Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberal Atheists are at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    The "liars" are the right-wing Christian attempts to rewrite history to make Jefferson into a Christian. By any doctrinal standard he was not.
    Interesting, whenever statistics claim Christians are doing something bad all it takes to be a Christian is to claim you are a Christian according to you lefty loonies.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Interesting, whenever statistics claim Christians are doing something bad all it takes to be a Christian is to claim you are a Christian according to you lefty loonies.
      Yeah, I was just thinking that .... a guy attends a church 30 years ago, then kills some people, and it's "those Christians"...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
        I said he didn't believe in the most commonly believed in Xtian god. Whether that does or does not qualify as believing in the Christian god depends on how that is defined. Form my perspective there is no such thing as the Christian god, as there are so many contradictory versions.
        From my perspective, you're so successfully nitpicking that it's extraordinarily easy to lose track of who's arguing what and where the conversation is going. Kudos to you.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You expect consistency?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              again, this isn't about who WE consider Christian. We have already said he was heretical and unorthodox. This is about what Jefferson considered himself to be. As far as he was concerned, the God he believed in was the Christian God. He was not a deist.
              You're not a christian just because you believe or say you are a christian, if you don't believe in the god of christianity then you are not a christian. Jefferson believed the same morals philosophy as Jesus preached but that doesn't make him a follower of Jesus, it simply means he agrees with the same moral philosophy.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                You're not a christian just because you believe or say you are a christian, if you don't believe in the god of christianity then you are not a christian. Jefferson believed the same morals philosophy as Jesus preached but that doesn't make him a follower of Jesus, it simply means he agrees with the same moral philosophy.
                How many times can you be wrong, JimL?

Simply repeating yourself in the face of actual evidence to the contrary doesn't make you right.

If Jefferson claimed he was a Christian, and he believed in God, then he was not a deist. That simple.

Comment

Here's the deal, Jimmy. When somebody tells me they are a Christian, yet they don't bear the fruit that I think a Christian should bear, I cut them some slack. They may be new on the journey, or they may have been through some rough times and are not doing their best. But it isn't my job to judge them and reject them - nor is it yours. You have such a horrible "throw them all in jail" judgmental attitude it's pathetic.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Simply repeating yourself in the face of actual evidence to the contrary doesn't make you right.

If Jefferson claimed he was a Christian, and he believed in God, then he was not a deist. That simple.
                    Jim don't need no stinkin' evidence.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Right back at ya. If Jefferson claimed to be a christian but didn't believe in the christian god, which he didn't, then he is not a christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Here's the deal, Jimmy. When somebody tells me they are a Christian, yet they don't bear the fruit that I think a Christian should bear, I cut them some slack. They may be new on the journey, or they may have been through some rough times and are not doing their best. But it isn't my job to judge them and reject them - nor is it yours. You have such a horrible "throw them all in jail" judgmental attitude it's pathetic.
                        Good for you CP. But that has nothing to do with whether or not Jefferson, who is dead, was a christian. He didn't believe in the christian god, ergo he was not a christian.

Comment

Right back at ya. If Jefferson claimed to be a christian but didn't believe in the christian god, which he didn't, then he is not a christian.
                          We never said he was a Christian. At least not an orthodox one. He was a heretic. We said that over and over.

We were arguing that he was not a deist. If he claimed to follow Jesus and claimed to be a Christian, then he was not a deist. He was most likely a unitarian, which is basically a christian "cult"

Comment

We never said he was a Christian. At least not an orthodox one. He was a heretic. We said that over and over.

We were arguing that he was not a deist. If he claimed to follow Jesus and claimed to be a Christian, then he was not a deist. He was most likely a unitarian, which is basically a christian "cult"
                            PS - Jews aren't Christian either, and they don't believe in Jesus' divinity. But both Jews and Christians believe in the same God, Yahweh/Jehovah. They just have different ideas about his nature. same with Unitarians and Jefferson.

Comment

PS - Jews aren't Christian either, and they don't believe in Jesus' divinity. But both Jews and Christians believe in the same God, Yahweh/Jehovah. They just have different ideas about his nature. same with Unitarians and Jefferson.
                              You could add Muslims and Baha'i to that list
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                You could add Muslims and Baha'i to that list
                                maybe. But they have changed their definition of God to be a lot different than Jehovah. At least Islam has. I don't know that much about Baha'i.

Comment