Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take Back Our Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Sure I have Tass, a number of times with you. Just read the teachings of Christ and the New Testament in general.
    The problem with this is that preexisting values and changing social mores guide interpretation of the bible. There can be no way to arrive at a universal objective morality when members of competing sects and denominations hold absolute bible-based beliefs which are mutually exclusive

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      The problem with this is that preexisting values and changing social mores guide interpretation of the bible. There can be no way to arrive at a universal objective morality when members of competing sects and denominations hold absolute bible-based beliefs which are mutually exclusive
      Again, the moral injunctions in Scripture are not hard to understand nor do they need interpretation. We all understand what stealing is, fraud, murder, lying, adultery, homosexuality, envy, selfishness, etc... We understand the golden rule, what it means to love our fellow man.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        By definition, truth is the relationship between a statement/claim and its accuracy in reflecting reality. So of course it is relational. How could it be anything else? You have another way of defining what "truth" is an how it is determined?
        So, no answer...?
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

So, no answer...?
          Truth is a proposition, for instance you said: truth is the relationship between a statement/claim and its accuracy in reflecting reality. That is a truth claim in itself. But it can not be an absolute claim, it is no more than an educated guess based on experience. So your statement is not an indisputable "truth." It is a provisional understanding. Then when looking at "facts" we soon run into the problem of induction.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Truth is a proposition, for instance you said: truth is the relationship between a statement/claim and its accuracy in reflecting reality. That is a truth claim in itself. But it can not be an absolute claim, it is no more than an educated guess based on experience. So your statement is not an indisputable "truth." It is a provisional understanding. Then when looking at "facts" we soon run into the problem of induction.
            Yes, truth is a proposition. Not all propositions, however, are "true." So what makes a proposition true? Can you define this in a non-relative way? That word (relative) seems to bother you.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Yes, truth is a proposition. Not all propositions, however, are "true." So what makes a proposition true? Can you define this in a non-relative way? That word (relative) seems to bother you.
              Sure, the oracles of God are non-relative truths. His attributes are non-relative truths. And when we apprehend these facts, we have apprehended absolute truths.

Comment

Sure, the oracles of God are non-relative truths. His attributes are non-relative truths. And when we apprehend these facts, we have apprehended absolute truths.
                Note that I am not asking you what you believe to be "real." "Real" and "True" are not the same thing. Real is something that actually exists. True is a value assigned to a statement/proposition when it aligns with what is real.

So the "oracles of god" appear to me to be statements/propositions, correct? That would mean they are true if they align with reality, and false if they do not.

God's attributes either exist or they do not. They are not "statements" or "propositions." A statement or proposition would be "An attribute of God is X." Again, that statement/proposition is true if those are actually god's attributes, and false if they are not.

Any time we have apprehended a proposition that is "true" we have apprehended an "absolute truth," so you're not saying anything new here. If I say, "my wife's name is Theresa" and her name is actually Theresa, then that statement is absolutely true, unless your definition of "absolutely" means something different than I am used to.
                Last edited by carpedm9587; 06-28-2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

How do you know these are non-relative truths?
                  Because God is immutable, His character and attributes can not be other than they are. He can not lie, be unjust, He can not cease to exist. Is all knowing, merciful, omnipresent, supremely powerful, good, timeless, etc...

Comment

Any time we have apprehended a proposition that is "true" we have apprehended an "absolute truth," so you're not saying anything new here. If I say, "my wife's name is Theresa" and her name is actually Theresa, then that statement is absolutely true, unless your definition of "absolutely" means something different than I am used to.
                    Unless she decides to change her name. So it is a provisional or relative truth. I'm speaking of truths that can not change. I would put things like that the laws of logic or mathematics in this category, but even here I would say they are so because they proceed from the mind of God, it is how God thinks.

Comment

Because God is immutable, His character and attributes can not be other than they are. He can not lie, be unjust, He can not cease to exist. Is all knowing, merciful, omnipresent, supremely powerful, good, timeless, etc...
                      These are all propositions about god. They are true propositions if god is those things, and false propositions if god is not those things, or simply is not. So, again, how do you assess the truth of a proposition if it is not relative to reality? You seem to think you have a more "absolute" way of doing this and that "truth" is not about the relationship between a proposition and the reality it reflects. Propositions are, by definition, symbolic representations of reality. It is not clear to me how they can be anything other than relative.

Comment

Unless she decides to change her name. So it is a provisional or relative truth. I'm speaking of truths that can not change. I would put things like that the laws of logic or mathematics in this category, but even here I would say they are so because they proceed from the mind of God, it is how God thinks.
                        "My wife's name is Theresa," is a specific statement uttered in a specific time (hence the "is," as in "is now"). But if that is still too "relative" for you, we can shift it slightly, "Michel's wife's name was Theresa at 11:01 AM on 6/28/18." If you want me to add unique information for identity purposes, I could ad our Soc. Sec and specific locale, right down to planet, solar system, and galaxy.

Once we frame a sentence in terms of space and time, it becomes unchangably true. So I guess I don't get your distinction....

Comment

BTW - how do you know god is immutable?

Comment

BTW - how do you know god is immutable?
                            He tells us...

Comment

"My wife's name is Theresa," is a specific statement uttered in a specific time (hence the "is," as in "is now"). But if that is still too "relative" for you, we can shift it slightly, "Michel's wife's name was Theresa at 11:01 AM on 6/28/18." If you want me to add unique information for identity purposes, I could ad our Soc. Sec and specific locale, right down to planet, solar system, and galaxy.

Once we frame a sentence in terms of space and time, it becomes unchangably true. So I guess I don't get your distinction....
                              Again, what her name is, is not an absolute truth, if it can change, it is relative.
                              Last edited by seer; 06-28-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

These are all propositions about god. They are true propositions if god is those things, and false propositions if god is not those things, or simply is not. So, again, how do you assess the truth of a proposition if it is not relative to reality? You seem to think you have a more "absolute" way of doing this and that "truth" is not about the relationship between a proposition and the reality it reflects. Propositions are, by definition, symbolic representations of reality. It is not clear to me how they can be anything other than relative.
                                I have no idea what that means, God's being and character can not be relative. All that is necessary is that God revel these facts to us, then we know those absolute truths.

Comment