Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sane Discussion About Gun Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
    Make that up yourself, Creacher?
    I've heard that for ages.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Normally in these liberal takeovers they will say "Oh you are overreacting! We don't want all _____ to be (legalized/banned) - that's just a slippery slope argument!" and then they do legalize or ban all ______ and say, why would any civilized person want ____ (or be opposed to _______?) You must be a Nazi!

[____ = Same Sex Marriage/Guns/Confederate symbols/Transgender Bathrooms/etc.
      I guess I don't fit in anywhere...

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Very few people fit in in those boxes of made up stereotypes. They often only serve to simplify a reality that is far more complex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          no you fit very well in a mainstream political group, we're just not allowed to use the (derisive) name for it here because it's too effective
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Very few people fit in in those boxes of made up stereotypes. They often only serve to simplify a reality that is far more complex.
            I'm still marveling at the jargon!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              no you fit very well in a mainstream political group, we're just not allowed to use the (derisive) name for it here because it's too effective

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                What is it that you do not dare to say?

Comment

What is it that you do not dare to say?
                  Isn't that like asking somebody to comment on Fight Club?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Isn't that like asking somebody to comment on Fight Club?
                    Chuck thinks he is being clever.

Comment

Which is why I responded accordingly.

Comment

Thinks being the operative word.
                        I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• OK, back to the topic at hand.....

I keep seeing 'gun deaths per capita' and 'guns owned per capita' stats as compared with other countries.

There IS no other country like the USA! We are unique. And, something I'd like to propose, for which I anticipate being blasted (do so civilly )

No other country on the face of the planet has changed culturally as much as we have changed in the last 50 years. Think about that - all those other countries cited have been in existence long before we were. And our inception was rather violent, including guns, against the British. That's part of our heritage. We glorify "the Minute Men" (at least, we did when I was a kid) in history, because they played a vital part in our rebellion from the crown. They probably saw us as terrorists, shooting from behind rocks and trees and not "playing fair" in marching in straight lines and shooting in organized volleys...

In fact, the whole 2nd Amendment thing come from this clash with the Brits, the Quartering Act, mistrust of the government, etc.

Meanwhile, in the last 50 years, we've had this whole sexual revolution, the whole "get rid of Christianity", the purging of the Judeo-Christian ethic, the attempt to wipe out any evidence that we were ever a "Christian nation", getting rid of the concept of the sanctity of human life, the attack on the nuclear family, the denigration of "absolutes", and the "anything goes" culture.

And, I'd admit we brought a lot of problems on ourselves with the whole concept of slavery and its aftermath.

Most of us who have been around a while reminisce about the good old days when you could, indeed, leave your loaded firearm on the kitchen table, knowing nobody would misuse it, or we were trained in the safe use, we were schooled in the respect of our elders, the value of the (again) sanctity of human life....

We have changed drastically since Ozzie and Harriet and Leave it to Beaver and Happy Days.

What other nation (of the ones being used to compare our gun use / death / per capita stuff) has had a similar (even close) drastic change in their own culture over the past 50 years.

So, is it really fair to compare the US to other nations where there are so many other factors involved, so as to make "statistics" pretty much irrelevant?

Comment

I asked a question and so far I have not been given an answer. It seems all you can come up with is personal attacks. I wonder if you think that is clever?

Comment

I asked a question and so far I have not been given an answer. It seems all you can come up with is personal attacks. I wonder if you think that is clever?
                              I thought you were being humorous, and I responded in kind. My apologies if I was in error.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                I thought you were being humorous, and I responded in kind. My apologies if I was in error.
                                I took no offense in what you wrote. No problem, don't worry.

Comment