Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Provisional ballots are often pointed to as the "saving grace" for voterID, but they still require the person to be verified after the election day (within two weeks), so it is not clear to me how that is going to happen without ID. That being said, I have no statistics about how deeply this impacts. My assumption is that the data I provided early includes people who are able to vote provisionally, but I cannot say I know that for a fact.
    If we were seeing actual disenfranchisement, we should see a lot of provisional ballots - but we don't.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

In most states (I do not know about Alabama) a provisional ballot is only counted if the voter can be verified as a registered, legal voter within 2 weeks of the election date. That process is only undertaken if the vote is within the number of provisional ballots cast (as indicated in CP's post).

A provision ballot is NOT a guarantee of being counted. ID or some proof needs to be provided. What exactly that proof is varies widely.
      Didn't say it was - but if we were really disenfranchising people, we should see an increase in the number of provisional ballots and that has not materialized.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        African American, Black Belt.

Comment

If we were seeing actual disenfranchisement, we should see a lot of provisional ballots - but we don't.
          Again, Teal - not necessarily. You will not see provisional ballots for the people who do not have IDs and simply do not show up to vote, believing they cannot or the game is rigged against them. You cannot assume, from the lack of provisional ballots, that disenfranchisement is NOT occurring. The best you can say is it MAY not be occurring. But the statistics suggest otherwise.

And this is only one of many ways voters are disenfranchised. There is a long record of systematically closing polling places in more predominantly black districts to create longer lines and a greater number of people abandoning the vote because it is taking too long.

The left has had its dirty tricks as well (e.g., announcing to one district that Republican voting was being deferred for one day to reduce the lines at the polls, and slashing the tires of "take you to the polls" cars so they could not be used), so it is not just the right that is guilty of trying to put their thumb on the electoral scales. Ultimately, all of these things, IMO, are unpatriotic and unamerican activities.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Didn't say it was - but if we were really disenfranchising people, we should see an increase in the number of provisional ballots and that has not materialized.
            See my other response...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Early results: 16% tallied - Moore 51%, Jones 48%

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• This conversation about voter ID reminds me of this video I saw, I think, on Reddit.

Comment

Again, Teal - not necessarily. You will not see provisional ballots for the people who do not have IDs and simply do not show up to vote, believing they cannot or the game is rigged against them. You cannot assume, from the lack of provisional ballots, that disenfranchisement is NOT occurring. The best you can say is it MAY not be occurring. But the statistics suggest otherwise.

And this is only one of many ways voters are disenfranchised. There is a long record of systematically closing polling places in more predominantly black districts to create longer lines and a greater number of people abandoning the vote because it is taking too long.

The left has had its dirty tricks as well (e.g., announcing to one district that Republican voting was being deferred for one day to reduce the lines at the polls, and slashing the tires of "take you to the polls" cars so they could not be used), so it is not just the right that is guilty of trying to put their thumb on the electoral scales. Ultimately, all of these things, IMO, are unpatriotic and unamerican activities.
                  Um, Carpe, that would also be true if they were already disenfranchised - in which case the law had no effect.

But more likely is that people who were voting and were not able to vote now would show in provisional ballots. The self-disenfranchised (turnout is rarely that large in Alabama) remaining disenfranchised is not the issue for the complaint of disenfranchisement.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    LGM's appropriate posts were filled with vitriolic mockery. That's how he got on my ignore list to begin with. Theonomy got stung and turned getting rid of him into a campaign.
                    Quite possible, re Theonomy, but he wasn't one of the decision-makers. LGM was easily the most conflicted banning we've done; most of the leaders were reluctant to pull the trigger, and he probably got more rope than most would've.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      They killed Kenny.
                      mmmmm Kilkenny, I haven't had a pint of that in ages......
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        Is that a real movie? Cuz I would watch the heck out of that movie if it were a real movie.
                        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                        Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                          Is that a real movie? Cuz I would watch the heck out of that movie if it were a real movie.

Yep.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I just watched the trailer. That looks amazing.
                            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                            Save me, save me"

Comment

• 55% Reporting:
                              Moore 52%
                              Jones 46%

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Roy Moore leads by 7 percentage points over Doug Jones with 59 percent of precincts fully reporting.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment