Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NFL�s Proposed National Anthem Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    but the the other players are allowed to express their political speech by standing for the anthem and they are doing what the NFL wants, so they are allowed out in public, while the NFL hides away people who don't support the political speech they want to promote.

It would be like a an Indian owned bank said Hindu employees can openly pray in public areas but Christians had to go to the break room to pray.
    I don't really know that the religious component is legitimate - again, if I applied for work at an Indian owned bank, and they said "we start each day with a Hindu prayer, and you don't have to pray, but you do need to be quietly respectful", I would need to make up my mind if that would be a problem for me. If I took that job on those terms, then subsequently decided that didn't work...

And the NFL is clearly a SPECTATOR sport and most definitely a TEAM sport... their revenue is based on what the fans and sponsors and stakeholders see on the field. These "protesters" are fully aware of that, and are taking advantage of that for their own purposes at the expense of the owners. It's like stealing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I don't really know that the religious component is legitimate - again, if I applied for work at an Indian owned bank, and they said "we start each day with a Hindu prayer, and you don't have to pray, but you do need to be quietly respectful", I would need to make up my mind if that would be a problem for me. If I took that job on those terms, then subsequently decided that didn't work...

And the NFL is clearly a SPECTATOR sport and most definitely a TEAM sport... their revenue is based on what the fans and sponsors and stakeholders see on the field. These "protesters" are fully aware of that, and are taking advantage of that for their own purposes at the expense of the owners. It's like stealing.
      I am still torn on the matter.

The amendment for freedom of religion and of speech is the same one. That is why I used the religion example. If a business allows you to have displays of religion in the workplace, then they can't play favorites. (I know there are exceptions for religious organizations). The same goes for political speech. If a company allows political speech, then they can't control what it should be or play favorites. Allowing or expecting players to stand for the anthem is endorsing political speech. I don't see how they can play favorites without breaking the law. They can say "no political speech or action from anyone" just like a company can say "no public displays of religion in the workplace"

Comment

I am still torn on the matter.
        And I really don't have a dog in the fight - I don't watch TV football.

The amendment for freedom of religion and of speech is the same one. That is why I used the religion example. If a business allows you to have displays of religion in the workplace, then they can't play favorites. (I know there are exceptions for religious organizations). The same goes for political speech.
        Actually, it's the government who can't play favorites under the 1st amendment, not private businesses. If I have a Christian Greeting Card company, or a Christian Book Store, I don't have to sell Qurans or Mormon books.

If a company allows political speech, then they can't control what it should be or play favorites. Allowing or expecting players to stand for the anthem is endorsing political speech. I don't see how they can play favorites without breaking the law. They can say "no political speech or action from anyone" just like a company can say "no public displays of religion in the workplace"
        This doesn't sound like you. Is this your devil's advocate mode?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          The singular naughty swine is talking about the fact that you go so far as to avoid cash because it mentions God.
          Why on earth would I want to hand out a business card for something I do not believe?

If the money said, "We do not believe in god," would you be using cash?
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            And I really don't have a dog in the fight - I don't watch TV football.

Actually, it's the government who can't play favorites under the 1st amendment, not private businesses. If I have a Christian Greeting Card company, or a Christian Book Store, I don't have to sell Qurans or Mormon books.
            There are exceptions for religious-based companies and organizations. And what they sell is not the same as how their employees are treated.

If a company makes an exception for their employees' religion in the workplace, they can't pick and choose. If they allow Christians to display crosses at their desk, they have to allow Hindus to display Ganesh idols.

This doesn't sound like you. Is this your devil's advocate mode?
            Just trying to look at things form all sides.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              Why on earth would I want to hand out a business card for something I do not believe?

If the money said, "We do not believe in god," would you be using cash?
              It only says we TRUST God

Comment

It only says we TRUST God

And if it said "In god we do not trust," would you distribute the money...?
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I take all reasonable measures to avoid distributing money.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Just trying to look at things form all sides.
                    That's cool. I don't really have an iron-clad position, but I have yet to see why the NFL, or any business, can't determine the conduct of its employees during working hours, assuming they're not asking them to do anything unethical, illegal or immoral.

Again, if you signed a mega contract with me, knowing the expectations, then later just decided to choose your own agenda over mine, I'd have a right to call you to task. If you had a problem with the way I was running my business, I would expect you to come and talk to me about it, not just launch your own protest on my dime. You'd be essentially stabbing me in the back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      Yes, I'm much more interested in collecting it, because....

when your outgo exceeds your income
                      your upkeep becomes your downfall

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        Ummm... yeah... bad choice of words...

Comment

I tell you what... You can send me all of your cash, and for a 20% fee I will do one of the following (your choice)

1. Scratch out all of the words "in God we trust" and send the cash back to you.
                          2. or, convert the money to a VISA debit card or some other digital form for you.

Comment

I tell you what... You can send me all of your cash, and for a 20% fee I will do one of the following (your choice)

1. Scratch out all of the words "in God we trust" and send the cash back to you.
                            2. or, convert the money to a VISA debit card or some other digital form for you.
                            Better go with #2 since the first is deliberate defacement.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And I note you did not answer the question....

So - again...if the U.S. Currency said "In god we do not trust..." would you use the money, or try to do everything possible to use electronic currency?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Better go with #2 since the first is deliberate defacement.
                                I am a pirate, I am willing to take the risk.

Comment