Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Would they, CP?
    Yes, Carp, this is a different time. Back then, a lot of the racism, shamefully, was in the church itself. There were even people defending racism based on the Bible.

There is no biblical justification for the vicious murder of persons in the name of Christ.

(interestingly enough, a lot of those thugs and murderers were your fellow liberals - Robert Byrd was one of the heroes)
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-26-2017, 07:58 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Yeah right, just like all of christendom loudly and publicly and universally condemned the torture, hanging, drowning and burning alive of witches.
      Sounds more like execution according to law, so not murder. Whether justified or not, of course is another thing!
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/15/politics/ivanka-trump-roy-moore/index.html

Washington (CNN)Ivanka Trump spoke out for the first time against embattled Alabama Senate Republican candidate Roy Moore, who has been accused of pursuing sexual relationships with teenagers when he was in his early thirties. Her father, President Donald Trump, meanwhile, has largely stayed mum on the issue.

"There's a special place in hell for people who prey on children," Trump told The Associated Press in an interview otherwise focused on tax reform published Wednesday.
        "I've yet to see a valid explanation and I have no reason to doubt the victims' accounts," the first daughter and presidential adviser said.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Would they, CP? In the early/mid 20th century, when the KKK was at it's peak, and black men and women were being hanged and dragged and beaten to death, and crosses were burning on the front lawns, history does not record "all of Christendom loudly and publicly and universally condemning the actions." These were likewise thugs and bullies claiming the badge of a major religion, but people were afraid. The KKK had power. They were killing people. They were targeting people who spoke out against them. The further you went from the sphere of KKK influence, however, the louder the voices got, so there WERE some speaking out. There were MANY speaking out.'....
          Carpe, you're wrong.

Lynching reached its zenith in the early 20's - it was exceptionally rare by the mid-century point. So too, were racial murders - the trend actually began anew with the rise of the Civil Rights Movement - probably closer to late 50's/early '60's. I honestly can't think of a major one earlier than mid 60's. That decline was started in large part by Billie Holliday - and the white audience she reached.

The KKK was already in decline - that was set off by what you deny happened - a very loud, large public outcry after the leader of the KKK was accused of rape - his victim having been white. It was largely done by the 60's - it had only a shadow of its greatest numbers. In the 1970's, Bill Baxley helped in large part to finish it off - by prosecuting. That was in Alabama, in case you were wondering.

Do you know where King suffered his one major defeat? Albany Georgia. It wasn't accomplished with fire hoses or cops - it was accomplished by just leaving the protesters alone. No fire hoses, no six o'clock report - no public attention and no progress.

The reason that's important is because Billie Holliday accomplished a heck of a lot with a song - but King accomplished far more with TV cameras. In both cases, they awakened outrage not in the black community but the white - both North and South.

Racial relations are a danged site more complex than most people want to believe. The Northern exodus in the 20's/30's did a lot more to segregate blacks than Jim Crow had - in the North, blacks were largely isolated from whites and it's at that time that so called 'ebonics' begin to develop - despite a lack of education, Southern blacks prior to that time spoke better English than many whites today (audio recordings of the periods are telling) - due to that isolation. Atrocities occurred throughout the country - not merely in the South - and whites turned blind eyes both to atrocities against blacks and even against whites.

Until TV shows up. It's really hard to turn a blind eye to what's staring at you in your own home.

As for CP's point, it's happened - more than once. My point? You made the mistake you're condemning.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/15/politics/ivanka-trump-roy-moore/index.html

Washington (CNN)Ivanka Trump spoke out for the first time against embattled Alabama Senate Republican candidate Roy Moore, who has been accused of pursuing sexual relationships with teenagers when he was in his early thirties. Her father, President Donald Trump, meanwhile, has largely stayed mum on the issue.

"There's a special place in hell for people who prey on children," Trump told The Associated Press in an interview otherwise focused on tax reform published Wednesday.
            "I've yet to see a valid explanation and I have no reason to doubt the victims' accounts," the first daughter and presidential adviser said.

© Copyright Original Source

Ivanka Trump is an idiot. She also happens to be a raging liberal. I'm sure these two things are related.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yeah right, just like all of christendom loudly and publicly and universally condemned the torture, hanging, drowning and burning alive of witches.
              Um, actually, most of the acquittals and the calls for reform came from the church. All of the reform came from Christians.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Ivanka Trump is an idiot. She also happens to be a raging liberal. I'm sure these two things are related.
                Still trashing and denigrating everyone who disagrees with you.

Comment

Testimony of eight women is evidence.
                  (The "eight", of course, is in dispute, there being more like "two", but let's leave that alone for now)
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Me accusing you of having a fake beard is evidence.
                  Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Not credible evidence!
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  BINGO!!!! Good job, Jimmy. You get a gold star for the day!
                  See, the reason my "evidence" wouldn't be credible, Jimmy, is because all we would need to do is tug on Shuny's beard to prove it's not fake, and I'm wrong! (Assuming, of course, that that's a picture of Shuny and he really does have a real beard)

Now, supposedly there's a yearbook as "evidence". It would really help if that "evidence" were allowed to be "tugged on", so to speak.

But, keep your gold star, Jimmy, you earned it.

Shuny, is that a picture of you, and do you have a 'for really' beard?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Carpe, you're wrong.

Lynching reached its zenith in the early 20's - it was exceptionally rare by the mid-century point. So too, were racial murders - the trend actually began anew with the rise of the Civil Rights Movement - probably closer to late 50's/early '60's. I honestly can't think of a major one earlier than mid 60's. That decline was started in large part by Billie Holliday - and the white audience she reached.

The KKK was already in decline - that was set off by what you deny happened - a very loud, large public outcry after the leader of the KKK was accused of rape - his victim having been white. It was largely done by the 60's - it had only a shadow of its greatest numbers. In the 1970's, Bill Baxley helped in large part to finish it off - by prosecuting. That was in Alabama, in case you were wondering.

Do you know where King suffered his one major defeat? Albany Georgia. It wasn't accomplished with fire hoses or cops - it was accomplished by just leaving the protesters alone. No fire hoses, no six o'clock report - no public attention and no progress.

The reason that's important is because Billie Holliday accomplished a heck of a lot with a song - but King accomplished far more with TV cameras. In both cases, they awakened outrage not in the black community but the white - both North and South.

Racial relations are a danged site more complex than most people want to believe. The Northern exodus in the 20's/30's did a lot more to segregate blacks than Jim Crow had - in the North, blacks were largely isolated from whites and it's at that time that so called 'ebonics' begin to develop - despite a lack of education, Southern blacks prior to that time spoke better English than many whites today (audio recordings of the periods are telling) - due to that isolation. Atrocities occurred throughout the country - not merely in the South - and whites turned blind eyes both to atrocities against blacks and even against whites.

Until TV shows up. It's really hard to turn a blind eye to what's staring at you in your own home.

As for CP's point, it's happened - more than once. My point? You made the mistake you're condemning.
                    OK - color me lost. You seem to say my dates are wrong, but then you give me those exact dates (20s, late 50s, 60s - and I said "early/mid 20th century"). So I'm not sure how the timeframe I provided is wrong.

I also have no clue what mistake I am making that you think I am condemning? I didn't say no one spoke up, I said that the speaking up took time, and tended to be stronger the further it was from the violence of the KKK. My studies indicate the clan peaked in the mid 20s at nearly 6 million members. This was the period when widespread Christian outrage was simply not the case. Yes - there were voices - and there was outrage. But CP's claim is simply not accurate - in that period. After the 1920s, the Klan losses a lot of power. It comes to the fore again during the civil rights era, but a shadow of its former self (fewer than 50,000 members). Still - the claim that there would be universal outrage is simply not true. Indeed, in the deep south, there was significant resistance to integration by both Christian and non-Christian whites.

I think my point stands, Teal - we have had bad from isolated segments of every religion that has ever existed (that I have studied), and the outrage often takes time to express itself. Islam is no different in that, except that right now Islamic extremist have access to a global travel system, and the megaphone and recruitment tool of the Internet. But to paint all of Islam with the same brush is simply unjust - as unjust as painting all of Christianity with the same brush because the KKK claimed Christian membership.

The KKK was no more Christian than ISIS or the Taliban is Islamic - in both cases, you have thugs flying the banner of a religion for their justification. Unfortunately, too many people are buying it, and giving them the exact credibility they seek - damaging an incredible population of good people in the process.

Now what exactly was the mistake I made that I was condemning? Were you under the impression I was saying "all Christians are bad because they didn't all stand up to decry the KKK?"
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Still trashing and denigrating everyone who disagrees with you.
                      And not just because they disagree with me.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        (The "eight", of course, is in dispute, there being more like "two", but let's leave that alone for now)

See, the reason my "evidence" wouldn't be credible, Jimmy, is because all we would need to do is tug on Shuny's beard to prove it's not fake, and I'm wrong! (Assuming, of course, that that's a picture of Shuny and he really does have a real beard)

Now, supposedly there's a yearbook as "evidence". It would really help if that "evidence" were allowed to be "tugged on", so to speak.

But, keep your gold star, Jimmy, you earned it.

Shuny, is that a picture of you, and do you have a 'for really' beard?
                        I see the point still escapes you, eh CP?

Comment

I see the point still escapes you, eh CP?
                          Feel free to enlighten me, Jimmy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Um, actually, most of the acquittals and the calls for reform came from the church. All of the reform came from Christians.
                            So it should, seeing as it was the church that started the process of torturing and burning witches. It's like giving the church credit for stopping the Inquisitions.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 11-26-2017, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              So, Politco seems to think that, IF Moore wins, it might be the media who helped him over the finish line...

This same media is the one our local Tweb liberals worship and parrot.
                              No, it's the "same media" that attempts to present a credible assessment of Trump's compulsive lying and call out the hypocrisy of evangelical leaders standing behind a man credibly accused of sexually assaulting a minor. Without the media we'd have a dictatorship and moral reprobates getting away with sexual exploitation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                No, it's the "same media" that attempts to present a credible assessment of Trump's compulsive lying and call out the hypocrisy of evangelical leaders standing behind a man credibly accused of sexually assaulting a minor.
                                You're becoming a parody of the alt-left, Tassy. Or, maybe their wanna-be spokesperson. Do you foam at the mouth when you repeatedly type these hate-filled tirades?

Comment