Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Voter Suppression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    One point at a time James, felony disenfranchisement; as you will see in the link all states but two have restrictions on voting for felons. Both liberal and conservative states. So why is this only a "Republican" thing?
    Inadvertently, you ask the right question. Why IS this only a Republican thing? Why IS it that all the states asking for additional ID (procured by using the same ID that used to be good enough!) are run by Republicans? The probability of this happening by chance are infinitesimal. Since voter impersonation fraud is essentially nonexistent even in Republican states, what other reason might they have?

Could it POSSIBLY have something to do with the fact that those not meeting the new requirements vote overwhelmingly Democrat?

I see the same arguments here - that asking mostly Democrats to jump through sometimes many hoops to register than those who are mostly Republican, really doesn't matter because the hoops are easy to jump through in some states.

And so when JimL produces a whole list of hoops that coincidentally affect nearly entirely Democratic voters, seer selects one (of nine) items on the list, ignores all the others, and misrepresents the intent of that item.

And once again (if it hasn't already been pointed out), these Republican efforts backfired where they had any effect at all. Turns out most of those lacking appropriate ID didn't ever bother to vote anyway, and the new laws tended to motivate some of those people to get out and get the ID and vote. To the best of my knowledge, the laws ended up not changing the results, or even the margins, of any important elections.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
      And so when JimL produces a whole list of hoops that coincidentally affect nearly entirely Democratic voters, seer selects one (of nine) items on the list, ignores all the others, and misrepresents the intent of that item.
      First Phank I'm not ignoring the rest, I'm taking one at a time. I picked one that I knew a bit about - and what did I misrepresent?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

One point at a time James, felony disenfranchisement; as you will see in the link all states but two have restrictions on voting for felons. Both liberal and conservative states. So why is this only a "Republican" thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_disenfranchisement
        Thats true, but if you look at the map the laws are more egregious in Republican States and they have subtle rules that make it difficult for felons to get their voting rights restored. In other words Republican Governed States are manipulating these laws to their particular advantage. For example, in Fla. Governor Scott recently changed the law to make it more difficult for felons to get their voting rights restored. There are 6 million felons that have been disenfranchised Nationwide and 1.5 million of those reside in Fla. President Obama barely won Fla. but without the disenfranchisement of Felons and the other suppression tactics employed by Scott and the Republican legislature he would have won it going away.

http://www.aclu.org/maps/map-state-c...nchisement-law

Here are the top ten States with the highest percentage of disenfranchised voters:
        Fla., Mississippi, Kentucky, Virginia, Alabama, Tennessee,Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, and Georgia. Notice a pattern there?

Comment

I like the implicit admission in JimL's posts that hardcore criminals swing far left.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            I like the implicit admission in JimL's posts that hardcore criminals swing far left.
            I wonder if he's talking from experience, for a change.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Thats true, but if you look at the map the laws are more egregious in Republican States and they have subtle rules that make it difficult for felons to get their voting rights restored. In other words Republican Governed States are manipulating these laws to their particular advantage. For example, in Fla. Governor Scott recently changed the law to make it more difficult for felons to get their voting rights restored. There are 6 million felons that have been disenfranchised Nationwide and 1.5 million of those reside in Fla. President Obama barely won Fla. but without the disenfranchisement of Felons and the other suppression tactics employed by Scott and the Republican legislature he would have won it going away.

http://www.aclu.org/maps/map-state-c...nchisement-law

Here are the top ten States with the highest percentage of disenfranchised voters:
              Fla., Mississippi, Kentucky, Virginia, Alabama, Tennessee,Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, and Georgia. Notice a pattern there?
              Well first Jim, you are going to have to do better than the ACLU. I need an independent source. Second, it is just as likely that the Democrats make it easier for felons to vote because they know a large percentage of criminals vote Democratic. Not that the Dems care about disenfranchisement,they just want the votes and power. And don't think for a second James that the Dems are not doing all they can to make to easier for illegals to vote. Effectively that is what "same day registration" will accomplish. If I remember correct ACORN workers were charge with election fraud around this.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...lection-fraud/

Besides Jim, to be honest - I don't want more people voting - most of them are to stupid, or are getting government benefits and just keep voting in the sugar daddies that keep the gravy train going.
              Last edited by seer; 04-19-2014, 01:42 PM.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

First Phank I'm not ignoring the rest, I'm taking one at a time. I picked one that I knew a bit about - and what did I misrepresent?
                It's pretty easy, you didn't do what Phank and Jimmy did. Assume that republicans are evil master minds, attempting to take over the world and democrats are world saviors attempting to prevent their evil take over.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  It's pretty easy, you didn't do what Phank and Jimmy did. Assume that republicans are evil master minds, attempting to take over the world and democrats are world saviors attempting to prevent their evil take over.
                  Yeah...I don't really want to argue with anyone that says that Republicans, generally speaking, are greedy and corrupt, but when they hold up the Democrats as some kind of model of political altruism....

Right.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

ALL politicians are evil.

Republicans just fake it better, and Democrats get more help from the media.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      Yeah...I don't really want to argue with anyone that says that Republicans, generally speaking, are greedy and corrupt, but when they hold up the Democrats as some kind of model of political altruism....

Right.
                      That is what happens when you assume those who happen to generally agree with you, are saints and those who don't are evil masterminds plotting world domination. I guess Jimmy and Phank didn't hear that Democrats tried to get votes thrown out from military member stationed over seas and a court order made them have to count them. Democrats and Republicans alike have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        ALL politicians are evil.

Republicans just fake it better, and Democrats get more help from the media.
                        Alternatively:

The difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats will tax you, spend more, and be proud of it; Republicans will tax you, spend more, and feel bad about it.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Alternatively:

The difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats will tax you, spend more, and be proud of it; Republicans will tax you, spend more, and feel bad about it.
                          What gets me is that when the Democrats elect a big time tax and spend liberal their leadership tends to fast track them into positions of increasing power and influence. OTOH when the Republicans elect someone who is legitimately trying to curb spending and the power wielded by Washington their leadership seems to be embarrassed by them and seek to keep them restrained to the back bench.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Alternatively:

It's what they tax and spend on that differentiates between the two. Republicans spend your tax dollars by subsidizing the wealthy corporations, Democrats spend it subsidizing the needy. The latter helps not only those in need but also helps the economy since all that money goes back into the economy. The former merely makes the fat cats richer, enlarges thier offshore bank accounts. Btw, much more of your tax dollars go to corporate welfare than does to so called entitlements, you know, those programs that we pay for as a safety net for ourselves if we should one day need them. Apparently there are no Republicans who were ever on welfare, medicare, medicaid, social security, unemployment insurance etc. etc. Don't no the exact numbers, but last I heard about 50% more is spent on corporate welfare than on entitlements, not to mention the trillions we spend on the military industrial complex. But Republicans don't seem to mind that so much, so long as those corporations benifitting are lining their pockets with campaign cash. Yeah, I know, there are corrupt Democrats as well, its an inherent problem with the system, but it is for the most part Republicans, not Democrats who want to slash entitlements and support corporate welfare. Yeah, you belong to the so called Christian party of the rich who pretend to follow the teachings of Jesus to care for the poor and downtrodden. Pathetic really.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              It's what they tax and spend on that differentiates between the two. Republicans spend your tax dollars by subsidizing the wealthy corporations, Democrats spend it subsidizing the needy.
                              They do? Than go right ahead and point out a single time where a Democrat has ended subsidizing wealth corporations or are you too stupid to figure out that Democrats are also rich and thus want to do things to support the rich as much as possible. Isn't it interesting that despite having both houses and the presidency for two years, they didn't end subsidizing to the wealthy nor did they do much of anything to end all the loops holes that the rich enjoy in order to get around paying taxes? Wow, they have you drinking that kool-aid 24/7. Don't they.

The latter helps not only those in need but also helps the economy since all that money goes back into the economy.
                              Yeah, right into the pockets of all those rich people.

The former merely makes the fat cats richer, enlarges thier offshore bank accounts.
                              Yeah and spending money at their stores and on their products doesn't fatten their offshore bank accounts nor make these fat cats richer.

Btw, much more of your tax dollars go to corporate welfare than does to so called entitlements, you know, those programs that we pay for as a safety net for ourselves if we should one day need them.
                              Yeah, the same entitlements that the Democrats did nothing to end when they controlled the house and the presidency for two years. If they really cared about the poor, why did they end these entitlements to the rich Jimmy or are you still too stupid to figure out that the rich have the democrats in their pockets as much as you accuse them of having the republicans in their pockets?

Apparently there are no Republicans who were ever on welfare, medicare, medicaid, social security, unemployment insurance etc. etc.
                              And apparently, there is no rich democrats that want these programs to continue and try to fool stupid people, such as you, into voting for them.

Don't no the exact numbers, but last I heard about 50% more is spent on corporate welfare than on entitlements, not to mention the trillions we spend on the military industrial complex. But Republicans don't seem to mind that so much, so long as those corporations benifitting are lining their pockets with campaign cash. Yeah, I know, there are corrupt Democrats as well, its an inherent problem with the system, but it is for the most part Republicans, not Democrats who want to slash entitlements and support corporate welfare. Yeah, you belong to the so called Christian party of the rich who pretend to follow the teachings of Jesus to care for the poor and downtrodden. Pathetic really.
                              And remember people, Jimmy doesn't believe rich democrats exist and doesn't ask himself why the democrats are not doing anything to end these programs that he says are so bad and evil. So, how does that Kool-Aid taste?
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I hate both parties.
                                The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment