Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

College librarians argue Christians who say 'God bless you' are Islamophobic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faber View Post
    ... I get offended when somebody suggests an old superstition. I'm a Christian, ...
    Such temptation.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Such temptation.
      It appears there's yet a vestige of it left in you.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        My understanding is that people once said "God bless you" after a person sneezes because they believed the soul escapes the body during a sneeze, and by asking God's blessing, it would return quickly back to the body before Satan could snatch it. So yes, I get offended when somebody suggests an old superstition. I'm a Christian, and Satan isn't going to snatch my soul when I sneeze.
        It's Wikipedia but...

Source: God bless you

Origins and legends (meaning "good health"), the Spanish salud (also meaning "health") and the Hebrew laBri'ut (colloquial) or liVriut (classic) (both spelled: "לבריאות") (meaning "to health").

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I prefer saying "Gesundheit."
          So you assume everyone is a Nazi like yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwimac View Post
            Having read it, I can see what they are saying even if I disagree with it. The fact is that a workplace does get to define how it's employees interact with the public.
            It was not about a workplace, but guides to students doing research in the library and behavior on the campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
              Normally if someone says something like "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hannukah" it's because they know or think you are celebrating that holiday.
              correct. And if I am not, I am not offended by them assuming I am like them. I appreciate the sentiment and will wish it right back to them.

Even taking you to a shrine in their home and giving you a blessing is weird behavior unless they know or think you are of the same religion.
              no it isn't. If I visit a Muslim home and they want to say their prayers and invite me to join in, I would probably refuse politely since I am Christian, but I would not be offended by the offer.

You are making it out to be way more complicated than it really is. All you should do is not stereotype people and not assume people are Christian unless you have evidence.
              And all people actually have to do is not be offended by someone wishing them a greeting or blessing of their own religion or culture. It is not like they are cursing them out. They are wishing them well. Take the compliment and go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                So you assume everyone is a Nazi like yourself!
                Who are the Nazis? My most recent forbears came from imperial Deutschland.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Who are the Nazis? My most recent forbears came from imperial Deutschland.
                  A likely story comrade Piggy!

Comment

A likely story comrade Piggy!
                    Comrade? Are you Putin one over on me?
                    sigpic

Comment

Comrade? Are you Putin one over on me?

Comment

correct. And if I am not, I am not offended by them assuming I am like them. I appreciate the sentiment and will wish it right back to them.

no it isn't. If I visit a Muslim home and they want to say their prayers and invite me to join in, I would probably refuse politely since I am Christian, but I would not be offended by the offer.
                        It's nice that in these best-case scenarios that you wouldn't be troubled at all. Try to consider than non-Christians have been given a different role than you in society, have had different interactions with society, and are put in different situations by society. Think about the impact racial slurs against white people have vs racial slurs against black people. White people are the dominant group in our society, so racial microaggressions don't have the same impact. The same is true for religion. Also consider the degree to which people are really complaining about this kind of microaggression. If someone says Merry Christmas to a non-Christian because of an assumption that Christian is the default, that's not going to be a big deal at all. However, it is one of many things throughout that person's life that highlights the sentiment that they don't really belong.

And all people actually have to do is not be offended by someone wishing them a greeting or blessing of their own religion or culture. It is not like they are cursing them out. They are wishing them well. Take the compliment and go on.
                        The desire to want to wish people well is in contradiction with the action of making assumptions about people's religion or culture.

Comment

It's nice that in these best-case scenarios that you wouldn't be troubled at all. Try to consider than non-Christians have been given a different role than you in society, have had different interactions with society, and are put in different situations by society. Think about the impact racial slurs against white people have vs racial slurs against black people. White people are the dominant group in our society, so racial microaggressions don't have the same impact. The same is true for religion. Also consider the degree to which people are really complaining about this kind of microaggression. If someone says Merry Christmas to a non-Christian because of an assumption that Christian is the default, that's not going to be a big deal at all. However, it is one of many things throughout that person's life that highlights the sentiment that they don't really belong.
                          What is clear is that like most liberals, it is more important for you to feel offended, or find some social issue to be offended by on other's behalf, than in actual cooperation, tolerance, and everyone getting along. Tolerance means accepting that other people have different views than you. Different culture than you. Different ways than you. But rather than embrace those differences, you, like all hypocritical liberals want to divide people, cause hatred and foster offense.

Thank you for making it so clear. While paying lip service to tolerance, you show above how intolerant you actually are. Tolerance isn't making everyone act and believe as you do, it is accepting them AS THEY ARE, even if you don't agree with them. Especially if you don't agree with them. You don't have to believe as they do, or think they are right, but you can let them be with their own beliefs and not accuse them of aggression when all they do is welcome you into their world and culture. Even when it is by mistake.

The desire to want to wish people well is in contradiction with the action of making assumptions about people's religion or culture.
                          No it isn't. People can't read minds, and people wishing you well or welcoming strangers into their culture is being friendly, not offensive.

Comment

What is clear is that like most liberals, it is more important for you to feel offended, or find some social issue to be offended by on other's behalf, than in actual cooperation, tolerance, and everyone getting along. Tolerance means accepting that other people have different views than you. Different culture than you. Different ways than you. But rather than embrace those differences, you, like all hypocritical liberals want to divide people, cause hatred and foster offense.

Thank you for making it so clear. While paying lip service to tolerance, you show above how intolerant you actually are. Tolerance isn't making everyone act and believe as you do, it is accepting them AS THEY ARE, even if you don't agree with them. Especially if you don't agree with them. You don't have to believe as they do, or think they are right, but you can let them be with their own beliefs and not accuse them of aggression when all they do is welcome you into their world and culture. Even when it is by mistake.

No it isn't. People can't read minds, and people wishing you well or welcoming strangers into their culture is being friendly, not offensive.
                            "Tolerance means accepting that other people have different views than you."
                            "Tolerance isn't making everyone act and believe as you do, it is accepting them AS THEY ARE, even if you don't agree with them."
                            vs
                            "There's nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas to Jewish people."
                            Pick one.

A microaggression occurs when someone is inconsiderate of other people's feelings involving sociological classifications (race/religion/sex/etc.). If you stereotype people or assume everyone is a member of your group, you are not being tolerant or trying to get along.

If I give you a herd of elephants as a gift without considering whether or not you really want it or be able to care for it, am I truly being kind? Wouldn't it be better for me to take your feelings and personality and capabilities into account when I get you a gift? That's all I've been saying: think about the person you're trying to be nice to.

Also, saying I'm "looking to be offended" is a puerile characterization and not appropriate for someone who wants to maintain polite, rational discourse.
                            Last edited by Psychic Missile; 03-20-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

"Tolerance means accepting that other people have different views than you."
                              "Tolerance isn't making everyone act and believe as you do, it is accepting them AS THEY ARE, even if you don't agree with them."
                              vs
                              "There's nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas to Jewish people."
                              Pick one.
                              It's the same thing. If I say "Merry Christmas" to a Jewish person whom I do not know is Jewish, I am not being intolerant. I am merely wishing him well. He should tolerate my mistake. If he says, "Happy Hanukah" to me, I tolerate his mistake and his celebration of his faith and culture. I do not get offended. I don't start writing guides saying that Jewish people are making microaggressions against me by saying "Happy Hanukah."

A microaggression occurs when someone is inconsiderate of other people's feelings involving sociological classifications (race/religion/sex/etc.). If you stereotype people or assume everyone is a member of your group, you are not being tolerant or trying to get along.
                              There is no such thing as a "microaggression" it is a made up term by liberals to find offense at the tiniest perceived slight. It is intolerance personified.

If I give you a herd of elephants as a gift without considering whether or not you really want it or be able to care for it, am I truly being kind? Wouldn't it be better for me to take your feelings and personality and capabilities into account when I get you a gift? That's all I've been saying: think about the person you're trying to be nice to.
                              If you gave me a herd of elephants I would politely tell you "Thank you for the gesture. I appreciate your generosity but I don't have room for a herd of elephants" and I would not be offended in the least.

A muslim could say, "Thank your for your wish of a Merry Christmas, but I am Muslim and do not celebrate Christmas!" and I would say, "Oh, sorry for the mistake, Have a happy Ramadan!" and we would both have tolerated one another and lived happily ever after in a world of joy and peace, without fake liberal offenses. the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Idiotic Missile View Post
                                Typical pig-headed liberalism.

Look, it's very simple: I don't wish people a Merry Christmas because I assume they're a Christian. I wish them a Merry Christmas because I am a Christian. If people want to get their noses out of joint about it then surely that's their problem, and I have no obligation to appease them.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment