Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is the US government good for our health?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparko, are you making fun of my thread?
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    um.... no. Vaccines are dead (or sometimes live but weakened) forms of the disease-causing virus. It is biological. Drugs are chemicals.
    Vaccines do contain stuff such as aluminum, mercury, formaldehyde, etc. I think the FDA does have jurisdiction over vaccines anyway.
    In what twisted way does your mind even connect something like that? Does that mean because Nazi's gassed Jews that our government is doing that too?
    That is an example of why I am wondering if you are making fun of my thread. I'm thinking of asking you to stop posting here.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
      Sparko, are you making fun of my thread?
      Vaccines do contain stuff such as aluminum, mercury, formaldehyde, etc. I think the FDA does have jurisdiction over vaccines anyway.
      That is an example of why I am wondering if you are making fun of my thread. I'm thinking of asking you to stop posting here.
      You don't know anything about vaccines. That is clear. You just like conspiracies.

Yes, there ARE conspiracies out there, but you seem to glom on to the most outlandish and paranoid ones that people come up with. I think it is because you want some drama in your otherwise boring life. Thinking the government and big pharma are out to get you and you are spreading the word against them makes you feel special.

If you want to shut down any opposing views to your own, feel free to ban me from your thread. That way you can start your own conspiracy of silencing opponents.

Comment

Ideally, the buyer does not have to be wary. The FDA, the CDC, and the W (short for Whatever) is on alert for any hanky panky in the market.

Phooey! Go in any drug store or pharmacy and look at the pain relievers. Look at the ingredients of every bottle that you take off the shelf. You might be surprised. Bayer has a product that doesn't contain asprin. Motrin has a product that doesn't contain ibuprofen. Tylenol has a product that doesn't contain acetaminophen. You might even find mixtures. Are you willing to trust your health to a mix whose side effects may be worse and less known overall than those of single-active-ingredient products?

Comment

Ideally, the buyer does not have to be wary. The FDA, the CDC, and the W (short for Whatever) is on alert for any hanky panky in the market.

Phooey! Go in any drug store or pharmacy and look at the pain relievers. Look at the ingredients of every bottle that you take off the shelf. You might be surprised. Bayer has a product that doesn't contain asprin. Motrin has a product that doesn't contain ibuprofen. Tylenol has a product that doesn't contain acetaminophen. You might even find mixtures. Are you willing to trust your health to a mix whose side effects may be worse and less known overall than those of single-active-ingredient products?
          Bayer, Motrin, and Tylenol are company names, not drug names.

Do you hide out in a bunker somewhere? Or live in a plastic bubble with filtered air?

Comment

A book is out that purports to show that disease in the gut can unhinge the brain as well as create systematic disorder.
            http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Belly-Sur...th+scott+mumby

That is relevant to the case of Dr Anthony Wakefield, who with other people suggested that certain conditions in the gut could create certain brain dysfunctions.

Big Food's lawyers and lobbyists are working hard to get the FDA to allow GMO food to be labeled "natural." And allow Big Food companies to ignore legislation in various states to put "GMO" on the food labels--that is, there would be a federal law that trumps the state legislation.

I'm not sure why the issue of labeling is so important. If people won't work hard to stay healthy, they deserve to get sick. To be sure, it should not be so much harder to stay healthy now than before, but that is our fault anyway.

Fortunately, there is one word that so far remains, ummm, pure: "Organic." "USDA organic." Or grow most of your food. Try sprouts. They don't require soil and light, until the green shoots appear. They do require work, to keep the equipment clean, insure good drainage, and harvest at the right time. I am only beginning to study sprouting, so I can't give any more advice.

Comment

Bayer, Motrin, and Tylenol are company names, not drug names.
              Tylenol the name of a company? What is the stock symbol? In any case, the point was public association with specific products. If Joe or Joette sees Bayer, the first association is a specific kind of aspirin. As for Motrin, maybe the first association to pop up in your noggin is . . . a certain company, I guess.

Do you hide out in a bunker somewhere? Or live in a plastic bubble with filtered air?
              Neither. I actually live in a space wheel community. Maybe it's right above your noggin as I type this.

Comment

A mention today (Monday May 5) of The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teichholz
                http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Fat-Su...g+fat+surprise
                came as a surprise to me. The reviews in the page linked above do not explicitly mention the USG's role in creating and perpetuating the food myths that have now reigned supreme for sixty years, but you can read between the lines.

Comment

Apparently people were arguing that flu drugs such as Tamiflu and Relenza can prevent flu complications such as hospitalization and transmission of the flu virus by sick people. Dr Mark Stengler threw cold water on such claims in an email, citing a major new study by the Cochrane Collaboration. He recommended the following natural remedies instead of those drugs: N-acetycysteine (NAC) for prevention and treatment; vitamin C supplement; intravenous injection of vitamin C.

Comment

Apparently people were arguing that flu drugs such as Tamiflu and Relenza can prevent flu complications such as hospitalization and transmission of the flu virus by sick people. Dr Mark Stengler threw cold water on such claims in an email, citing a major new study by the Cochrane Collaboration. He recommended the following natural remedies instead of those drugs: N-acetycysteine (NAC) for prevention and treatment; vitamin C supplement; intravenous injection of vitamin C.

Uh-oh. Your other regular source Mercola says this about NAC:

Source: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/09/25/this-common-antioxidant-supplement-could-cause-you-loads-of-trouble.aspx

N-acetylcysteine (NAC): This Common Antioxidant Supplement Could Cause You Loads of Trouble

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

The article does not mention the dosage limit. It did mention that studies were planned to determine that. The article is old, published 2007. The Wikipedia article does not mention the study that Mercola's article mentioned. Still, it may be wise to consult your doctor.

Comment

For the FDA to do a good job--indeed justifiy its existence--it must avoid basing decisions on shoddy or bogus "scientific" studies (clinical trials, for example). Unfortunately, all too many studies are indeed bogus or shoddy. One recent example is the SELECT Trial. I understand that the MSM hyped it up, leading many people to stop taking fish oil. That is despite many studies from years ago that found benefits from taking it. Study after study continue to roll in. Take a gander at these references:
                        1. Galet,C. et al. Effect of a Low-fat Fish Oil Diet on Pro-inflammatory Eicosanoids and
                        Cell Cycle Progression Score in Men Undergoing Radical Prostatectomy. Cancer Prev Res.
                        Published online October 29, 2013.
                        2. Y.T. Wen, J.H. Dai, Q. Gao. Effects of Omega-3 fatty acid on major cardiovascular events
                        and mortality in patients with coronary heart disease: A meta-analysis of randomized
                        controlled trials. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
                        3. Teta, D. Fish oil for prevention of sudden death in hemodialysis patients? Kidney
                        International (2013).
                        [Thanks Dr. Mark Stengler]

Comment

For the FDA to do a good job--indeed justifiy its existence--it must avoid basing decisions on shoddy or bogus "scientific" studies (clinical trials, for example).
                          You consider all clinical trials to be bogus? You're in crank land at this point Augustine.

Comment

For the FDA to do a good job--indeed justifiy its existence--it must avoid basing decisions on shoddy or bogus "scientific" studies (clinical trials, for example). Unfortunately, all too many studies are indeed bogus or shoddy. One recent example is the SELECT Trial. I understand that the MSM hyped it up, leading many people to stop taking fish oil. That is despite many studies from years ago that found benefits from taking it. Study after study continue to roll in. Take a gander at these references:
                            [Thanks Dr. Mark Stengler]
                            Oh the irony of TS saying we should avoid making decisions on bogus scientific studies.

Comment

Oh the irony of TS saying we should avoid making decisions on bogus scientific studies.

Please be specific and thorough at least for the sake of the readers of this thread.

Comment

Please be specific and thorough at least for the sake of the readers of this thread.
                                The readers of this thread know exactly what I am saying, TS. No worries.

Comment