Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Atheists are at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Is attendance in public schools compulsory?
    I was arrested in the early 80's because we were homeschooling our daughter. The charge was that I violated the "compulsory attendance law".

There was no such law. The Texas School Law Bulletin (the bible on school law in Texas) specified "compulsory education".

It was sheer bullying and intimidation by the state, and outright lying.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I was arrested in the early 80's because we were homeschooling our daughter. The charge was that I violated the "compulsory attendance law".

There was no such law. The Texas School Law Bulletin (the bible on school law in Texas) specified "compulsory education".

It was sheer bullying and intimidation by the state, and outright lying.
      Yes, they hate when your kids are not indoctrinated in the government schools!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        The prayers in school were always very generic. We never prayed to Jesus for example, or said anything that was "Christian" - like the lunch prayer I said earlier: "God is great, God is Good, now we thank you for our food" - even a muslim could say that one.

At the time I was not a Christian, I didn't even believe in God. I was an agnostic, but saying the prayers never bothered me a bit. And later when my mom was studying with the Jehovah's Witnesses and they convinced me not to say the pledge or the prayers, they still didn't bother me. In fact, I felt kinda smug sitting them out, thinking I was better than the idiots who said the pledge or the prayers. I sure didn't feel ostracized.
        I pretty much only remember hearing the Lord's prayer. Which I don't think would offend any theist.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The prayers in school were always very generic. We never prayed to Jesus for example, or said anything that was "Christian" - like the lunch prayer I said earlier: "God is great, God is Good, now we thank you for our food" - even a muslim could say that one.

At the time I was not a Christian, I didn't even believe in God. I was an agnostic, but saying the prayers never bothered me a bit. And later when my mom was studying with the Jehovah's Witnesses and they convinced me not to say the pledge or the prayers, they still didn't bother me. In fact, I felt kinda smug sitting them out, thinking I was better than the idiots who said the pledge or the prayers. I sure didn't feel ostracized.
          So do you think we should make it a law then that any teacher led praying in school need be generic in nature?

Comment

I pretty much only remember hearing the Lord's prayer. Which I don't think would offend any theist.
            So you wouldn't mind if a similar muslim prayer were said in its place?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              I'm fairly certain that if it were Allah being prayed to in school rooms, or if it were muslim religious monuments being placed in public buildings, you'd all be changing your tune. Wouldn't you?
              As long as the government wasn't making laws establishing Islam as a state religion or otherwise suppressing religious expression (for instance, by forbidding Christian monuments) then, no, I wouldn't change my tune.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yes, they hate when your kids are not indoctrinated in the government schools!
                But you want them to be indoctrinated seer, you want them to be taught to be christian, or at least to be religious.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                  So do you think we should make it a law then that any teacher led praying in school need be generic in nature?
                  What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" don't you understand?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    er what?

Hey Jim, I thought you said you were in your 50's too? Don't YOU remember what prayer in school was like?

Comment

So you wouldn't mind if a similar muslim prayer were said in its place?
                      No, I want a Christian/Jewish prayer since that is our common and historical religion from the Founding. And a common religion is good for social cohesion. If I was living in Iran I would expect to hear a Muslim prayer, or in India, a Hindu prayer.

Comment

But you want them to be indoctrinated seer, you want them to be taught to be christian, or at least to be religious.
                        Well I'm not sure how hearing a prayer indoctrinates anyone.

Comment

No, I want a Christian/Jewish prayer since that is our common and historical religion from the Founding. And a common religion is good for social cohesion. If I was living in Iran I would expect to hear a Muslim prayer, or in India, a Hindu prayer.
                          I suspect our Founding Fathers simply never anticipated a day when Christianity wouldn't be uncontroversially accepted as the religion of America, and if they could have peered into the future and witnessed the unthinkable that they might have written the Constitution slightly differently.
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-25-2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• I think they should just allow a moment of silent prayer in schools. Or a private area where students and teachers can go to pray if they want to, like a chapel at a hospital.

What do muslim kids do now in school, since they are supposed to pray 5 times a day on prayer rugs and face Mecca? The schools can't legally stop them, and if they allow it then they have to allow other forms of prayer too.
                            Last edited by Sparko; 10-25-2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Perhaps you should look at the first five words of the 1st amendment with regards to this matter, Jimmy.....

Congress shall make no law...
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nonsense Roy, attendance at school is not compulsory, one could home school. Second, so what if it is - are we afraid that a child may see or hear something that they disagree with? If we use that standard then a lot of stuff would be removed from the courses. Are the JWs being damaged in some way because they have to sit through the Pledge? Your whole argument is just stupid.
                                That's not my argument
                                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment