Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NFL�s Proposed National Anthem Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I'm sure, to you, they do not. Yet one denies (to the Christian) that god is to be trusted, and the other claims (to the atheist) that a god who doe snot exist is to be trusted.

If the money simply said nothing about god whatsoever (as it did before the McCarthy era), all people could wield it with no conflict.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• I think your resonse misses the point that whether you are an atheist, agnostic or theist you should be allowed to take your world view seriously and not be forced to support or share statements you don't agree with. I know many religious people and I have great respect for their worldview but I don't say prayers when everyone else does, I don't sing Christian songs along with them. It would be wrong both to myself and to them. So, perhaps what you strugle to understand is the fact that people with all sorts of religious views or lack thereof have a right to protect their integrity. This should actually not be a case in which Christians need to disagree with atheists, just like - I hope - we don't disagree about freedom of religion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        I think your resonse misses the point that whether you are an atheist, agnostic or theist you should be allowed to take your world view seriously and not be forced to support or share statements you don't agree with. I know many religious people and I have great respect for their worldview but I don't say prayers when everyone else does, I don't sing Christian songs along with them. It would be wrong both to myself and to them. So, perhaps what you strugle to understand is the fact that people with all sorts of religious views or lack thereof have a right to protect their integrity. This should actually not be a case in which Christians need to disagree with atheists, just like - I hope - we don't disagree about freedom of religion.
        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 05-30-2018, 07:17 AM.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Well... It still seems you cannot allow non-religious people the intergrety you want to allow for yourself. Some atheists may find the statement meaningles. Does that mean it is no problem? Are you never troubled by meaningles statements? However meaningles they may find it, they are of course aware that others have different interpretations and use the statement to support ideas an atheist would not agree with. But you seem to have a very narrowminded attitude towards the idea that atheists have values and morals like you have. And an atheist need not even view the statement as meaningles. They can say the statement is perfectly meaningful but just outright wrong. And again it is very easy to just write their feelings of because you don't share them.

Comment

• Let's all compromise and put "In Cthulhu we trust" on our money.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

And you still avoided the question...

It's a simple question Sparko - capable of being answered with a simple choice...

If the U.S. currency had the inscription, "we do not trust in god," would you want to pass the currency, or would you be inclined to use electronic currency?

Which?
              Sucks when people don't answer your questions directly, huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Actually, they're not expressing their political speech; they're doing what's required by the rules.

We are to pray in secret, not openly.
                tell that to every church service ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  answer

Why would somebody bother to put a saying on a banknote that somebody they do not believe exists does not exist.

"The Easter Bunny does not exist" or "The Easter Bunny (or spaghetti monster) cannot be trusted"....

That sneaky bunny! I KNEW it! I bet he works for rogue06.

Comment

Well... It still seems you cannot allow non-religious people the intergrety you want to allow for yourself.
                    Some atheists may find the statement meaningles. Does that mean it is no problem?
                    Does it bring some comfort? Does it cause you any harm?

Are you never troubled by meaningles statements?
                    No because I have more important things to invest energy into.

However meaningles they may find it, they are of course aware that others have different interpretations and use the statement to support ideas an atheist would not agree with.
                    But you seem to have a very narrowminded attitude towards the idea that atheists have values and morals like you have.
                    And an atheist need not even view the statement as meaningles. They can say the statement is perfectly meaningful but just outright wrong. And again it is very easy to just write their feelings of because you don't share them.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I think your resonse misses the point that whether you are an atheist, agnostic or theist you should be allowed to take your world view seriously and not be forced to support or share statements you don't agree with. I know many religious people and I have great respect for their worldview but I don't say prayers when everyone else does, I don't sing Christian songs along with them. It would be wrong both to myself and to them. So, perhaps what you strugle to understand is the fact that people with all sorts of religious views or lack thereof have a right to protect their integrity. This should actually not be a case in which Christians need to disagree with atheists, just like - I hope - we don't disagree about freedom of religion.
                      I completely agree. That is why I am offering Sparko's Money Laundering Service. Send me all of your dirty filthy religious money and I will clean it for you and return 50% of it as digital currency of your choice. Nobody should have to undergo the indignity of spending money that supports a deity they do not believe in!

Trust me, I'm an honest pirate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I completely agree. That is why I am offering Sparko's Money Laundering Service. Send me all of your dirty filthy religious money and I will clean it for you and return 50% of it as digital currency of your choice. Nobody should have to undergo the indignity of spending money that supports a deity they do not believe in!

Trust me, I'm an honest pirate.
                        roguetech banking and financing will do it for a mere 15% and a small $10 handling fee.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• "New atheists" in the US are nothing but a bunch of precious snowflakes who need a safe space to protect from all that rampant religious indoctrination on their currency.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            tell that to every church service ever.
                            Private prayer != corporate prayer.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You are the first one to offer an honest question...except I do not know of a single instance where a non-Christian currency has made an explicit claim about the non-existence or non-trustworthyness of god.
                              Perhaps because that would be sort of dumb. Countries typically promote their own on their currency, not disparage others.
                              But I do know of several countries where the currency makes claims about the existence and/or trustworthyness of god.

Out of habit, theists have come to see this as "normal,"
                              That would be because it IS. The first attempt at an atheist society was all of a century ago, and it's since collapsed.
                              and an atheist who says, "wait a sec...that excludes me" is a rabble rouser. Yet all that is being said is "can our currency simply be silent about gods, so we can all use it without conflict?"

Terrible, that....
                              This seems sort of ...snowflake-ish. It's like you feel the need to be protected from the very idea of God.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                This seems sort of ...snowflake-ish. It's like you feel the need to be protected from the very idea of God.
                                Which tends to suggest that one doesn't so much believe God doesn't exist, but that one refuses to acknowledge Him.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment