Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sane Discussion About Gun Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Or the "Kitchen Devils Lifestyle Double Edge Knife 302445"
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]26734[/ATTACH]
    I have a fully automatic assault kitchen knife.

Proctor-Silex-Stainless-Steel-Electric-Knife-with-One-Touch-Button-Control-Lightweight-with-Cont.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Mostly it's about raising flags:

1) when an individual is legally accumulating a stockpile of weapons.

2) when someone who previously acquired a weapon is convicted of a crime or diagnosed with a relevant mental illness.

3) when someone who previously acquired a weapon is added to the no fly or a terrorist watch list.

4) when there is an obvious concentration of weapons developing in a specific community

And, if we ever have laws that hold the owner accountable (at least in part) for crimes committed with their weapons, track ownership.
      That's all well and good, but the "no fly" list itself has been a disaster. The "underwear bomber" was on it, and slipped through unnoticed, yet thousands of innocent citizens - even including some US Senators - get stopped from boarding flights because they somehow managed to get on the list. Getting off the list is a nightmare.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The problem with "always" statements is there will usually be at least one exception. There are kitchen knives that are double-bladed and fixed hilt. There are weapons that are single-edged (e.g, a lot of swords). A scimitar is a nasty, one-edged weapon.
        There are loads - scimitars, axes, some pikes, tulwars, some sabres, etc. The history of pole-arm development is replete with examples including Swiss pikes and Lochaber axes. They aren't knives though.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          So they haven't started making them yet?
          Yes, they have - that's a picture of one... I was simply being open that this particular one is a fairly new one.

It doesn't look particularly useful as a kitchen knife. If nothing else you wouldn't be able to chop parsley with it because you couldn't put pressure on the back of the blade tip.
          I'm assuming you don't cook.

But ok, most combat knives are double-edged and most kitchen knives are single-edged.
          That's probably less wrong.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So they haven't started making them yet?

It doesn't look particularly useful as a kitchen knife. If nothing else you wouldn't be able to chop parsley with it because you couldn't put pressure on the back of the blade tip.

But ok, most combat knives are double-edged and most kitchen knives are single-edged.
            you can do a lot more damage slashing with a knife than just stabbing with it. You don't need a point to slash or chop at someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I just love Forged in Fire!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26731[/ATTACH]
              "Hey, you know those cooking shows with the women and effeminate guys making cupcakes? Well, let's do that, but with manly-men making knives!"

The premise is hilarious, but it's a fun show.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You must either eat exclusively in restaurants or the wife does all the cooking or else you would know that there are a whole slew of different kitchen knives each with a different function.
                24e0578f594236192f73a9549792e300.jpg

Comment

I don't recall saying I thought all killing tools should be registered. If I did - I mispoke and I apologize for the confusion. The reason for registering guns is their ability to do significant harm to multiple persons rapidly and at a distance. A knife does not have that characteristic. Secured - yes. Registered - no.
                  Who said anything about registration?

It seems that in your game of "avoid the question hopscotch", you forgot what you had previously claimed. Here's a little memory refresher...
                  Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  A combat knife, like a gun, should be given special consideration, IMO. A kitchen knife should not.
                  So I ask again, on what basis should a combat knife be given "special consideration" and not kitchen knives when they are identical for intents and purposes?

Seems like the only problem here is the "scary" name.

"Assault-style rifles and combat knives and bears! Oh my!"

I vote that from now on, we refer to them as "target practice rifles" and "deer-skinning knives" so they sound less threatening.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You must either eat exclusively in restaurants or the wife does all the cooking or else you would know that there are a whole slew of different kitchen knives each with a different function.
                    I made that exact point two posts ago.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      you can do a lot more damage slashing with a knife than just stabbing with it. You don't need a point to slash or chop at someone.
                      stabbing.jpg

They say I'm gonna be just fine, boss - thank God, it was only a kitchen knife.

Comment

I'm assuming you don't cook.
                        You're assuming wrong. I even worked in a restaurant kitchen for a while when younger.

Comment

You're assuming wrong. I even worked in a restaurant kitchen for a while when younger.
                          So, you're aware that all knives don't have to excel at chopping parsley.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26736[/ATTACH]
                            And they're all single-edged with no hilt...

Comment

So, you're aware that all knives don't have to excel at chopping parsley.
                              Luckily neither do all cooks

Comment

And they're all single-edged with no hilt...
                                Actually, they all have a hilt - which is simply the handle.

(you're probably referring to the more expanded definition which suggests a pommel and/or a guard?)

Nevertheless, they....

hqdefault.jpg

Comment