Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NFL�s Proposed National Anthem Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

When have I ever made a comment like either of those...?
    here and here

You may now commence protesting that they're not at all similar.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I had no idea these existed. What a marvelous idea. But I'm a bit too lazy to spend the time on what is essentially a trivial issue (despite the time spent here).
      But then you could put money into circulation that I might end up with and then you would find out whether I would actually spend money that said "in no god we trust"

Although I think the bill stamp above cancels itself out. It has the "no" symbol over the word God, and "is fake" below it. Wouldn't that mean "In no God is fake we trust?" Kinda sounds more like polytheism than atheism. If no god is fake then they all must be real.

Comment

Actually I didn't, so thanks for that information. Apparently it was put on a 2-cent piece in 1864 and was in circulation until 1873 (9 years). Then it was not used again until 1956, when it returned - as I noted - in response to McCarthyism and "godless communists."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          To his credit, he finally kinda sorta conceded the point, after much resistance....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Um.... no.

Source: treasury.gov

The use of IN GOD WE TRUST has not been uninterrupted. The motto disappeared from the five-cent coin in 1883, and did not reappear until production of the Jefferson nickel began in 1938. Since 1938, all United States coins bear the inscription. Later, the motto was found missing from the new design of the double-eagle gold coin and the eagle gold coin shortly after they appeared in 1907. In response to a general demand, Congress ordered it restored, and the Act of May 18, 1908, made it mandatory on all coins upon which it had previously appeared. IN GOD WE TRUST was not mandatory on the one-cent coin and five-cent coin. It could be placed on them by the Secretary or the Mint Director with the Secretary's approval.

The motto has been in continuous use on the one-cent coin since 1909, and on the ten-cent coin since 1916. It also has appeared on all gold coins and silver dollar coins, half-dollar coins, and quarter-dollar coins struck since July 1, 1908.

source

© Copyright Original Source

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Wow... thanks for the intel. My information was badly incorrect.

So the slogan has a longer history than I thought (and readers should discount my earlier comments - I was misinformed.
          Then continuing to argue the point, which is his right...

I do stand behind the belief that it is divisive, and should be eliminated. Currency that is silent about gods offends no one. Currency that makes claims about gods (existing or not existing) alienates some part of our citizenry.
          The pretending that money was like business cards was, IMOHBAO, kinda funny.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            To his credit, he finally kinda sorta conceded the point, after much resistance....

Then continuing to argue the point, which is his right...

The pretending that money was like business cards was, IMOHBAO, kinda funny.
            Yeah I laughed at that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Yeah I laughed at that one.
              Business card: Something I hand out for a person to keep so they can contact me, it's all about me, my company, and other than that, has zero value to the recipient.
              Paper Currency: Something I hand out to somebody else in exchange for something of value, and all the recipient cares about is what denomination it is, and "is it real?"

Counterfeit-Money-Ftrd32.jpg
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually I didn't, so thanks for that information. Apparently it was put on a 2-cent piece in 1864 and was in circulation until 1873 (9 years). Then it was not used again until 1956, when it returned - as I noted - in response to McCarthyism and "godless communists."
                Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Aside from your Liberty Half Dollar from 1922 here are a few more

00000000000000ars5g4.jpg
                1874 Silver Dollar -- the year after carpe claims they stopped putting it on money

00000000000000ars5g5.jpg
                1934 "Peace" Liberty Silver Dollar

00000000000000ars5h.jpg
                1882 Morgan Silver Dollar

00000000000000ars5g.jpg
                1943 Jefferson Nickle

00000000000000ars5g1.jpg
                1920 Double Eagle $20 Gold Coin

00000000000000arr.jpg
                1919 Standing Liberty Quarter

00000000000000ars5g3b.jpg
                Another from 1929

00000000000000ars5g2.jpg 00000000000000ars5g3.jpg
                1943 Walking Liberty Half Dollar
                Last edited by rogue06; 05-31-2018, 03:32 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• But he did something Tassman would never do, even if he were waterboarded....

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  Wow... thanks for the intel. My information was badly incorrect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    But he did something Tassman would never do, even if he were waterboarded....

Only because you won't let me use a pair of pliers to help persuade him

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      here and here

You may now commence protesting that they're not at all similar.
                      Yep...good links. I have said that.

As for the similarity...I have a feeling that would be a pointless discussion...so...
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Only because you won't let me use a pair of pliers to help persuade him
                        It's about time you stop calling that electric drill "my pliers".

Marathon-Man-film-images-db46686e-38c6-4c8c-b913-37129024d94.jpg

Comment

Other "nonexistent things" do not require me to hand out business cards that they exist...
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            So you never:

- signed Christmas gifts from Santa?
                            I absolutely did. But since Santa was me... no problem

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            - left out cookies and milk for Santa?
                            I always found this one a little hokey - and I don't eat cookies. I tried to get my wife to have the kids leave out a beer and pretzel, but she thought "nothing" was better than that. She did go out on the back porch (once) and make "reindeer" prints in the fresh snow on Christmas Eve. Thankfully, my boys were not THAT gullible.

Actually - yes. But I also took pictures with Mickey, Buzz Lightyear, the two Chipmunks, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I wasn't thereby claiming to trust or believe in any of them, beyond a Disney cartoon.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            - watched movies about Santa?
                            Of course I have. But I've also watched "Star Wars" and "The Little Engine that Could" without making a claim about trust or existence. What does entertainment and fantasy have to do with a religious slogan?

Human fantasy and claiming to believe and trust in a creator being are not the same thing. I am technically Catholic (by baptism) and I am "qualified" (according to the Catholic Church) to receive the sacraments. I occasionally go to church - because my wife asks me to and it is time together. I would never disrespect that church (or myself, or my wife) by going to receive communion on those occasions. I would be knowingly partaking of a sacrament she takes seriously when I believe it's a tiny wafer of wheat and nothing more. I don't mouth the prayers. Occasionally, I am asked about it and my response is always "these are not my beliefs, I'm atheist."

Choosing not to use U.S. currency is a personal decision I made years ago. It came up here because I mentioned it in the context of a discussion about the many ways in which government has continually incorporated religious concepts into its practices, despite the explicit will of the founders (our money, our pledge, formal prayers at official government events, etc.). Over time, as our nation becomes increasingly secular, these will likely (hopefully?) be removed. I doubt it will be in my lifetime. Meanwhile, those of us who believe religion should be kept separate from government will probably continue to encourage that to happen. I personally have better things to do than fight a lawsuit over the slogan on our currency - especially given the unlikeliness of it succeeding in the current climate. Perhaps someone else will do that down the road, when there is a better chance of success.
                            Last edited by carpedm9587; 06-01-2018, 06:18 AM.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• So we have the latest on the NFL kurfufle. I have not chased all of this down, but apparently the Eagles were going to send 81 players to the White House, and most decided they did not want to go. Trump then withdrew the invitation (his right to do) and claimed it was about the kneeling national anthem thing. As best I can tell, the Eagles were one team that never actually did this. Fox apparently went so far as claim that pictures of the team players kneeling and praying before a game were anthem protests (they have apparently since apologized for it). Philadelphia is now a bit upset.

I have to wonder about Trump. He won Pennsylvania by 1.2% (less than 70K votes out of over 6 million votes cast). He really can't afford to do stuff like this and hope to take 2020.

Comment

So we have the latest on the NFL kurfufle. I have not chased all of this down, but apparently the Eagles were going to send 81 players to the White House, and most decided they did not want to go. Trump then withdrew the invitation (his right to do) and claimed it was about the kneeling national anthem thing. As best I can tell, the Eagles were one team that never actually did this. Fox apparently went so far as claim that pictures of the team players kneeling and praying before a game were anthem protests (they have apparently since apologized for it). Philadelphia is now a bit upset.

I have to wonder about Trump. He won Pennsylvania by 1.2% (less than 70K votes out of over 6 million votes cast). He really can't afford to do stuff like this and hope to take 2020.
                                They didn't kneel (except for one guy in preseason who didn't make the team), but some players did use power salutes as a form of protest. It's still a definite break with tradition, but it's less obviously disrespectful.
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment