Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-knife stabbing rampage at Pennsylvania high school injures 22, suspect in custodyhttp://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1750425

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      "You guys need to stop quoting that in the wrong context."

-Ben Franklin.
      And what, pray tell, is the "right" context?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Sure. Can we make it a television show and make lots of money? I figure it still helps to be wealthy in Canada. I think I should bring a conservative American and you a liberal Canadian so that the odd couple contrasts can continue.
        I'd give it a shot for an episode.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I don't see anything in that study to suggest that a wife wouldn't seek alternative means of dispatching her husband if a gun wasn't available.
          The reason they're so commonly used is because they're easy to use, and widely available. Making murder more difficult should result in a net good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Two-knife stabbing rampage at Pennsylvania high school injures 22, suspect in custodyhttp://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1750425
            Thank God he didn't use a gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Thank God he didn't use a gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                And what, pray tell, is the "right" context?
                Property taxes and defense spending.
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  I'd give it a shot for an episode.
                  Okay, but none of this loud "music" you listen to.
                  "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                  Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Okay, but none of this loud "music" you listen to.
                    metal lullaby.jpg
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Chicago is literally across the street from Indiana and Indiana's gun laws. In effect, Chicago has no gun laws. Anyone wanting to buy a firearm in Chicago simply needs to go to one of the many Indian gun shows and do a private seller to private buyer transaction. We regulate fireworks here better than we do firearms.
                      Once again, if Indiana's lax gun control laws are to blame for Chicago's violent crime, then why isn't the place with the lax gun control laws also experiencing crime rates like we see in Chicago?

That, as we have seen over and over, again and again, it is not the case, ought to cause one to realize that the availability of firearms is not the key factor here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Once again, if Indiana's lax gun control laws are to blame for Chicago's violent crime, then why isn't the place with the lax gun control laws also experiencing crime rates like we see in Chicago?

That, as we have seen over and over, again and again, it is not the case, ought to cause one to realize that the availability of firearms is not the key factor here.
                        Yeah!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If you reduce the availability, then logically, it becomes harder and harder to obtain the guns to use in crimes. I'm not necessarily arguing for gun abolition either--In this case, I'd argue, for starters, that the gun-show loop holes be closed.
                          Again, then why isn't Indiana experiencing gun violence levels equal to or above what Chicago does if its the availability of firearms that is the cause.

Years ago New York City used to blame their high gun crime rates on Virginia and North Carolina which are several hundreds of miles away. The left will always have an excuse that centers on blaming the guns.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Again, then why isn't Indiana experiencing gun violence levels equal to or above what Chicago does if its the availability of firearms that is the cause.

Years ago New York City used to blame their high gun crime rates on Virginia and North Carolina which are several hundreds of miles away.
                            Yeah!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• BREAKING: Broward County Deputies Were Allegedly Told NOT To Enter School. Here's Why.

On Monday, Fox News host Laura Ingraham revealed in an exclusive that Broward County Sheriff's Deputies were supposedly told not to enter Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School unless they had body cameras on, which they did not have.

Ingraham also revealed that police "lost radio transmissions" during the shooting, which also happened at the mass shooting at Fort Lauderdale airport shooting last year, which is also in Broward County.
                              [Video at link]

Fox News later reported that Broward County Sheriffs deputies would not let medical personnel into the school while students bled out until the school was cleared.

Comment

Years ago New York City used to blame their high gun crime rates on Virginia and North Carolina which are several hundreds of miles away. The left will always have an excuse that centers on blaming the guns.

I don't know why this counter-argument keeps popping up. It's been explained over and over again (at least by me) that no one is arguing that access to guns makes people more criminal. The argument is that violence committed with guns is more lethal. You're asking the completely wrong question. Anyways, the pdf that guacamole and I have linked to points out that a lot of those guns come from Gary, IN, which has its own reputation. Not that that matters.

Comment