Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting Las Vegas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Then you're wrong, because the actual situation is less people owning more guns. The rise in the number of firearms is not due to more people buying guns, it's due to the people who already own guns buying additional ones.
    On 2nd thoughts, maybe it isn't. Maybe it is more people buying guns, but considerably less gun-owners being willing to admit they own them.

Is the meme that the US government is planning to confiscate everyone's guns spreading so well that people are hiding them and buying back-ups?
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Is the meme that the US government is planning to confiscate everyone's guns spreading so well that people are hiding them and buying back-ups?
      Bingo!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

On 2nd thoughts, maybe it isn't. Maybe it is more people buying guns, but considerably less gun-owners being willing to admit they own them.

There could be something to that. It's similar to the hypothesis that the reason Trump polled poorly during the campaign yet went on to trounce Hillary in the election is because people didn't want to openly admit they were planning to vote for Trump. Of course the other hypothesis is that the polling firms were simply biased against Trump. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

But anyway, given the recent stigma against guns, it may simply be the case that people don't want to admit they own them.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I personally know a couple of guys who would never admit owning weapons in a poll. (yeah, maybe a little paranoid) I know others who would never admit owning as many as they do.

Texas experienced a boom in new gun buyers when the concealed carry went into effect years ago. The good thing about CCL is everyone has to go through training and evaluated on the range as to their ability to safely handle and shoot the weapon.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
            I understand the original historical context of the 2nd Amendment to be slavery - the Slaves States operated the equivalent of a State Guard that patrolled for runaway slaves. There was a fear that the federal government might be effectively able to end slavery via a ban on the States operating such militias, because then in practice the slaves would be able to escape. So the 2nd Amendment bans the Federal government from prohibiting States from operating militias.

One could argue that the ending of slavery means the 2nd Amendment has expired because its original intended purpose is now moot. Or one could argue that its original intended purpose remains: States are constitutionally able to operate a State Guard and the federal government is not allowed to ban such armies.
            huh? Where did you get that?

The context is that the Revolutionary War was fought for and won by ordinary citizen militias and we wanted to protect our rights to keep guns and overthrow any government that needed overthrowing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Ann Coulter wonders why the media seems so disinterested in digging into this story.

Source: Breitbart

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ive-hes-white/

© Copyright Original Source

I think the media is afraid they are going to find out that this guy was an "alt-left" nutjob who was out to kill Trump supporters. Then where does their narrative go? Better to focus on the guns and ignore the person who did it.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Sort of like how a shrew on The View ranted about "bump cartridges"
                Fun fact: Bump-stocks were declared legal under Obama's administration. oopsie.

Comment

Seriously? Are you being deliberately obtuse? I'm not talking about just gun-related crimes but violent crime overall. Yes, Australia's rate of gun homicide may have decreased, following the ban, to pick one statistic, but the rate of homicide overall didn't change. Similarly, suicide by gun decreased, but suicide rates overall stayed the same.

In other words, guns aren't the problem; therefore, banning guns isn't the solution.
                  In most places after a ban on handguns, the violent crime rate either stayed the same or actually increased.

https://crimeresearch.org/2013/12/mu...fter-gun-bans/

Comment

I am sure you are right. the actual gun ownership is probably higher than reported, and you can bet that people are not reporting illegal guns, so gang members and criminals are not reporting owning guns.

from 2013 a PEW research article on gun ownership, approx 37% of American households own guns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I think the media is afraid they are going to find out that this guy was an "alt-left" nutjob who was out to kill Trump supporters. Then where does their narrative go? Better to focus on the guns and ignore the person who did it.
                      I dunno. I think they're looking, just not finding much if anything. The accounts I'm reading indicate they're still looking for clues. If they were disinterested in disseminating his motives, I don't think they'd be talking about it.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I dunno. I think they're looking, just not finding much if anything. The accounts I'm reading indicate they're still looking for clues. If they were disinterested in disseminating his motives, I don't think they'd be talking about it.
                        Could be. I was just speculating.

Comment

• Ever notice that the public faces of gun control, the celebrities and politicians, never go out in public without armed guards?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            When a Muslim terrorist shot up a gay nightclub, the media was quick to speculate that maybe he wasn't a Muslim terrorist at all but was really a self-hating homosexual.

In the case of Paddock, they haven't even bothered to invent a narrative. They're just straight up ignoring it, which I find very strange.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

When a Muslim terrorist shot up a gay nightclub, the media was quick to speculate that maybe he wasn't a Muslim terrorist at all but was really a self-hating homosexual.

In the case of Paddock, they haven't even bothered to invent a narrative. They're just straight up ignoring it, which I find very strange.
                              They aren't ignoring it - they're reporting that investigators are still looking for a possible motive. Nobody seems to have any idea what it might have been. He was apparently a very private guy, and his girlfriend says she had no idea this was coming.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I did hear on the news yesterday a reporter mentioned that there were "mis-statements" found in his brother's statements. That seems curious. no details were mentioned though.

Comment