Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    How bout let's wait for more facts to come out.
    I think this "teacher shooter" story died, no?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think this "teacher shooter" story died, no?
      Yes. I'm professionally curious about what happened. It's kind of a personal nightmare of mine to snap and barricade myself in my classroom and make a public asinine display of myself--> I mean, moreso than normal.
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        Yes. I'm professionally curious about what happened. It's kind of a personal nightmare of mine to snap and barricade myself in my classroom and make a public asinine display of myself--> I mean, moreso than normal.
        I think, because it doesn't serve the purpose of the gun control crowd, that it's pretty much dropped. I'm curious, too, but it's one of those that started out sounding like it was going to be a big deal, then it sounds like it's one teacher who was NOT authorized to have a gun, but was unhappy about something - we don't know what. He had no intent whatsoever to hurt kids - he locked them out of his room, and he fired one shot out the window at nothing.

A nothingburger. But, yeah, I'm curious as to what upset him.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Apparently his kid was/is sick or something (possibly dead?), he stressed out, hid his gun in a laptop case, went to the school, kicked the kids out of the classroom, barricaded himself in, and the best guess is that he was then going to attempt suicide. The principal was outside of the room, and was attempting to coax him out of the room, and the dude shot at a window or something in the general direction of the principal in order to make him go away (doesn't appear he was trying to kill him or anything). That was the only gun shot. Police got there, were able to get in, cuff him, and take him to the station.

I read about all this in a forum where students of his were discussing the issue. By all accounts he was a good teacher, and people enjoyed his classes. One ex-student said that it seemed totally out of character for him, another said that it wasn't completely out of character, and he was familiar with he occasionally expressing signs of stress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Apparently his kid was/is sick or something, he stressed out, hid his gun in a laptop case, went to the school, kicked the kids out of the classroom, barricaded himself in, and the best guess is that he was then going to attempt suicide. The principal was outside of the room, and was attempting to coax him out of the room, and the dude shot at a window or something in the general direction of the principal in order to make him go away (doesn't appear he was trying to kill him or anything). That was the only gun shot. Police got there, were able to get in, cuff him, and take him to the station.

I read about all this in a forum where students of his, and/or students from the school were discussing the issue. By all accounts he was a good teacher, and people enjoyed his class. One ex-student said that it seemed totally out of character for, another said that it wasn't completely out of character, and he was familiar with he occasionally expressing signs of stress.
            That sounds about right from the small pieces I've managed to collect - thanks for sharing.

Comment

I think, because it doesn't serve the purpose of the gun control crowd, that it's pretty much dropped. I'm curious, too, but it's one of those that started out sounding like it was going to be a big deal, then it sounds like it's one teacher who was NOT authorized to have a gun, but was unhappy about something - we don't know what. He had no intent whatsoever to hurt kids - he locked them out of his room, and he fired one shot out the window at nothing.

A nothingburger. But, yeah, I'm curious as to what upset him.
              Possibly a nothingburger. Possibly a national sigh of relief. Probably a demonstration about how a relatively few people can control a national dialogue.

I don't know much about Georgia's gun laws and I haven't even read if he was a legal gun owner or not.
              Save me, save me"

Comment

Apparently his kid was/is sick or something (possibly dead?), he stressed out, hid his gun in a laptop case, went to the school, kicked the kids out of the classroom, barricaded himself in, and the best guess is that he was then going to attempt suicide. The principal was outside of the room, and was attempting to coax him out of the room, and the dude shot at a window or something in the general direction of the principal in order to make him go away (doesn't appear he was trying to kill him or anything). That was the only gun shot. Police got there, were able to get in, cuff him, and take him to the station.

I read about all this in a forum where students of his were discussing the issue. By all accounts he was a good teacher, and people enjoyed his classes. One ex-student said that it seemed totally out of character for him, another said that it wasn't completely out of character, and he was familiar with he occasionally expressing signs of stress.
                Good grief. A heartbreaking story then.
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Possibly a nothingburger. Possibly a national sigh of relief. Probably a demonstration about how a relatively few people can control a national dialogue.

I don't know much about Georgia's gun laws and I haven't even read if he was a legal gun owner or not.
                  A nothingburger with respect to the discussion about arming teachers. The only part of Adrift's input that doesn't line up with what I heard was - I heard he shot out a window, which wouldn't seem to jibe with shooting in the general direction of the principal, who would have been standing at the door, but... we don't know the layout of the classroom, and details are sketchy.

Yeah, don't know either about the rest - legal gun or not, etc. I would think we could assume, however, that the school, being a gun free zone, means that he had the gun there illegally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Jiml does this all the time. I just went through the specifics of his claims above, then he wants to know what I find to be ignorant. I could just repeat myself again, but then he would just ask again. Like he did in the thread about God appearing and his dumb claim about God is unjust because he sends you to hell because you don't believe in him. I went in circles there for pages and pages.

It just isn't worth the effort any more.
                    That's funny Sparko, you went in circles trying to explain how the christian god is just. Well, you kind of did go in circles, because you continually repeated the same thing while avoiding to answer the actual question I asked. Why you people do this I'm not certain. I'm guessing it's some sort of defensive mechanism, but in the end, you're only fooling yourselves.

Comment

I think, because it doesn't serve the purpose of the gun control crowd, that it's pretty much dropped.
                      It's never great timing for this sort of thing, but it's particularly bad timing right after all of the recent gun debate. I think it may be too soon to say that it's been dropped. For right or wrong, at most it's going to stick in some people's minds when they imagine armed teachers in the school, which may make that a less popular idea altogether.[/quote]

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      A nothingburger.
                      How in the world did that word become so popular all of a sudden? It's everywhere! I hate it. Maybe it's cause I love burgers, and I don't like to imagine a nothing burger. I mean, how do you even order that? Well done with ketchup and pickle, hold the onion?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      That sounds about right from the small pieces I've managed to collect - thanks for sharing.
                      Yep, no problem.

Comment

A nothingburger with respect to the discussion about arming teachers. The only part of Adrift's input that doesn't line up with what I heard was - I heard he shot out a window, which wouldn't seem to jibe with shooting in the general direction of the principal, who would have been standing at the door, but... we don't know the layout of the classroom, and details are sketchy.
                        The inference that I got was that it was a sort of warning shot. Like he was trying to point out that he was serious, and that he wanted the principle to leave him alone. He wasn't attempting to actually shoot the principle or anything.

Comment

It's never great timing for this sort of thing, but it's particularly bad timing right after all of the recent gun debate. I think it may be too soon to say that it's been dropped. For right or wrong, at most it's going to stick in some people's minds when they imagine armed teachers in the school, which may make that a less popular idea altogether.
                          I don't really think it every got that much traction - as soon as the anti-gun crowd saw that it wasn't exactly the poster-boy type thing for fighting the idea of arming teachers, it disappeared. I really don't think that many people were very much aware of it, with all the other news drowning it out.

How in the world did that word become so popular all of a sudden? It's everywhere! I hate it. Maybe it's cause I love burgers, and I don't like to imagine a nothing burger. I mean, how do you even order that? Well done with ketchup and pickle, hold the onion?
                          I agree - if I use it again, slap me with a big fish. (but not a burger - I love those)

Yep, no problem.
                          If you hear more on the "why", I'm still interested.

ETA: Maybe a tofu burger could be a nothingburger!

Comment

The inference that I got was that it was a sort of warning shot. Like he was trying to point out that he was serious, and that he wanted the principle to leave him alone. He wasn't attempting to actually shoot the principle or anything.
                            Yeah, I got that part - I just thought he fired "out the window" like "I have this gun, and I intended to do something with it, so THERE!" Maybe we'll learn more. But I noticed that "gunshots" in the initial reporting morphed into "a shot".

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              all of it.
                              Well, think what you want, you're wrong as usual anyway. The fact is that even conservative Supreme court Justices, Constitutional scholars, say that you are wrong in your understanding of the 2nd amendment. It's not unlimited!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                That's funny Sparko, you went in circles trying to explain how the christian god is just. Well, you kind of did go in circles, because you continually repeated the same thing while avoiding to answer the actual question I asked. Why you people do this I'm not certain. I'm guessing it's some sort of defensive mechanism, but in the end, you're only fooling yourselves.
                                Your question was on the order of "have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

You assumed your answer in the question and then refused to accept that your question was wrong to begin with.

Comment