule of law created by congress, long before Trump came on the scene. Trump told congress to change the law. They refused and made him sign an executive order. THEN complained about that.

As far as Christians go. Here is what I think as a Christian. I don't think kids and parents should be separated. But I also realize that someone breaking the law must be put in jail. At least until they make bail or get a trial. And you can't put children in jail. So the children have to be placed into a secure environment and take care of. They should be recorded and linked to their parents so they can be reunited when the parents are released. If the parents are seeking asylum, then they should all be kept together in a temporary facility until their status can be decided.

Comment

No, the problem Chuck, is that you want to pontificate on a topic that you know very little about, other than what you have seen in a few news reports by biased reporters. You have never even been to the USA, much less lived in a border state. You are not a Christian either. Yet you think you are qualified to instruct us on our morality?

Your audacity and ignorance are both at exceptionally high levels.
                  Apart from personal attacks, what have you got? Is it so hard for you to see that separating children from their parents possibly forever is just plain and simple wrong?

Comment

So, basically, a rather stupid question, and I assume you are asking it in order to avoid having to confront the real moral issue. It is interesting to note how difficult it is for so called Christians to simply call what is wrong wrong. It speaks volumes.
                    The border problem is not new, and is nowhere near as simple as either side claims. Rather than use this issue to attack Christians, your time would probably be better spent contacting your elected officials.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Apart from personal attacks, what have you got? Is it so hard for you to see that separating children from their parents possibly forever is just plain and simple wrong?
                      I wasn't attacking you personally, Chuck. I was pointing out your ignorance and arrogance on the topic. Sorry if the truth hurts.

Comment

The border problem is not new, and is nowhere near as simple as either side claims. Rather than use this issue to attack Christians, your time would probably be better spent contacting your elected officials.
                        I am attacking some (so called) Christians for failing to do what is right in this situation. I am attacking you for failing to see this from the perspective of the children. I am attacking you for failing to call wrong wrong. It is actually very simple to see that separating children from their parents possibly forever is wrong. Try to find any way around the problem, but it remains.

Comment

I wasn't attacking you personally, Chuck. I was pointing out your ignorance and arrogance on the topic. Sorry if the truth hurts.
                          Those were personal attacks. And anyone can make those statements instead of giving good arguments. It is very easy to uncover, Sparko. So, have you got any good arguments or will you continue the "you are stupid" line without further arguments to show you right? Must be hard to find so many reason to ignore the fact that children were separated from their parents possibly forever. Because you are so afraid of dealing with that fact. Interesting and a little scary.

Comment

I am attacking some (so called) Christians for failing to do what is right in this situation.
                            How very noble of you.

I am attacking you for failing to see this from the perspective of the children.
                            Because I'm involved in actually DOING something about it, rather than spewing forth ignorance on a very polarized discussion board?

I am attacking you for failing to call wrong wrong.
                            OK, you're wrong for attacking people you don't know for beliefs you don't know they hold. Satisfied?

It is actually very simple to see that separating children from their parents possibly forever is wrong.
                            Unless, of course, they're not really their parents, or they are their parents and they are being abused. Children's Services separates children from their parents 'forever' every single day in the US. Where's your outrage against them?

Try to find any way around the problem, but it remains.
                            Like I said, I'm actually involved in solutions, you're just involved in attacking Christians in some arrogant self-serving judgmental sanctimonious blather.

Comment

How very noble of you.

Because I'm involved in actually DOING something about it, rather than spewing forth ignorance on a very polarized discussion board?

OK, you're wrong for attacking people you don't know for beliefs you don't know they hold. Satisfied?

Unless, of course, they're not really their parents, or they are their parents and they are being abused. Children's Services separates children from their parents 'forever' every single day in the US. Where's your outrage against them?

Like I said, I'm actually involved in solutions, you're just involved in attacking Christians in some arrogant self-serving judgmental sanctimonious blather.
                              What are you doing about the fact that innocent children were separated from their parents and now they lost track of who their parents were? I have repeatedly said that this kind of separation does not compare to situations in which it is in the childs interest to be separated so thanks for mudding the waters with those examples. If they had not separated them in thousands from their parents (which is described as torture) they would not find themselves in this mess. I am blaming so called Christians for failing to see that this treatment of children is wrong.

Comment

What are you doing about the fact that innocent children were separated from their parents and now they lost track of who their parents were?
                                And, again - this happens every day in America where parents are found to be unfit. All you know about the border is the extremist left wing talking points on which you thrive.

I have repeatedly said that this kind of separation does not compare to situations in which it is in the childs interest to be separated
                                You don't know squat about what's actually happening - and all your bloviating on a very polarized discussion board does nothing but give you (apparently) some false sense of having done something.

I am blaming so called Christians for failing to see that this treatment of children is wrong.
                                And I'm seeing you for the anti-Christian leftist political hack you are.

Comment