Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A thought on sanctuary cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    quoting myself =/= walkback
    You can either speak plainly about what you mean or allow others to say it for you. We both know why you avoid the former.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

A number of religious leaders debased themselves in their support for Trump. Consider Fr. Frank Pavone of Priests for Life, who placed an aborted baby on an altar in a video urging people to vote for Trump. This was a desecration of human remains as well as of God's altar.
      I agree. However, using one example to broad-brush "the Right" is hardly fair, doncha think?
      If that's not enough for you, might I recommend Russell Moore's essay in First Things from earlier this year? https://www.firstthings.com/article/...right-be-saved
      Since there is rather a paucity of sources, it's difficult to know how widespread much of the stuff he references is. The odds are decent he's using the worst examples he can find to drive home his points. Even so, I don't see anything that excuses the over-the-top rhetoric in your OP.

If I were a card-carrying Catholic, I'd be more embarrassed by Nancy Pelosi and the legions of Catholic Democrats who support abortion than Fr. Frank.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I am not tracking your thought process at all.

As far as I can tell, the only person to really grasp what I was trying to get at in the OP was OBP. My stance on immigration is immaterial.
        well maybe I am not tracking your thought process then. Because the whole point of sanctuary cities is immigration and that is the title of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          well maybe I am not tracking your thought process then. Because the whole point of sanctuary cities is immigration and that is the title of this thread.
          I don't think we have ever found it easy to understand each other. More than half a year of not interacting at all probably hasn't helped.
          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            You are tracking his thoughts just fine. He just pretends we are all beneath him because he can't defend his positions.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I agree. However, using one example to broad-brush "the Right" is hardly fair, doncha think?

Since there is rather a paucity of sources, it's difficult to know how widespread much of the stuff he references is. The odds are decent he's using the worst examples he can find to drive home his points. Even so, I don't see anything that excuses the over-the-top rhetoric in your OP.
              He wasn't the only religious leader to try to convince people that they have an absolute religious obligation to vote for Trump. There were also plenty of conservative Christians who thought Obama might be the antichrist.

Has there ever been a time when American religion has been free of con-men and charlatans? Go back to the Maria Monk scares, to Joseph Smith-- there have always been people willing to make a buck off of exploiting religious fervor. Do you think that the political manifestations of modern American Christianity are more likely to be free of charlatans than their churches are of the like of Joel Osteen?

If I were a card-carrying Catholic, I'd be more embarrassed by Nancy Pelosi and the legions of Catholic Democrats who support abortion than Fr. Frank.
              No one ever told me to look up to Pelosi. Plenty of people have treated Fr. Frank as someone worth admiring and listening to, even after his little stunt. It's hard to be embarrassed by Pelosi when you've never for a minute thought of her as a heroic figure.

Comment

I don't think we have ever found it easy to understand each other. More than half a year of not interacting at all probably hasn't helped.
                I wasn't attacking you or being snide. I was just commenting on what I thought you were saying and also trying to make the point that as Christians our views are not really that different. As Leonhard said, I think most of our differences are regarding social programs. We both believe in helping the poor, we just think how to do it in different ways, for example.

Comment

He wasn't the only religious leader to try to convince people that they have an absolute religious obligation to vote for Trump. There were also plenty of conservative Christians who thought Obama might be the antichrist.
                  Erm... "plenty"? I'm going to need a source for this. Sure, some claimed he was, but some also claimed that of Trump. You can't be elected president without at least some people accusing you of being the antichrist.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig
                    She's much maligned in most orthodox (little 'o') Catholic circles, and she's received, long ago, a formal correction from a cardinal who told her to refrain from communion until she had repented and shown public contrition. The fact that she doesn't care about his warning and proudly receives anyway (to her own spiritual detriment) doesn't bother me nearly as much as the scandalous fact that there's a priest out there giving her communion.

East or West, there's plenty of oddball priests and bishops to be ashamed of, even more so among the laity.

Being less ashamed of one, rather than another, doesn't mean that you shouldn't call out that person. The fact that there's worse stuff, doesn't mean you're excused from failing to call attention to something.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      She's much maligned in most orthodox (little 'o') Catholic circles, and she's received, long ago, a formal correction from a cardinal who told her to refrain from communion until she had repented and shown public contrition. The fact that she doesn't care about his warning and proudly receives anyway (to her own spiritual detriment) doesn't bother me nearly as much as the scandalous fact that there's a priest out there giving her communion.

East or West, there's plenty of oddball priests and bishops to be ashamed of, even more so among the laity.

Being less ashamed of one, rather than another, doesn't mean that you shouldn't call out that person. The fact that there's worse stuff, doesn't mean you're excused from failing to call attention to something.
                      Pelosi lives in her own little world. Recall after how after meeting the pope in 2009 she came out saying it was a wholly positive encounter where they discussed poverty, hunger and global warming. Meanwhile the Vatican released a note dealing with the meeting, which U.S. News & World Report reported "exuded chilliness," which mentioned none of these things and instead said
                      "Following the General Audience the Holy Father briefly greeted Mrs Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the United States House of Representatives, together with her entourage.

His Holiness took the opportunity to speak of the requirements of the natural moral law and the Church's consistent teaching on the dignity of human life from conception to natural death which enjoin all Catholics, and especially legislators, jurists and those responsible for the common good of society, to work in cooperation with all men and women of good will in creating a just system of laws capable of protecting human life at all stages of its development."

Another indication that the meeting was anything but wholly positive, was the pope also refused to have his picture taken with her which is the customary practice.

As the Catholic theologian and commentator, George Weigel (a Distinguished Senior Fellow of the Ethics and Public Policy Center), said that Pelosi is "deeply confused about what her church teaches on the morality of abortion" but "has now been informed."

It isn't like she wasn't "informed" previously since six months earlier Pelosi was rebuked by several U.S. bishops for attempting to theologically justify her position on abortion during an interview with "Meet the Press."

Weigel further noted that

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Pelosi lives in her own little world. Recall after how after meeting the pope in 2009 she came out saying it was a wholly positive encounter where they discussed poverty, hunger and global warming. Meanwhile the Vatican released a note dealing with the meeting, which U.S. News & World Report reported "exuded chilliness," which mentioned none of these things and instead said
                        "Following the General Audience the Holy Father briefly greeted Mrs Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the United States House of Representatives, together with her entourage.

His Holiness took the opportunity to speak of the requirements of the natural moral law and the Church's consistent teaching on the dignity of human life from conception to natural death which enjoin all Catholics, and especially legislators, jurists and those responsible for the common good of society, to work in cooperation with all men and women of good will in creating a just system of laws capable of protecting human life at all stages of its development."

Another indication that the meeting was anything but wholly positive, was the pope also refused to have his picture taken with her which is the customary practice.

As the Catholic theologian and commentator, George Weigel (a Distinguished Senior Fellow of the Ethics and Public Policy Center), said that Pelosi is "deeply confused about what her church teaches on the morality of abortion" but "has now been informed."

It isn't like she wasn't "informed" previously since six months earlier Pelosi was rebuked by several U.S. bishops for attempting to theologically justify her position on abortion during an interview with "Meet the Press."

Weigel further noted that
                        Recently, Pelosi was part of the faction of the Democratic party leadership that insisted that there be no pro-abortion litmus test for Democratic candidates for office. She could be worse.

Comment

Recently, Pelosi was part of the faction of the Democratic party leadership that insisted that there be no pro-abortion litmus test for Democratic candidates for office. She could be worse.
                          "She could be worse" is hardly a ringing endorsement

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment