Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is the US government good for our health?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    The Evil FDA is banning trans fat in processed food.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm372915.htm

What do you think about that?
    What are you hoping for? Acknowledgement that it is evidence that the FDA is not evil? Maybe after you acknowledge that it took the FDA decades, time after time of allowing some transfat in the standard American diet (SAD), before the ban.

To be sure, I'm not certain it's a good idea to refer to the SAD here. Maybe a mistake in fact, though I will point out in my defense that "standard" implies government regulation or recommendation.

Comment

• Disclaimer: "Buyer beware!" The government should have made the market a honest place, but that caveat is still necessary. The risks that you decide to take on are solely your responsibility. Whatever advice you take from my posts here has to be treated with due diligence. I cannot guarantee that I will never make a mistake, but your health or that of your dependents is still solely your responsibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        What are you hoping for? Acknowledgement that it is evidence that the FDA is not evil? Maybe after you acknowledge that it took the FDA decades, time after time of allowing some transfat in the standard American diet (SAD), before the ban.

To be sure, I'm not certain it's a good idea to refer to the SAD here. Maybe a mistake in fact, though I will point out in my defense that "standard" implies government regulation or recommendation.
        wow so nothing will satisfy you. The Government is evil if they don't do the right thing, and evil if they do the right thing. Got it

Comment

wow so nothing will satisfy you. The Government is evil if they don't do the right thing, and evil if they do the right thing. Got it
          Oh, wow, it looks like Sparko thinks the Nazis were not evil. You see, they did do some good stuff. Their acts were not always good, but some of the acts were good. The Nazis, good fellas.

Comment

Oh, wow, it looks like Sparko thinks the Nazis were not evil. You see, they did do some good stuff. Their acts were not always good, but some of the acts were good. The Nazis, good fellas.
            Godwin's law. I win.

Besides they did do some good. The Autobahn was the precursor to the Interstate highway system. Volkswagons were created by the Nazi's. They started an anti-tobacco campaign long before anyone else did. Invented rockets.
            Last edited by Sparko; 06-23-2015, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Congratulations, Sparko. But I will continue to pile on evidence upon evidence.

Comment

• Disclaimer: "Buyer beware!" The government should have made the market a honest place, but that caveat is still necessary. The risks that you decide to take on are solely your responsibility. Whatever advice you take from my posts here has to be treated with due diligence. I cannot guarantee that I will never make a mistake, but your health or that of your dependents is still solely your responsibility.

Comment: I would be extra cautious from now on citing stuff in WebMD or while doing research with WebMd. Jenny Thompson of HSI claimed that the FDA paid WebMd $millions to push for Obamacare.
                Those two items linked below are appalling
                http://google2.fda.gov/search?q=webm...td&getfields=*

Don't use WebMd if you want it to keep things private.
                http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...s-confidential
                Now, that may not seem to fit in this thread, but when a reader wants to cite the medical literature, he should not rely solely on WebMd, all right?

Comment

The Delaney Clause in federal food-additive law says that the FDA must yank off the market any additive that has been found to cause cancer in people or animals. Now many groups such as Center for Science in the Public Interest, the Center for Food Safety, the Natural resources Defense Council are petitioning the FDA to comply with the Delaney Clause, especially regarding those additives listed here:
                  Eight of the worst offenders include benzophenone; ethyl acrylate; eugenyl methyl ether; myrcene; pulegone; pyridine; styrene; and trans,trans-2,4-hexadienal.
                  ---- Jenny Thompson, HSI

You should look at the National Toxicology Program and its data on the toxicity of additives http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/

May we expect more foot-dragging by the FDA?

Comment

• Disclaimer: "Buyer beware!" The government should have made the market a honest place, but that caveat is still necessary. The risks that you decide to take on are solely your responsibility. Whatever advice you take from my posts here has
                    to be treated with due diligence. I cannot guarantee that I will never make a mistake, but your health or that of your
                    dependents is still solely your responsibility.

A paper reports a great many adverse events after "routine" immunizations of extremely low-birth-weight infants, far too many adverse events. Jenny Thompson of HSI who brought up this issue called it a matter of common sense gone AWOL.
                    http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/solr...chSourceType=3

Comment

A database you can check for doctors who accept money or free stuff like Tahiti vacations from drug and medical device companies:
                      Pharmaceutical and medical device companies are now required by law to release details of their payments to a variety of doctors and U.S. teaching hospitals for promotional talks, research and consulting, among other categories.
                      The database

More details in the media:
                      http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0PA30K20150630
                      http://www.wsj.com/articles/drug-and...014-1435694053

Some of you may be wondering, What does the government have to do with such a free flow of money from Big Medicine? I am not certain what the details of government involvement are, but I figure the government IS involved or at least not doing anything to lessen the cash flow when it could and should.

Comment

Disclaimer: "Buyer beware!" The government should have made the market a honest place, but that caveat is still necessary. The risks that you decide to take on are solely your responsibility. Whatever advice you take from my posts here has to be treated with due diligence. I cannot guarantee that I will never make a mistake, but your health or that of your dependents is still solely your responsibility.

A database you can check for doctors who accept money or free stuff like Tahiti vacations from drug and medical device companies:
                        Pharmaceutical and medical device companies are now required by law to release details of their payments to a variety of doctors and U.S. teaching hospitals for promotional talks, research and consulting, among other categories.
                        The database

More details in the media:
                        http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0PA30K20150630
                        http://www.wsj.com/articles/drug-and...014-1435694053

Some of you may be wondering, What does the government have to do with such a free flow of money from Big Medicine? I am not certain what the details of government involvement are, but I figure the government IS involved or at least not doing anything to lessen the cash flow when it could and should.
                        I looked up my doctor and she has gotten some payment from drug companies, But I think most of it was in the form of samples. One of the drugs she has on the list is VERY expensive (over $1000/month) and she gets the samples and give them to me when I visit because otherwise I could not afford the medicine.

Comment

I looked up my doctor and she has gotten some payment from drug companies, But I think most of it was in the form of samples. One of the drugs she has on the list is VERY expensive (over $1000/month) and she gets the samples and give them to me when I visit because otherwise I could not afford the medicine.
                          Why not let the world know what that is? Disclosure may make it possible for me to find medical papers about the results of clinical trials with that medicine.

Comment

Why not let the world know what that is? Disclosure may make it possible for me to find medical papers about the results of clinical trials with that medicine.
                            Yeah. No thanks.

Comment

Yeah. No thanks.
                              What do you mean, "no thanks"? I mean, what led you to write that?

Comment

What do you mean, "no thanks"? I mean, what led you to write that?
                                You wanting to stick your conspiratorial nose into my personal business. You don't need to know what medicine I have to take, nor what for.

Comment