Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sane Discussion About Gun Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Since the second most popular method of suicide is suffocation/hanging and that is not particularly easy or pleasant, I think it is safe to say that if they don't have a gun they will go to another method. People who want to kill themselves use whatever method is handy once they make the decision. They don't usually plan it out or dwell on it. They just reach a point and do it.
    Sparko - you may think it is "safe to say," and your gut may tell you it is true. But you don't have data saying that is the case. You are missing information like, "how many people set out to hang themselves and changed their mind before they actually did?" and "How many people who set out shoot themselves and cannot (bad ammo, gun jam, etc.) go on to kill themselves via another means, and so forth. We are all guessing. We lack actual data and studies to justify pretty much any of our guesses. As a consequence, we are all flinging unsubstantiated claims around that lack any true basis in impartial research.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

So Trump seems to be ticking off Republicans and making Democrats happy with his comments on Gun Control.

---
      Trump: 'Take the guns first, go through due process second'http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...process-second
      Unfortunately - what he says on one day he reverses on the next - as soon as he sees which way the wind is blowing in his base. Sit tight. He'll probably reverse himself tomorrow.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

So Trump seems to be ticking off Republicans and making Democrats happy with his comments on Gun Control.

---
        Trump: 'Take the guns first, go through due process second'http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...process-second
        Basically, telling someone to violate due process is telling them to break the law. So, isn't this what gun owners are concerned about? If the government can sanction confiscation in some instances, why not in other instances? Are gun owners going to leave it up to the government to decide who is crazy and dangerous and who is not? That's the point of due process, no?
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          MM - my hoope was for a respectful conversation. Can we leave words like "insane" and your mocking emojis off the table, please.
          I was not aware that being respectful excluded candidness and honesty.

I also note that you completely avoided my argument, which makes me suspect that you don't have a good answer.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
            Basically, telling someone to violate due process is telling them to break the law. So, isn't this what gun owners are concerned about? If the government can sanction confiscation in some instances, why not in other instances? Are gun owners going to leave it up to the government to decide who is crazy and dangerous and who is not? That's the point of due process, no?
            pretty much. Trump has a way of letting his mouth run way ahead of his brain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              I was not aware that being respectful excluded candidness and honesty.
              It is possible to be candid, honest, and respectful. Please try.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              I also note that you completely avoided my argument, which makes me suspect that you don't have a good answer.
              You were responding to Adrift. I have already posted on this topic.

Comment

There could have been one extra step.... get an emergency order from a judge - not hard to do, I just recently had to do that for an EDP - and take away the guns (that can be done in the same day) THEN continue the due process.

The "emergency order" would be the beginning of the due process.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You were responding to Adrift.
                  I was quite definitely responding to you. I have no idea how Adrift's name got attached to the post, but I've corrected it.
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-01-2018, 08:49 AM.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And his fingers...

Comment

And his fingers...
                      To tell the truth I think his tweets are a lot more calculated than people think. A lot of it is him trolling the MSM. He knows he can take control of the news cycle with just a simple tweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I was quite definitely responding to you. I have no idea how Adrift's name got attached to the post, but I've corrected it.
                        Then my response is: almost anything can be used to kill. A hammer. A shish-kabob skewer. A broken piece of glass.

Then there are things that were designed to kill: a sword, certain types of knives, guns, bombs, etc.

The latter should be treated differently than the former. Cutting tools do not have the kind of ability to project lethal force that a gun or crossbow would, so the restrictions should be correspondingly different. What exactly those restrictions should be is a matter for study. Should they be required to be secured? Should there be different penalties governing their use? I have no idea. We don't have the data to make those kinds of recommendations, as far as I know.

Comment

To tell the truth I think his tweets are a lot more calculated than people think. A lot of it is him trolling the MSM. He knows he can take control of the news cycle with just a simple tweet.
                          Agreed. I don't think he is an idiot. I think he is a media savant - and a child in almost every other way.

Comment

Agreed. I don't think he is an idiot. I think he is a media savant - and a child in almost every other way.
                            What Trump said about his use of twitter during the campaign:

Comment

I missed the "unborn" in the sentence, so thanks for pointing that out. But abortion is not related to our discussion about guns.
                              The point was connected at one point (don't ask me to find it - it might even have been by me in another thread) with the "If abortion is protected by a right to privacy why is gun ownership not at least as well protected."
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

What Trump said about his use of twitter during the campaign:

I'm aware of Trump's position with respect to Twitter. I do not think use or nonuse of Twitter by a leader is good or bad intrinsically. I think Trump's use of it is illadvised (for him). Frankly, I hope he keeps using it. Most of the times he does, he fires up his base - and along with them the vast array of people who are working to defeat him. Trump is the primary thing keeping the left energized right now. His comments about guns may well be an attempt to try to tempt some of the left into his camp. Unfortunately, every time he tries to slide to the left, his base reacts.

Rock>Trump<Hard Place

Comment