Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    yeah I posted that this morning before I saw yours. Since Carpe seemed to have ignored your post maybe he will see mine.

The whole narrative that blacks don't have IDs is just made up. Sure I guess there are a few people who slip through the cracks, but anyone who wants an ID can get one. And anyone who expects to function in society needs one. Not just to vote, but to get credit, utilities, even jobs. Most states have a way to get a photo ID without cost or very low cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Wow I've never met a serial amener before...
      A serial ACCIDENTAL amenner!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        yeah I posted that this morning before I saw yours. Since Carpe seemed to have ignored your post maybe he will see mine.

The whole narrative that blacks don't have IDs is just made up. Sure I guess there are a few people who slip through the cracks, but anyone who wants an ID can get one. And anyone who expects to function in society needs one. Not just to vote, but to get credit, utilities, even jobs. Most states have a way to get a photo ID without cost or very low cost.
        I mean, I realize that the video itself is anecdotal at best...documentarians have the ability to control the narrative anyhow they like through the edit process, but this is one of those left/right issues that seem to see a bipartisan split simply because it's bipartisan. As far as I know requiring ID to vote is pretty much a universal requirement for other 1st world nations. As you know, I'm not big on voting anyways, but if you're going to cast a vote makes sense to me that you have something that shows that you're eligible to vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          I mean, I realize that the video itself is anecdotal at best...documentarians have the ability to control the narrative anyhow they like through the edit process, but this is one of those left/right issues that seem to see a bipartisan split simply because it's bipartisan. As far as I know requiring ID to vote is pretty much a universal requirement for other 1st world nations. As you know, I'm not big on voting anyways, but if you're going to cast a vote makes sense to me that you have something that shows that you're eligible to vote.
          as far as I know you can't even register to vote much less actually show up to vote without a photo ID. And that is the way it should be.

Comment

• If somebody is so totally unaware of how to function in this society, why would we want them to abuse the sacred right of voting?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              If somebody is so totally unaware of how to function in this society, why would we want them to abuse the sacred right of voting?
              Heck we should have a test to see if potential voters are educated on the issues enough to vote. Most of the problems we have are because people just vote popularity or party without any knowledge.

"Sorry sir, but you are too stupid to vote in this election"

Comment

It's also somewhat racist to suggest that blacks and other minorities are incapable of securing a legal ID and otherwise complying with proposed voting laws.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Heck we should have a test to see if potential voters are educated on the issues enough to vote. Most of the problems we have are because people just vote popularity or party without any knowledge.

"Sorry sir, but you are too stupid to vote in this election"
                  Our Founding Fathers had the right idea when they restricted voting privileges only to property owners, meaning people with skin in the game who had proven themselves to be productive members of society.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    It's also somewhat racist to suggest that blacks and other minorities are incapable of securing a legal ID and otherwise complying with proposed voting laws.
                    EGGzackly - this smacks of the liberal elite making sure to keep their subjects 'on the plantation'. They seem to think they are incapable of fending for themselves. Kinda racist, if you ask me.

Comment

4 minutes. Watch it.

Four words: examples are not arguments.

Anyone can wander to two city locations and find people with views of either kind. It doesn't change the overall statistics. VoterID laws primarily impact the poor - which indiscriminately impacts minorities. I point you to the studies I have already posted.

This kid of video is simply propaganda, IMO. I could wander around and make exactly the same video in reverse, with a little time and effort - and it would likewise say nothing.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Why does everyone keep changing my words to "blacks don't have IDs?" At no point did I say that, imply it, or claim it.

If you're going to refute a position - it helps if you actually refute the position taken.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

as far as I know you can't even register to vote much less actually show up to vote without a photo ID. And that is the way it should be.
                          I registered to vote without an ID...

Comment

Four words: examples are not arguments.

Anyone can wander to two city locations and find people with views of either kind. It doesn't change the overall statistics. VoterID laws primarily impact the poor - which indiscriminately impacts minorities. I point you to the studies I have already posted.
                            So, if it's really a problem, rather than pitch a hissy over it, why not actually help them get documented?

Instead of just a "get out the vote" campaign, why don't the Democrats have a "let's make sure they're eligible" campaign? I think the answer is obvious - it doesn't fit their agenda.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              If somebody is so totally unaware of how to function in this society, why would we want them to abuse the sacred right of voting?
                              It's not about not being able to function - it's about possessing the required documentation, and being able to afford the cost.

Come on folks - if you're going to refute a position - at least start by accurately reflecting it? It makes no sense to "refute" a position I am not taking.

At least, it doesn't to me...

Comment

I registered to vote without an ID...
                                I did, too - I filled out the card and mailed it to Austin. But EVERY TIME I go to vote, I have to show ID and sign on the dotted line that I'm me.
                                Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-13-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment