Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Season ticket sales for next year ought to be interesting.
    No doubt by that time it will be "old news."
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You can look at the pictures of the stands right in the article you linked to, DumbL.

Here is a relevant quote and photo screengrabbed right from your own article saying that:

"The other issue to keep in mind is that attendance figures do not necessarily tell us how many people actually attended the games. Since 2005, the NFL has encouraged teams to report "tickets distributed" as opposed to the actual number of fans that pass through the turnstiles. Tickets distributed includes tickets sold and tickets given away (e.g. charity donations).

That's why we can have a game in San Francisco with a reported "attendance" of 70,000 and the stadium still looks half empty."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25118[/ATTACH]
      These sort of photos of half empty stadiums pepper this thread but jimmy dismissed them by saying it's only teams that are on the bottom that have low turn out and that ought to be expected. Of course I posted numbers showing how previously teams on the bottom had 90% full stadiums but not this year
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Jimmy is claiming that the half empty stadiums for lousy teams is what is to be expected and does not reflect the effects of any boycotting of NFL games. Well, let's examine the veracity of that claim. Let's look back to the attendance figures of the teams with the worst records back in 2015 (the year before the National Anthem protests began) and see what sort of crowds they were experiencing.

The two teams with the worst records that year were the Cleveland Browns and the Tennessee Titans, but according to records provided by the NFL both teams averaged over 90% capacity (90.4% and 90.1% respectively) per game for their 8 home games.

Likewise the Dallas Cowboys and San Diego Chargers, which were tied for the second worst records in 2015, also had attendances which averaged over 90% (91.5% and 94.6% respectively).

Click on a few times to fully enbiggen
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]24638[/ATTACH]
      Here is a look at what the crowd looked like this year when Cleveland,
      which is still at the bottom, played Tennessee, which is currently leading
      their division. Does it look anywhere close to 90%? Or 80%? Or 70%

So much for jimmy's claim.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

not sure how season tickets work in the NFL, but if getting the next year's season tickets depends on you continuing to buy them every year then they could get sales just because people don't want to give up their seats. But then again, there was a news report that Directv was giving out a ton of refunds for their NFL season passes on their network.

People might be thinking that the players will come to their senses soon and apologize and stop their disrespect so they want to keep their season tickets for that reason but refuse to attend the games while they are disrespecting the flag.

Comment

Depending on the team, yeah. Some teams have decades-long waiting lists at the moment.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Depending on the team, yeah. Some teams have decades-long waiting lists at the moment.
            When I was visiting relative up in Minnesota one of my cousins was thrilled that he was going to be in a lottery with a chance to win season tickets because they were virtually impossible to get hold of.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

People might be thinking that the players will come to their senses soon and apologize and stop their disrespect so they want to keep their season tickets for that reason but refuse to attend the games while they are disrespecting the flag.
              I suspect the most likely outcome is that the NFL will end the tradition of starting games with the singing of the national anthem because the players have gone too far to simply back down now. But would that appease the fans? I doubt it.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I suspect the most likely outcome is that the NFL will end the tradition of starting games with the singing of the national anthem because the players have gone too far to simply back down now. But would that appease the fans? I doubt it.
                They will need to somehow declare victory or goal accomplished and then go back to standing for the anthem and pretend they won, wink, wink.

Comment

They will need to somehow declare victory or goal accomplished and then go back to standing for the anthem and pretend they won, wink, wink.
                  "We got people talking about the issue (whatever it is), and that's all we intended to do. Now we feel like we can salute our flag again. This, of course, has nothing at all to do with the decreased attendance at our games and the dismal TV ratings."

Comment

I think that would make many of them turn to baseball.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Eh, I'm skeptical. While some people like both sports, they're very different.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Might be an increase in college football (already very popular).

Comment

But would that appease the fans? I doubt it.
                          The problem with the entertainment industry is that a lot of them don't realize how many other options are out there. Once they lose a fan that's it. The fan figures out that he does not, in fact, need X sport/video game/tv show to give his life meaning and finds something else to do. By the time the company does a turn-around the fan will be long gone and probably not even keeping up with the company's latest efforts.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Sparko called it: at least one player says he will stand for the anthem after the NFL agreed to donate $89 million to "social justice" charities.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017...ustice-pledge/

Comment

Sparko called it: at least one player says he will stand for the anthem after the NFL agreed to donate $89 million to "social justice" charities.

A shakdedown - Jesse Jackson style!!!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sparko called it: at least one player says he will stand for the anthem after the NFL agreed to donate $89 million to "social justice" charities.

Which is more than they donate for St. Jude's or any other single charity. Pathetic. And it will more than likely end up in the hands of George Soros or other goons like him.
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment