Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kevin Spacey's Complicated Gayness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And I'm trying to find anything that would support my memory, but what I find is scripts where Cosby was firmly against swearing.... I still think it was Cosby, because I remember how shocked I was, but maybe it's false memory syndrome because I'm such a racist.
    Or...

wait for it...

Mandela Effect strikes again!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Looking back I probably should not have been all that surprised at Foxx's language because now it seems that he was barely containing himself on Sanford and Son and really had to catch himself from saying something else when he'd call Lamont a dummy.
      Wait, you were surprised that Redd Foxx cussed in his standup? Isn't that what he was famous for? That's like if someone was surprised to find out that Lenny Bruce was against censorship.

Or is this another one of your "it's too obvious" jokes?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Wait, you were surprised that Redd Foxx cussed in his standup? Isn't that what he was famous for? That's like if someone was surprised to find out that Lenny Bruce was against censorship.

Or is this another one of your "it's too obvious" jokes?
        My only experience back around 1973 with Redd Foxx was his role as Fred Sanford on the show Sanford and Son so I was not aware of his reputation doing stand-up.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

For those of us who only knew Redd Fox from the TV show where he was a crazy old black man.....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            My only experience back around 1973 with Redd Foxx was his role as Fred Sanford on the show Sanford and Son so I was not aware of his reputation doing stand-up.
            Oh ok. You were one of those kids who didn't have a crazy uncle with...illicit...albums/8-tracks in the guest room I take it.

Comment

Oh ok. You were one of those kids who didn't have a crazy uncle with...illicit...albums/8-tracks in the guest room I take it.
              I did have George Carlin's album with the 7 words you can never say on TV[1] and Richard Pryor's (excuse the language but it is the title) "That Niggers Crazy" which IIRC was the first x-rated album (or was just a marketing gimmick). But I was unaware of Foxx's reputation so was shocked to here him use that sorta language so freely[2]

1. As did a few other kids and was being played in art class (our teacher let us listen to records when we were working) when she was out of the room and our Vice Principal just happened to walk into the room as Carlin let loose with them.

2. Reminds me now of the line from A Christmas Story when Ralphie said "My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay"
              Last edited by rogue06; 11-01-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure. We actually know the name of a few notable actors from that day. Something we really don't know about, say, bricklayers.
                Famous, yes. Respectable, not so much.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Famous, yes. Respectable, not so much.
                  Digging into this a little, it looks like the profession was considered a noble one in ancient Greece, and one that was championed by the wealthy and the politically powerful. Actors had their own powerful guilds that allowed them to get into places during times of war when others were forbidden to travel, and they were also exempted from military service in order to fulfill religious duties, but the profession was looked down upon by moralists and philosophers, especially during the Roman period.

Also, I watched an old Japanese film about actors set during Japan's feudal period, and the sense I got from that was that acting wasn't considered a very noble profession, but one could rise through the ranks, gain respect, and make decent money from it.

Comment

Digging into this a little, it looks like the profession was considered a noble one in ancient Greece, and one that was championed by the wealthy and the politically powerful. Actors had their own powerful guilds that allowed them to get into places during times of war when others were forbidden to travel, and they were also exempted from military service in order to fulfill religious duties, but the profession was looked down upon by moralists and philosophers, especially during the Roman period.

Also, I watched an old Japanese film about actors set during Japan's feudal period, and the sense I got from that was that acting wasn't considered a very noble profession, but one could rise through the ranks, gain respect, and make decent money from it.
                    IIRC merchants were near the bottom of the social ranks in feudal Japan (below peasant farmers) but they could become very wealthy and buy their way into a higher society

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I am SO glad I don't watch this show!

I saw Seth MacFarlane on an episode of Shark Tank --- wow, he was a real jerk.
                      I am SO glad I don't watch any of those shows!
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        I am SO glad I don't watch any of those shows!
                        Bear skat!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Imagine how much power would be taken away from Hollywood if all Christians stopped attending movies tomorrow. (I haven't been inside a theater in nearly six years.)
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Corey Feldman, who has been very vocal about gay pedophiles in Hollywood, is now saying that at long last he is going to start naming names.
                            The one that makes me suspicious is that he says he's not going to speak up until people give him money.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Imagine how much power would be taken away from Hollywood if all Christians stopped attending movies tomorrow. (I haven't been inside a theater in nearly six years.)
                              Wait, what? Six years! Wow. I think that most movie goers are nominally Christian. in my opinion it would likely make films worse than they are. The 70s would have been the default, and they'd grow increasingly bad to this very day.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                The one that makes me suspicious is that he says he's not going to speak up until people give him money.
                                I think Corey Feldman, as much as I dug his early career, is sort of out of it. Have you seen his recent craziness? The guy is not playing with a full deck. What's scarier is that he seemed more together than Haim.

Comment