Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Rush Limbaugh: Hurricanes are a liberal conspiracy for promoting climate change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    I never claimed he was the one who came up with the idea. I said he did hold on to it and support it.
    You said,
    Tassman pointed to the fact that Luther held his position based on his reading of the Bible. Not because most other Christians believed it.
    This sort of implies that Luther came up with it, yes?
    Being "only" very influential among Lutherans is no little thing. I never claimed the Catholic Church did hold on to it because of Luther. Wonder why you came up with that idea.
    I never claimed you claimed that.
    They both did hold on to the view because litteraly speaking the Bible claims reality is geocentric.
    No more than the local weather report claims reality is geocentric when it refers to "sunrise" and "sunset."
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      He was right about heliocentrism but the evidence he presented was erroneous.
      That's the part they keep ignoring.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        That's the part they keep ignoring.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

He was right about heliocentrism but the evidence he presented was erroneous.
          Maybe so, but since when does the Church put to trial a scientist such as Galileo if not for doctrinal reasons? In short religious doctrine took precedence over scientific enquiry. It still does in matters such as Evolution

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Maybe so, but since when does the Church put to trial a scientist such as Galileo if not for doctrinal reasons? In short religious doctrine took precedence over scientific enquiry. It still does in matters such as Evolution
            Thats the part they keep ignoring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              Maybe so, but since when does the Church put to trial a scientist such as Galileo if not for doctrinal reasons?
              More like, the Catholic Church found a doctrinal reason to put him on trial.
              In short religious doctrine took precedence over scientific enquiry. It still does in matters such as Evolution
              Well, no. We've been over this before, but you seem incapable of grasping that Galileo was put on trial not so much for his views but for how he presented them. You're not one to let facts stand in the way of your narrative, however.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                More like, the Catholic Church found a doctrinal reason to put him on trial.
                Duh, ya think!
                Well, no. We've been over this before, but you seem incapable of grasping that Galileo was put on trial not so much for his views but for how he presented them. You're not one to let facts stand in the way of your narrative, however.
                Thats a semantical argument, in other words its a distinction without a difference. How Galileo presented his views is still his views against the views of the church. You've been over this before? Do you get it this time?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Duh, ya think!

Thats a semantical argument, in other words its a distinction without a difference. How Galileo presented his views is still his views against the views of the church. You've been over this before? Do you get it this time?
                  Empirically verified views are not dependent upon courteous presentation, let alone doctrinal correctness. They stand alone

Comment

Duh, ya think!

That you fail to grasp the distinction and attempt to hand-wave it away does not surprise me in the least. Your usual clumsy attempt to put me down is duly noted.
                    sigpic

Comment

That you fail to grasp the distinction and attempt to hand-wave it away does not surprise me in the least. Your usual clumsy attempt to put me down is duly noted.
                      Nice try, you lose.

Comment

Nice try, you lose.
                        Your opinion is duly noted. As the immortal John Dilick once said, "An insult should be a pointed barb that jabs home with speed and precision. Your attempts are more akin to flailing blindly with a cup of tofu. It looks ridiculous, does no harm and smells funny." Please fail better.

You may have the last word, since you seem to have a burning need to have it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Your opinion is duly noted. As the immortal John Dilick once said, "An insult should be a pointed barb that jabs home with speed and precision. Your attempts are more akin to flailing blindly with a cup of tofu. It looks ridiculous, does no harm and smells funny." Please fail better.

You may have the last word, since you seem to have a burning need to have it.
                          Okay, i get the last word. You lose! Thats obvious to any objective follower of this thread, though you haven't the integrity to admit it. Now, carry on with what you do best, wallowing in the mud!

Comment

Okay, i get the last word. You lose!
                            A classic example of the pigeon playing chess. Knocks over all the pieces, poops on the board and flies off proclaiming victory.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A classic example of the pigeon playing chess. Knocks over all the pieces, poops on the board and flies off proclaiming victory.
                              No, the pigeon saw that the naughty little pig was in checkmate and refused to concede. Instead he snorts at the victor and waddles away like the arrogant little bore that he is.

Comment

No, the pigeon saw that the naughty little pig was in checkmate and refused to concede. Instead he snorts at the victor and waddles away like the arrogant little bore that he is.
                                Um, I think you mean "boar"..although, perhaps not.

Comment