Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No, Trump Did Not Call Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists 'Very Fine People'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, Trump Did Not Call Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists 'Very Fine People'

No, Trump Did Not Call Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists 'Very Fine People'

Left wing fact-checker admits Trump never called Charlottesville neo-Nazis ‘very fine people’ in blow to Biden

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

The left-leaning fact-checking website Snopes acknowledged Saturday that former President Trump never called neo-Nazis "very fine people" during his press conference following the Charlottesville "Unite the Right" rally in 2017.

Critics of Trump have claimed for years that he equated neo-Nazis with counterprotesters following the event. President Biden was chief among those critics, citing the supposed incident as a main reason for launching his 2020 campaign.

"While Trump did say that there were ‘very fine people on both sides,’ he also specifically noted that he was not talking about neo-Nazis and White supremacists and said they should be 'condemned totally.' Therefore, we have rated this claim 'False,'" Snopes wrote.

From Snopes.com

On Aug. 15, 2017, then-President Donald Trump called neo-Nazis and white supremacists who attended the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, "very fine people."

Context

In a news conference after the rally protesting the planned removal of a Confederate statue, Trump did say there were "very fine people on both sides," referring to the protesters and the counterprotesters. He said in the same statement he wasn't talking about neo-Nazis and white nationalists, who he said should be "condemned totally."

false.jpg

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Nearly six months after
    He admits the "fine people on both sides" narrative was a hoax.

Anti-Trump actor and activist Michael Rapaport has now acknowledged he peddled fake news about the Charlottesville narrative surrounding former President Donald Trump when he said there were "fine people on both sides."

"I was wrong,” Rapaport commented on the Patrick Bet David (PBD) podcast about the Charlottesville narrative.

Rapaport has recently even said that voting for Trump is now "on the table" because of Biden's actions with the Israel-Hamas war, as well as when a group of illegal immigrants beat up cops in New York City.

[...]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Are they just coming to this conclusion now?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

They probably knew it all along, but I believe Alliance Defending Freedom had something to do with it.

From the Snopes article...

Updates

June 21 2024: This story was updated with an editor's note to clarify what Snopes was fact-checking; a link to NYT video of the event in question; statements Trump made prior to the "both sides" news conference; and social posts in 2024 that recirculated the rumors.

Note the date of the update.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Look at how long they were in denial regarding Hunter's laptop.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Yet, some of the liberals here on Tweb were very using the "very fine people" argument over and over and over, regardless of context.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              If I was a cynic I would say that these look like election interference...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Way back in June of 2019, Mountain Man posted this....

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Here's the "very fine people" statement in context:

If you reported it accurately, you would say that the neo-Nazis started this thing. They showed up in Charlottesville. Excuse me. They didn't put themselves down as neo-Nazis. You had some very bad people in that group. You also had some very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group -- excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down, of to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.

Later in the same press conference, he said:

You had people and i'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists. They should be condemned totally. You had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists. The press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats. You had a lot of bad people in the other group too.

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/15/161540...harlottesville

Anybody who could think that Trump was directly or indirectly calling white supremacists "very fine people" is either deceived, or being deceptive themselves.
                But the lefties persisted in perpetuating the lie.

Comment

Hmmm... I wonder if the timing has anything to do with the upcoming debate? If I was a suspicious person, I might conclude that the Biden Team® had planned on using that as an attack by Sleepy Joe, but asked Snopes to first make sure they don't get caught by surprise. "If it's false, we need to know now." Otherwise, why wait all this time to finally debunk it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yet, some of the liberals here on Tweb were very using the "very fine people" argument over and over and over, regardless of context.
                    And denying that Hunter's laptop was real.

And denying that Ashley's diary was real.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                      Hmmm... I wonder if the timing has anything to do with the upcoming debate? If I was a suspicious person, I might conclude that the Biden Team® had planned on using that as an attack by Sleepy Joe, but asked Snopes to first make sure they don't get caught by surprise. "If it's false, we need to know now." Otherwise, why wait all this time to finally debunk it?
                      How would they NOT know already that it was false? They were the ones who started falsely quoting Trump in the first place. And they have access to the clips just like anyone else does.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

How would they NOT know already that it was false? They were the ones who started falsely quoting Trump in the first place. And they have access to the clips just like anyone else does.
                        Maybe they knew it was false, but wanted to make sure that Snopes wouldn't contradict them? I still feel it is connected to the debate. The timing is just weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Exactly, they knew all along.

Comment

Where were the "very fine people" at the Friday night Charlottesville rally? What were they doing while the mass of rallygoers were chanting "Jews will not replace us"? Maybe that kid back there in the white shirt?

_82A2092.jpg

-Sam
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              Where were the "very fine people" at the Friday night Charlottesville rally? What were they doing while the mass of rallygoers were chanting "Jews will not replace us"? Maybe that kid back there in the white shirt?

_82A2092.jpg

-Sam
                              You are an idiot Sam. There were many 'very fine' people who did not want the statues taken down. Many were historians. You obviously want to keep the lie going...

Comment