Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    You are only allowed to watch Fox!
    I try very hard to read/watch a large number of outlets from several points of view. That said, Mr. Trump represents such a egregious violation of anything even remotely resembling morality (not to mention his ridiculous silence on the attempts by Russian government to influence our electoral process), I have a very difficult time with both Fox and the GOP's refusal to call him out.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I try very hard to read/watch a large number of outlets from several points of view. That said, Mr. Trump represents such a egregious violation of anything even remotely resembling morality (not to mention his ridiculous silence on the attempts by Russian government to influence our electoral process), I have a very difficult time with both Fox and the GOP's refusal to call him out.

Jim
      Jim, I have some special Kool-Aid I can send you... Free of charge!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I try very hard to read/watch a large number of outlets from several points of view.
        Same here. I make a point of watching CNN, HLN and MSNBC as well as reading the Washington Post and New York Times as often as possible in order to avoid getting my info from an echo chamber.

I had a boss who was shocked when he saw me reading a copy of the NYT asking why I read that "garbage." I pointed out that it is important to understand how "the other side" actually thinks rather than relying on what your own side claims they think.

That said, Mr. Trump represents such a egregious violation of anything even remotely resembling morality (not to mention his ridiculous silence on the attempts by Russian government to influence our electoral process), I have a very difficult time with both Fox and the GOP's refusal to call him out.

Jim
        Watch Shepard Smith if you want to see someone on Fox regularly call out Trump for many of his antics.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"Jack serves all customers; he simply declines to express messages or celebrate events that violate his deeply held beliefs."
          But that is not what Jack was asked to do. The messages were not his messages and the celebration was not his celebration.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I really don't see how they could have ignored his religion since that was the whole reason he didn't want to create the cake in the first place.
            Exactly. This case pits two basic constitutional principles directly against each other. The result has to choose one over the other. And I believe their reasoning lays out a fairly reasonable standard for how to chose which of the two takes precedence.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              "Jack serves all customers; he simply declines to express messages or celebrate events that violate his deeply held beliefs."

But that is not what Jack was asked to do. The messages were not his messages and the celebration was not his celebration.
              But he was being compelled to express those views in his work.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

Doesn't matter. In fact, that is not far from the sort of moral indifference that allows racial persecution or things like the holocaust to happen. Why not paint pictures for Hitler? It's not my message, nor is it my house they are hanging in. "Can't you see that lynching over there?", "Not my problem".

A moral person CAN'T create what he believes to be wrong. Not if he has a backbone. If a person really believes something is wrong, they can have no part of it.

Jim

Comment

SCOTUS has SPOKUS.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      But he was being compelled to express those views in his work.

Comment

Tell me how the explicit custom order of a product that contradicted his sincerely held beliefs is not an explicit invitation to join the celebration.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Doesn't appear to matter...

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                          Yes, the Opinion says that the Colorado Appeals court acted improperly when it distinguished those cases from this one only "because of the offensive nature of the requested message."
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My baby sister would slap you with her mixer! Her cakes are most DEFINITELY art!

(please tell me you're just trolling, and not really this stupid)

Comment

Decorating a cake is not art, now?
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                SCOTUS has SPOKUS.
                                Just commenting on the commentary. A bit like Trump.

Comment