Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Yeah - technically you did.

And yes - I am very happy to have defeated you so thoroughly in this critical debate.

Sorry - I was channeling MM a little there...
    Whatever. I don't care anymore.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Whatever. I don't care anymore.
      Spoilsport...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

When I voted "for" Trump, I didn't think he had a chance of winning. My vote as a protest vote against Hillary. If, somehow, it makes you happy to insist I voted "for Trump", yeah, technically I did.

Happy?
        So, are you now aware that you voted for a treasonous thieving con man aided by Russia in his election who is intent on tearing down western democracies including the one you so love and live in? Or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Pretty sure the MSM, who worked so diligently at getting Trump nominated, would agree.
          So the MSM is conservatively biased now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Joel View Post
            It seems you didn't understand my question. You seemed to claim earlier (post 212) that it is prejudice for a business to refuse to serve someone based on their biology, but not prejudice if based on their belief. But surely someone can prejudicially refuse to hire or refuse to serve someone because they are a Muslim, for example. How is that not prejudicial discrimination?

(The issue wasn't about refusing to accept the beliefs of a Muslim/Republican/etc. Not about challenging the beliefs. But a business refusing to serve them.)
            It is illegal to discriminate due to ones own personal beliefs or biases. If you are biased against a persons race, their religion, their gender, or their sexual orientation, then that is a problem you will have to get over if you want to do business with the general public. That doesn't mean that as a businessman you can't continue to hold to your biggoted beliefs, it simply means that you can't utilize your biggotry against the consumer who may disagree with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              It is illegal to discriminate due to ones own personal beliefs or biases. If you are biased against a persons race, their religion, their gender, or their sexual orientation, then that is a problem you will have to get over if you want to do business with the general public. That doesn't mean that as a businessman you can't continue to hold to your biggoted beliefs, it simply means that you can't utilize your biggotry against the consumer who may disagree with you.
              YEAH, Jim. You're RIGHT!!!! So, as long as the cake baker doesn't sell same sex wedding cakes to EVERYBODY, treating everybody equally, not just 'straight' people, he's doing good! Right arm!!!!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You've been away for a while Jim, so lemme help you out with this, K?

Here's what triggered (isn't THAT an interesting word these days) this...

I had said

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                When I voted "for" Trump, I didn't think he had a chance of winning.
                To which Roy replied....

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Be careful what you wish for
                Meaning that my protest vote against Hillary actually ended up counting for the election of Trump. So Rogue piggybacks on that, talking about the MSM...

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Pretty sure the MSM, who worked so diligently at getting Trump nominated, would agree.
                Note that Rogue was not talking about the general election, but about the NOMINATION. He's not accusing the MSM of being 'conservatively biased' - he was pointing out (correct me if I'm wrong, big brudder) that the MSM worked to get Trump NOMINATED because they believed Hillary would crush him like the cockroach he is.

Hope that clears this up for ya. Good to see you back!

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  A good number of people I know voted to protest whoever they saw as the worst of the two.

Jim
                  And boy did they ever get it wrong! It is telling though how it is that so many Trumpsters are trying to excuse their voting for him in the above manner.

Comment

And boy did they ever get it wrong! It is telling though how it is that so many Trumpsters are trying to excuse their voting for him in the above manner.
                    And boy do those liberals ever get it REALLY wrong when they assume that somebody is a "Trumpster" simply because they exercised their right to employ a protest vote.

Comment

No my dim-witted friend. They thought by getting Trump as Hillary's opponent that she could breeze into the White House. Didn't work out that way.

Something like this happened several decades ago in the state I live. Since primaries are open a large number of Republicans crossed-over to vote for a Democrat they were sure was pure poison and could never win in the up-coming gubernatorial race. They succeeded in getting him as the Democrat's candidate.

But then the concept of be careful what you wish for reared its head and the election had no clear winner (thanks to many horrified Democrats backing a third party candidate) so it got thrown to the state legislature to decide. Even though the Republican candidate won the majority of the votes cast (but not the required >50%) the Democrat-dominated General Assembly held their collective noses and selected their fellow Democrat to be the next governor.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And boy do those liberals ever get it REALLY wrong when they assume that somebody is a "Trumpster" simply because they exercised their right to employ a protest vote.
                        The lad keeps forgetting that by the "logic" he keeps insisting on that he's a big-time supporter of the pedophiles at NAMBLA.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          The lad keeps forgetting that by the "logic" he keeps insisting on that he's a big-time supporter of the pedophiles at NAMBLA.
                          But we have enough intelligence and integrity to realize that's not necessarily the case.

Comment

So, are you now aware that you voted for a treasonous thieving con man aided by Russia in his election who is intent on tearing down western democracies including the one you so love and live in? Or not?
                            I'm aware this is how the intolerant drama queen loony left characterizes the President, yes.

Comment

For me, personally, that would be difficult to defend, as there is no biblical basis for being against inter-racial marriages. In fact, in Numbers 12, "Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Cushite woman whom he had married, for he had married a Cushite woman". (Cush was in Africa, south of Ethiopia, as I recall) God called them to task.
                              WADR, while I agree with your view, it is not relevant. He posited the refusal was "religious," but did not specify what religion. The State has no right to decide which "religions" are acceptable.

But his question was also not precisely on point. To be analogous to the Colorado baker situation, I believe it would have to be not just a "cake," but a cake specifically crafted for the particular wedding.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Yttrium View Post

I've met a few Christians who believed it violated their version of Christianity, although that was a long time ago. I don't know what their justification was.
                                IIRC, that was a controversial tenet of Bob Jones University.

And one can find a bunch of crazy supposed reasons tucked amongst the copious often bizarre notes in Dake's Annotated Bible -- or at least in the version still sold 30-some years ago. I would not be surprised to find that those parts of been excised in newer editions.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment