Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Hi Kettle. what's up?
    rogues don't stink. We don't like being noticed. Can't get away with all our nefarious antics if we do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      rogues don't stink. We don't like being noticed. Can't get away with all our nefarious antics if we do.
      but you just introduced yourself as Kettle.

Comment

I was making introductions between you and jimmy who you stateificated "smell[ed] like an old sweatsock that has been left out in the rain."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We smell like rum-soaked sweat socks. completely different.
          If your sweat socks smelled rum-soaked, you'd be busy sucking on them.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We smell like rum-soaked sweat socks. completely different.
            Your feet -- well, foot -- would curdle even 100 proof rum.

Comment

Your feet -- well, foot -- would curdle even 100 proof rum.
              You mean 200 proof?
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I love Kettle Popcorn!

popcorn-in-iron-kettle-jeanette-oberholtzer.jpg

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Art is not public accommodation. It is a private contract (a commission) between a client and an artist. It is not part of the CRA of 1964. That is why I said to read it. Even when the artist has a public business or storefront. Public accommodation is places where everyone gets the same service, like a restaurant. A bakery is a place of public accommodation, but the actual making of custom cakes is not. That would be a private contract. The public can't just walk into a bakery and get a custom designed cake. They have to hire a cake decorator to make it for them. That becomes a private commission.

You can't legally force someone to do labor for you. You can't force an artist to create a work of art for you. Your avoidance of the example with the NAZI shows that you actually do understand this and do not wish to admit you are wrong. As usual. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
                  All skilled professionals (whether artists or bakers) who offer their services to the general public in a shop which is open to the public (i.e. a public accommodation) come under the purview of the Civil Rights Act and are not by law entitled to discriminate against those of whom they disapprove.

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  I do recall one of these baker cases, where the baker offered to simply sell them a standard wedding cake, undecorated in any special way. That still wasn't enough.
                  Of course not! It's still discrimination. Blacks used to be offered separate public lavatories from whites, "that still wasn't enough" either...understandably.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    Of course not! It's still discrimination. Blacks used to be offered separate public lavatories from whites, "that still wasn't enough" either...understandably.
                    But then you're pretty much denying what you say. There's an artistic commission for a cake decoration, which is a work of art and so comes under the protection of freedom of speech. Cake decoration is art. Your attempts at arguing that cake decoration isn't art, aren't convincing.

A Christian tested this by asking a lesbian baker to bake a cake dedicated with "Leviticus 18:22", and she refused. She offered to sell the cake to him, and the tools for decoration so he could write the message himself. If this passes, which it did, I see no reason why a Christian baker couldn't bake a perfectly well formed wedding cake, and let any further decoration or customisation be up to the client.

If this doesn't happen then conservatives are really right when they say that gay people want rights no one else has. And it really makes this look like the LGBTQ seeking a beat stick they can hit people over the head with. That's not going to work out in the long run for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      But then you're pretty much denying what you say. There's an artistic commission for a cake decoration, which is a work of art and so comes under the protection of freedom of speech. Cake decoration is art. Your attempts at arguing that cake decoration isn't art, aren't convincing.

A Christian tested this by asking a lesbian baker to bake a cake dedicated with "Leviticus 18:22", and she refused. She offered to sell the cake to him, and the tools for decoration so he could write the message himself. If this passes, which it did, I see no reason why a Christian baker couldn't bake a perfectly well formed wedding cake, and let any further decoration or customisation be up to the client.

If this doesn't happen then conservatives are really right when they say that gay people want rights no one else has. And it really makes this look like the LGBTQ seeking a beat stick they can hit people over the head with. That's not going to work out in the long run for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

Their never asking halal bakeries (Muslim run) to make gay wedding cakes is a strong indication that this is all about forcing conservative Christians to kowtow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I love Kettle Popcorn!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29237[/ATTACH]

Not a big fan of kettle chips though.

Comment

• No, all of these bakers have served gay clients in the past. The LGBTQ is seeking here a law ordinance they can use to go around and tyrannise conservative Christians whom they hold in severe dislike. There's a lot of animosity and revenge lust in that crowd. I know, because I have LGBTQ friends, and some take distance from that sort of crap. Its all about getting a beat stick.

And its not the right choice. I hope freedom prevails.

Comment

Their never asking halal bakeries (Muslim run) to make gay wedding cakes is a strong indication that this is all about forcing conservative Christians to kowtow.
                              Exactly, its hypocrisy to the nth degree.

I really don't like Louder With Crowder, as in at all, but when they got recordings of muslim bakers refusing to bake wedding cakes, and the LGBTQ was completely silent about it, it really betrayed that it had nothing to do with protecting gays, and was all about bullying Christians.
                              Last edited by Leonhard; 07-26-2018, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Their never asking...
                                I'm feeling triggered!
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment