Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Media Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You know, I could have just told the list wasn't chronological but alphabetical, categorical or in order of importance.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Of course the mainstream media insists that they're not biased, and that every time they're caught publishing a false report that would make President Trump look bad if it was true, they claim that it's just an honest mistake, but Breitbart ran the numbers and found that these "honest mistakes" are overwhelmingly if not exclusively unfavorable to the President, and they could find no "honest mistakes" that make Democrats look bad, and in Obama's 8-years in office, they were entirely capable of avoiding similar "honest mistakes".

So the question is not "Is the mainstream media liberally biased?" but "To what extent is the mainstream media liberally biased?"
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        I stand by Brietbart being "far-right" however. I quick look at their news AND opinion site shows them to be exactly what they profess to be - the voice of the alt-right.
        Eh... you gotta look at the context. Steve Bannon used that term before it was appropriated by the left to be a synonym for racism and white supremacy. In the article where Bannon used that phrase

Comment

I think a centrist is a lot like a moderate in that it's a label someone chooses when they're uncertain of or afraid to be honest about their politics, although in my experience, it's mostly liberals who look for an alternative label. It's like an office mate of mine who insists that he's a moderate, claims he doesn't lean left or right, yet he and I disagree on just about every single political and social issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Eh... you gotta look at the context. Steve Bannon used that term before it was appropriated by the left to be a synonym for racism and white supremacy. In the article where Bannon used that phrase
            How do you know what I think it means?
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Let's call it an educated guess.

Comment

You're wrong.

But if history is any indication, I think I'm about to be told that you know better than I what I am actually thinking. Or I'm a hypocrite. Or I'm intellectually dishonest.

I do have to wonder why any of you who think those things of me even bother to respond. It seems rather pointless.

Comment

You're wrong.

But if history is any indication, I think I'm about to be told that you know better than I what I am actually thinking. Or I'm a hypocrite. Or I'm intellectually dishonest.

I do have to wonder why any of you who think those things of me even bother to respond. It seems rather pointless.
                  How bout just laying out what you think it means.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    How bout just laying out what you think it means.
                    Nah... that would be too simple

OK - fair enough. The term "alt-right," I believe, was originally meant to refer to the further right part of the Republican party in general, excluding moderates and those who might actually embrace debate and compromise. Politically, the vestiges of the "Tea Party" and those to their right. Collectively, they supported a nationalistic and populist political approach.

Since then, the term has essentially been hijacked by white nationalists who have claimed association with the title and use it as a self-reference. The problem here is, this has not been unambiguously rejected by other memebers of the "alt-right" - as far as I can tell. It has, finally, been rejected by more mainstream Republicans.

I remember the 1996 Republican convention, when then-candidate Bob Dole stood up and said, without any ambiguity: "The Republican Party is broad and inclusive. It represents many streams of opinion and many points of view. But if there's anyone who has mistakenly attached themselves to our party in the belief that we are not open to citizens of every race and religion, then let me remind you, tonight this hall belongs to the Party of Lincoln. And the exits, which are clearly marked, are for you to walk out of as I stand this ground without compromise.

I was never much of a Dole fan - but that was a spot-on statement. These days, it seems to take the Republican party a long time before it finally steps forward and say anything like that, and it often seems to be a grudging statement - as if knowing that making it will lose them support they need.

Now someone please point me to a Brietbart story, by an editor or other senior memeber of Brietbart, that clearly and unambiguously divorces that site from white supremacist and neo-nazis, and rejects their ideology in all its forms.

Comment

Now someone please point me to a Brietbart story, by an editor or other senior memeber of Brietbart, that clearly and unambiguously divorces that site from white supremacist and neo-nazis, and rejects their ideology in all its forms.
                      Are Steve Bannon's own words not good enough for you? I posted this earlier, but you appear to have ignored it.

(Note the source.)
                      Source: Mother Jones

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...reitbart-news/

© Copyright Original Source

Like I said, it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Comment

I'm pretty centrist (center right by NZ standards, so probably the same as the UK, but center left by US standards). I'm more socially conservative and pretty central on economic policy.

When it comes to abortion I'm completely against it (except for the rare cases of things like ectopic pregnancy). I don't think there is a centrist view on abortion. you're either for it or against it.
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Are Steve Bannon's own words not good enough for you? I posted this earlier, but you appear to have ignored it.

(Note the source.)
                          Source: Mother Jones

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...reitbart-news/

© Copyright Original Source

Like I said, it doesn't mean what you think it means.
                          I am not seeing a disconnect between what Bannon said, what has happened since, and what I posted.

And I do not read Mother Jones either - for the same reason I don't read Brietbart. It is essentially the "National Enquirer" of the left, just as Brietbart is the "National Enquirer" of the right, IMO.

Comment

I am not seeing a disconnect between what Bannon said, what has happened since, and what I posted.

And I do not read Mother Jones either - for the same reason I don't read Brietbart. It is essentially the "National Enquirer" of the left, just as Brietbart is the "National Enquirer" of the right, IMO.
                            I believe you just insulted the National Enquirer twice. They publish top notch fiction. Not like those other doggerel rags that aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
                            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                            Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                              I'm pretty centrist (center right by NZ standards, so probably the same as the UK, but center left by US standards). I'm more socially conservative and pretty central on economic policy.

When it comes to abortion I'm completely against it (except for the rare cases of things like ectopic pregnancy). I don't think there is a centrist view on abortion. you're either for it or against it.
                              Again, kinda like a "centrist view" on the annihilation of the Jewish State by the Arabs. You're either for it or against it.

(I'm trying to think if I've ever actually heard the termination of an ectopic pregnancy being referred to as an "abortion")
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Again, kinda like a "centrist view" on the annihilation of the Jewish State by the Arabs. You're either for it or against it.

Comment