Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gun Rights and Gun Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Are you insane? The US didn't believe in personal protection until the 1970's?
    Since that was not what I said, I have no response.

Never watched a western I guess? Or read a history book?
    Yes, I have

The amendment is pretty clear and has always allowed personal protection.
    The amendment says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Historically, that was rooted in the desire by the Founding Fathers to NOT have a standing army, but rather to call uppon citizen militia's to protect the country. This is why they also created a registry for arms. It did not take long for them to reverse this position and create a standing army, obviating most of the need for a citizen militia. Still, this was the context in which the amendment was primarily interpreted (https://www.loc.gov/law/help/second-amendment.php).

In the 1970s, there was a major shift in the leadership of the NRA and it went from an organization largely focused on promoting gun safety and outdoor recreation, to a lobbying organization for "gun rights." That transition is well documented. The original leadership, which was advocating a return of the NRA headquarters to Denver and a focus on these original concepts, was diplaced by a hard-line, gun rights leadership. They shifted the focus of their lobbying to "personal protection," which became almost the exclusive focus until the 2008 ruling which formally adopted this interpretation.

And no - I'm not insane...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

all that is true, but then the gun control lobbies say that reducing guns would reduce crime. So they are assuming a correlation already. Using their own standards, we can see that an increase in guns did not lead to an increase in crime, instead for whatever reason crime went down. If reducing guns would reduce crime this should not have happened. Either guns are irrelevant to crime stats, or there is a correlation but the opposite of what the GCL's are claiming.
      Um, let's rewind - it does in fact reduce 'gun crime' (really hard to commit a crime with a gun if you don't have a gun). The 'all crime will go away' nonsense is a strawman.

The argument was never that all crime would be reduced.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Um, let's rewind - it does in fact reduce 'gun crime' (really hard to commit a crime with a gun if you don't have a gun). The 'all crime will go away' nonsense is a strawman.

The argument was never that all crime would be reduced.
        But the fact is that what we have seen to date does correlate in the exact opposite direction of what the gun grabbers suggest will happen.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          well 1. it doesn't reduce gun crime because it is not taking guns away from criminals. And two, nobody said "all crime will go away" so you accusation of my using a strawman argument is itself a strawman.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            First of all - that is a point of debate. Until the 1970s, that amendment was intepreted to be what the founders intended: for the support of a citizen militia. Since then, it has been re-interpreted to include personal protection. For all that Scalia was an originalist, he actually sided with an interpretationalist viewpoint when it served him.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Nobody said that the right to own firearms was not specified, Pixie. What shifted was the emphasis of the 2nd amendment from a focus on support for a militia, which the 2nd amendment explicitly specifies, to a focus on personal protection. I provided the link below for my sources, so I'll let that stand.
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

What is "The Federalist"?
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  The Federalist Papers are a series of essays from the early days of the republic. I believe Alexander Hamilton is the author of 28 and 29 and Madison (or Adams?) of 46. There were several different authors. They are often turned to for insight into what the founding fathers were thinking.

I'm not sure where Pixie is getting her info, but Hamilton's two essays were all about the importance of an armed militia controlled by the state (Federalist 29) and the importance of an armed populace in the event a government tries to seize too much power (Federalist 28). I don't recall a lot about "personal protection" in the way it is advocated today (i.e., protection against criminals). I don't remember Federalist 46, so I'll have to go refresh myself at some point.
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 12-07-2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

The Federalist Papers are a series of essays from the early days of the republic. I believe Alexander Hamilton is the author of 28 and 29 and Madison (or Adams?) of 46. There were several different authors. They are often turned to for insight into what the founding fathers were thinking.

I'm not sure where Pixie is getting her info, but Hamilton's two essays were all about the importance of an armed militia controlled by the state (Federalist 29) and the importance of an armed populace in the event a government tries to seize too much power (Federalist 28). I don't recall a lot about "personal protection" in the way it is advocated today (i.e., protection against criminals). I don't remember Federalist 46, so I'll have to go refresh myself at some point.
                    FYI for Roy - the Federalist Papers online archive

http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/documents/...ralist-papers/

Comment

Nobody said that the right to own firearms was not specified, Pixie. What shifted was the emphasis of the 2nd amendment from a focus on support for a militia, which the 2nd amendment explicitly specifies, to a focus on personal protection. I provided the link below for my sources, so I'll let that stand.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Well, they're better known as The Federalist Papers now (when I see "The Federalist" I think it's a reference to a right-wing website of that name), but they're a collection of essays written by various proponents of the US Constitution originally published as The Federalist. They were originally published under a pseudonym but we now know that the writers were Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay.

The context was this: After the US won independence, it set up the Articles of Confederation as the foundation for the government, which gave supreme power to the states and very limited power to the federal government. However, the federal government was so weak that all sorts of problems very quickly cropped up, the most notable being that the federal government lacked a way to make the states pay taxes (essentially, its power was limited to asking the states nicely for money).

As a result, there was strong agreement that the articles had to be changed in some way. But some people, most notably James Madison, thought they should just do away with them and replace them with a new document altogether, the Constitution. The Constitution provided substantially more powerful to the federal government than the Articles of Confederation did, and this sparked a debate between the pro-Constitution federalists and the anti-federalists, who feared a stronger national government and were against the Constitution (it's a little amusing that people thought the original Constitution gave the federal government too much power--the Fourteenth Amendment probably would've given them conniptions).

The Federalist Papers were thus written primarily to try to convince people about why the Constitution was so gosh darn great and that it should be ratified, chiefly aimed at the state of New York which was very split on the subject. How much of an effect it actually had on getting the Constitution ratified has been debated, but at any rate it showed the views of some of the major writers of the Constitution and what their rationales were for the various parts of it. As a result, it's often cited as a way of trying to determine the intent of various things in the Constitution, though it was written before the Bill of Rights were created (ironically, #84, written by Alexander Hamilton, argues against the creation of the Bill of Rights).

Comment

GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

You said specifically that
                            Until the 1970s, that amendment was intepreted to be what the founders intended: for the support of a citizen militia. Since then, it has been re-interpreted to include personal protection. For all that Scalia was an originalist, he actually sided with an interpretationalist viewpoint when it served him.
                            Lilpixie has demonstrated that to be false.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Thanks Sparko/carpedm/terraceth. I learnt something today.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Actually - it's exactly what I said - I'll respond to you and Jed together.

Comment