Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ireland legalizes the killing of the unborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    ~lightbulb~ That must have been why Samson lost his strength when his hair was cut - God was angry at the loss of hair cells!
    But, but, but ... circumcision?
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
      In the UK, parents get state funding for child support. Does the US have something similar?
      Yes, there are welfare programs for people to get assistance for children.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-s...d-welfare.aspx
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He does.
        If that was true; you nor him would make such stupid arguments. Your death cult really requires a lot out of you though, huh?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          The US is pretty much the only country in the world that doesn't have paid parental leave by law (some employers offer it). I don't think the US generally has government-provided child support payments... to them "child support" refers to the father making payments. Though they do have the "Head Start" program which gives support to low-income families with pre-school kids. But they don't seem to have nearly as much support for families with children in general as the UK or NZ does. Yet again, the "US pro-family" right does not appear to actually support policies that benefit families, unlike the left.

And yeah, the lack of financial support for families in the US probably motivates quite a few people to seek abortions who otherwise wouldn't have. But the US right doesn't even seem to be interested in easy policy methods to reduce abortion rates like good sex education (they seem to prefer abstinence-only education even though it leads to more abortions), and the making of contraception easily available.
          That right folks, Starlight has zero evidence for his claims, but makes wild speculation and pretends it is fact.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            If that was true; you nor him would make such stupid arguments. Your death cult really requires a lot out of you though, huh?
            I'm not in a death cult. Go peddle your lies on some-one else.
            Last edited by Roy; 06-01-2018, 07:16 AM.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 06-01-2018, 07:25 AM.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• I'm not in a death cult. Go peddle your lies on some-one else.

Comment

GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• I'm almost certain he does know it and that he's just trolling us. He can't refute my original argument, so he and Ignorant Roy are trying to confuse the issue by equivocating and feigning ignorance.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Are you trying to defend abortion with poorly thought out arguments while attacking others for not getting a detail correct?
                      No.

Comment

Are you trying to defend abortion with poorly thought out arguments while attacking others for not getting a detail correct?
                        Thing is, I didn't actually get any details wrong. I used the term "life", which scientifically speaking has a fairly well-defined meaning and is used interchangeably with the terms "life-form" and "organism". It's also a fact that there is a clear distinction between something being "alive" and meeting the scientific definition of "life". Your skin cells are alive, at least in their early stage, but they are not life since they do not have the attributes that science uses to describe life (they don't organize, adapt, self-sustain, metabolize, respond to stimuli, etc.). A skin cell is part of an organism, but it is not an organism in and of itself.

Dimbulb claims to have a science degree, so either he knows this and is trying to score rhetorical points by playing dumb, or his degree is only suitable for lining the bottom of a bird cage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Thing is, I didn't actually get any details wrong.
                          [skin cells] don't organize, adapt, self-sustain, metabolize, respond to stimuli, etc.
                          Ho-hum.

Anyone got a barrel of fish?

Comment

Ho-hum.

Fish don't swim in barrels. They swim in schools.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                              Ho-hum.

Now fish, unlike skin cells, actually are organisms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Yes, there are welfare programs for people to get assistance for children.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-s...d-welfare.aspx
                                It's actually a very complicated issue, as noted in this NYTimes article.

Welfare has often been accused of encouraging poor unwed mothers to have more babies because they get additional funds for additional children.
                                Some states attempt to limit that, to discourage additional children born into poverty families.
                                It is suspected that this would increase the abortion rate, as pregnancies would still occur, but no additional funding would be available.

So, it's complicated.

Comment