Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Wal-Mart Raises Hourly Wage to $11 in Wake of Tax Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    For a given budget, if A pays less than their fair contribution, B pays more.
    You seem to think that budgets are set by anticipated income, not expenses. Government doesn't work that way.

Alabama have calculated that it is worth making the contribution to get the jobs on offer. But they might have done as well or better if those same resources had been deployed somewhere else. Toyota gets their plant finished and running for less cost than they would otherwise have to pay. They save money which means that someone else fails to benefit from those funds.
    Wow. That's some convoluted economics ya got goin on there!

I understand your point but these decisions have real financial consequences. My original query was why would you not support cooperatives in the same way?
    I bet you think that increasing a budget by less than was anticipated is a "budget cut".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You seem to think that budgets are set by anticipated income, not expenses. Government doesn't work that way.

Wow. That's some convoluted economics ya got goin on there!

I bet you think that increasing a budget by less than was anticipated is a "budget cut".
      Look at an extreme case: Alabama build the plant, the training facilities and train the workers, all at their own expense. Toyota run the production and take all the profits. Fair?

The actual deal is >25% of that.

Comment

Look at an extreme case:
        Let's look at the actual case.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Let's look at the actual case.
          Last edited by firstfloor; 01-15-2018, 07:42 AM.

Comment

CP, you are being unusually obstinate.
            I'm just refusing to play your goofy game, and using your own labels.

And none of this supports your asinine claim that....

US taxpayers are shelling out about $400M for a Japanese car plant in Alabama.

Comment

I'm just refusing to play your goofy game, and using your own labels.

And none of this supports your asinine claim that....
              In all my puff I have never encountered such an obtuse Christian.

Comment

In all my puff I have never encountered such an obtuse Christian.
                Because I refuse to play your goofy games?

You're trying to turn a tax abatement into "shelling out money".

thats-not-how-this-works-thats-not-how-any-of-13575671.jpg

Comment

Because I refuse to play your goofy games?

You're trying to turn a tax abatement into "shelling out money".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25971[/ATTACH]
                  The Toyota marque was ranked as the world's most valuable car brand in 2017, with a brand value of about 23.5 billion U.S. dollars.

They just want a little more from hard pressed Alabama tax payers, you know, for slightly above average wages and no union interference.

Comment

The Toyota marque was ranked as the world's most valuable car brand in 2017, with a brand value of about 23.5 billion U.S. dollars.

They just want a little more from hard pressed Alabama tax payers, you know, for slightly above average wages and no union interference.
                    Right out of high school, I worked in the auto industry - UAW - and the union 'representation' was an ongoing joke. Unions served their purpose. So many times, though, they just exist to enrich the union bosses.

That has nothing to do with the fact that a tax abatement is not the same as "shelling out cash".

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Right out of high school, I worked in the auto industry - UAW - and the union 'representation' was an ongoing joke. Unions served their purpose. So many times, though, they just exist to enrich the union bosses.

That has nothing to do with the fact that a tax abatement is not the same as "shelling out cash".
                      Especially since no plant equals no tax money in the first place. The company coming in with a reduced tax or something like that is better than no tax income. Plus they get people employed and they get tax money from them, plus tax money from the cars sold and bought and the license and registration fees and such. None of which costs any taxpayers any money (other than what they normally would pay anyway, e.g. salary taxes)

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It is precisely because Toyota is the king of the automotive industry that they are able to demand tribute wherever they go. The question then is who will show the greatest respect.

I am not being critical of this deal; just pointing out the power that these big companies have and what the American worker is reduced to by globalised capitalism.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          It is precisely because Toyota is the king of the automotive industry that they are able to demand tribute wherever they go. The question then is who will show the greatest respect.

I am not being critical of this deal; just pointing out the power that these big companies have and what the American worker is reduced to by globalised capitalism.
                          Tax reduction =/= "tribute".

Comment

"tribute"? Alabama badly WANTED the new car plant. And it's Toyota/Mazda - joint effort, not just Toyota. They fought to get it. The tax ABATEMENTS were part of the negotiation....

There were a number of other states who would have loved to have landed this plant in their states. The tax ABATEMENTS helped Alabama get the "prize".

This is YUUUUUUUUGE for Alabama!!!

Comment

Actually Volkswagen is the largest carmaker in the world, not Toyota. And neither they or Toyota have to demand "tribute" since various states are typically falling over themselves trying to woo them into building a factory there since they are well aware that they will get far, far more back than they ever offered.

No surprise that a liberal cannot grasp the basics in remedial economics.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• American car makers like Ford and Chevy have pretty much nearly destroyed themselves because they are all Union shops and what ended up happening is lax union employees creating shoddy cars that were always breaking down. People started buying foreign cars that did not break down. This bankrupted Detroit. The American car makers are just now clawing their way back out and many of them because they are using nonunion workers in foreign countries and making deals with foreign car makers.

The time of the union is over. They are a hindrance not a benefit.

Comment