Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Seattle Residents Complained About A 'Confederate Flag.'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Truth does matter, and anybody who takes offense at the Norwegian flag should be ignored/ridiculed. None of this is my point. What I'm saying is that the battle flag in question is at this point in time the most frequent one used by people in the South proud of their heritage. There are several large Confederate flags in my neighborhood. None of them are the "actual" Confederate flag, which few people would recognize. Every single one is this particular battle flag. Why do you think that is?
    That has to do with the Civil Rights movement, actually - it's during that phase the the battle flag was re-envisioned as a rectangular flag and stuck up on everything - it was stupid then, too. But the REASON is simple - it could be legally poked up on state capitols where the Confederate flag(s) couldn't be. It was a protest flag, not a Confederate flag.

Then came the fight to take it down - and that's when it becomes associated with 'Southern Heritage'. It was an infantile response to an infantile movement. That whole thing was about headlines, not removal. Excepting maybe SC, taking it down would have been simple enough had people been willing to compromise - or just work the legislatures. But no, they go on talk shows rather than knock on doors. Fifteen years of the stupidest political fight in history (I STILL wish Reed and Holmes had actually tried to climb the capitol. ) and the result is even more people think that stupid thing is the Confederate flag... not that they know what any of them look like...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment