Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Why do you think that? There were plenty of deaths that grew BLM momentum to the point where any single one could have never happened without having an impact, let alone minor details like this. Furthermore, the veracity of "hand up don't shoot" doesn't matter as much as what it represents. This is a good article explaining why.
    And yet even BLM says that it was the shooting of Michael Ferguson and the "Hands up don't shoot" narrative that kick started the movement.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      As per MLK and the Civil Rights movement,
      which was quite well thought out and implemented at great personal risk.

people are made aware of the grievances of the black population in a white dominated society.
      MLK and the CRM - that was tremendously effective - the "hey look at me" athletes, not so much.

Less small-minded people would regard this as a noble cause...
      Again, you have this deranged notion that you can read minds.

especially as the millionaire players have little to personally gain from their stance.
      And probably even less to gain for their theatrics. All they're doing is creating greater division.

Yeah, more mind reading from the Magnificent CarTassy!

carnac-the-magnificent.jpg

It would be GREAT if you were half as smart as you thought you were!
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-24-2017, 06:51 AM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why do you think that? There were plenty of deaths that grew BLM momentum to the point where any single one could have never happened without having an impact, let alone minor details like this. Furthermore, the veracity of "hand up don't shoot" doesn't matter as much as what it represents. This is a good article explaining why.
        It represents a false narrative. Police, at least in this country, do not shoot unarmed people unprovoked. If nothing else, it pretty much guarantees a ticket to the unemployment line and a permanently ruined reputation. Every time a police officer fires his weapon in the line of duty, it is heavily scrutinized. Do YOU deliberately do actions which lead to heavy scrutiny?
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I get that you care more about culturally arbitrary political posturing than objectively harmful acts against symbology and ceremony. I should hope that wealthy people use their money and influence to advance good causes and I'm glad conservatives are so sensitive and easy to offend that what should have been a futile act turned into a fixture of the news cycle.

Only problem is, everybody is talking about the spoiled rich brats on the football field. Their "cause" has been pushed so far into the background that most people don't even know why the players are kneeling.

In the meantime, the epidemic of blacks killing blacks is all but ignored.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            And yet even BLM says that it was the shooting of Michael Ferguson and the "Hands up don't shoot" narrative that kick started the movement.
            Source?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              It represents a false narrative. Police, at least in this country, do not shoot unarmed people unprovoked. If nothing else, it pretty much guarantees a ticket to the unemployment line and a permanently ruined reputation. Every time a police officer fires his weapon in the line of duty, it is heavily scrutinized. Do YOU deliberately do actions which lead to heavy scrutiny?
              The key lies in the word "unprovoked". An officer firing their gun certainly feels provoked, but what matters is if their reaction was justified considering what provoked them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Only problem is, everybody is talking about the spoiled rich brats on the football field. Their "cause" has been pushed so far into the background that most people don't even know why the players are kneeling.

In the meantime, the epidemic of blacks killing blacks is all but ignored.
                They're protesting for a cause they believe in at the risk of their jobs. That doesn't seem spoiled to me. If people complaining don't know why they're protesting, that shows that the complainers are hypocrites. Also, a question for you: why do you think conservatives always mention black on black crime whenever black people try to draw attention to racial inequality and injustice?

Comment

The key lies in the word "unprovoked". An officer firing their gun certainly feels provoked, but what matters is if their reaction was justified considering what provoked them.
                  But even when the shooting is ruled justifiable, it doesn't prevent the riots spurred on by the leftists, and the false narrative based on lying witnesses.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That actually made it a national movement, but I think it started with the Trayvon Martin shooting by George Zimmerman - the "white guy" who was Hispanic.

Comment

Whatever happened, it's not relevant now, so there's no reason to harp on it.
                      you mean like the way the liberals keep harping on it? or blaming the Russians for the election? or kept blaming Bush 8 years after Obama was elected?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        That actually made it a national movement, but I think it started with the Trayvon Martin shooting by George Zimmerman - the "white guy" who was Hispanic.
                        That's what I meant by "kick started." And since BLM's big issue is police shooting blacks and Zimmerman wasn't a cop...

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's what I meant by "kick started." And since BLM's big issue is police shooting blacks and Zimmerman wasn't a cop...
                          Yes, the "hands up" thing at Ferguson is what catapulted it into the hot mess it is today, complete with "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon", which has MLK looking down from Heaven, smiling, saying, "just like I taught...."

no, wait

Comment

Source?
                            Source: Why 'hands up, don't shoot' resonates regardless of evidence

"Hands up, don't shoot" has become shorthand for police mistreatment of minorities, one that's spreading beyond traditional protest scenes. It has evolved into a national movement with demands centered on changing what some see as systemic problems in law enforcement that lead to mistreatment of minorities.

Protesters, pro athletes, Broadway performers and congressional staffers have used the gesture in public in a show of solidarity. Last month, when nine police officers walked into a Mexican restaurant in Brooklyn, an employee raised his hands in an apparent protest of the police, the restaurant said; the officers left.

"It's a universal symbol of surrender. It's also a very simple gesture, and that's part of what makes something resonate," said Jane Rhodes, head of African-American Studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

To people who have embraced the "hands up" gesture, though, the varying accounts don't seem to matter much. Within hours of the shooting, "hands up" became a rallying cry, a social media meme and a T-shirt slogan.

"Hands up" took off because it's a reality for many people of color, activist and organizer DeRay Mckesson said. People don't need a national advocacy group or a charismatic leader to explain it to them. People relate to it on a personal level.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

DeRay Mckesson is, according to his Wikipedia bio, "a supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement and is known for his activism via social media outlets such as Twitter and Instagram and has been active in the protests in Ferguson, Missouri and Baltimore, Maryland."

From the website BlackPast.org in an article described as "explores the rapid rise of the Black Lives Matter Movement as the most recent development in the ongoing struggle for racial and social justice in the United States."
                            Source: Black Lives Matter: The Growth of a New Social Justice Movement

On August 9, 2014, Black Lives Matter members took their grievances to the streets for the first time through the Black Lives Matter Freedom Ride to Ferguson, Missouri. Here they participated in the non-violent demonstrations for justice in the wake of eighteen-year-old Michael Brown who had been murdered at the hand of police officer Darren Wilson. More than five hundred Black Lives Matter members from Baltimore, Maryland; Berkeley and Los Angeles, California; Boston, Massachusetts; Chicago, Illinois; Columbus, Ohio; Denver, Colorado; Detroit, Michigan; Houston, Texas; Nashville, Tennessee; New York City and Syracuse, New York; Portland, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; Tucson, Arizona; Washington D.C.; and Winston-Salem, North Carolina; descended on Ferguson. The number of cities represented reflected the rapid spread of the organization in just one year.

Like other protesters, Black Lives Matter members were angered not simply by the shooting of an unarmed African American but also because his body was allowed to lie in the street for four hours before it was eventually taken to the city morgue, an event that was well documented by bystanders with cell phones and distributed within minutes around the world via Twitter and Facebook. This instant exposure generated months of sometimes peaceful and sometimes violent protests which involved Ferguson residents at first but eventually drew tens of thousands of people from across the United States. , ensuring as never before, that the centuries-old issue of police brutality would now be addressed on the national and international stage.

Source

Source: Wikipedia

Though the Black Lives Matter activist movement began in response to the death of Trayvon Martin two years earlier, it staged its first in-person national protest in the form of a "Black Lives Matter Freedom Ride" to Ferguson, Missouri three weeks after the shooting of Michael Brown. One of the rallying cries at those protests was "Hands Up, Don't Shoot".[18] This became a common chant at Black Lives Matter protests, along with the dying words of Eric Garner ("I can't breathe"),[19]

Source

The "I can't breathe" chant started more than 3 months later, long after BLM became well known.

CBS had an article called "Black Lives Matter: How the events in Ferguson sparked a movement" which started with "Aug 7, 2015 - Black Lives Matter movement was ignited after the police shooting death of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown" and mentioned the importance of the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" mantra was to the group but now the link takes you to a story called "How a death in Ferguson sparked a movement in America" Still, if you Google the original title you'll see what I mean.

Fortune has an article "The Birth and Rise of the Black Lives Matter Movement" which starts with "Michael Brown's death 3 years ago was a catalyst for the Black Lives Matter movement" but apparently now you need a subscription to access it

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Yes, the "hands up" thing at Ferguson is what catapulted it into the hot mess it is today, complete with "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon", which has MLK looking down from Heaven, smiling, saying, "just like I taught...."

no, wait
                              Don't forget "What do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!"

Comment

Don't forget "What do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!"
                                And the F-word laden taunts to the crowds both in Ferguson and Baltimore - if you and I had done that we would have been arrested for inciting a riot, which did, indeed, occur.

Comment