Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sotomayer Doesn't Understand Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eider View Post

There are many kinds of 'very fast fire guns' out there, and rifles fitted with bump-stocks are right up there alongside the fixed-pin repeaters, stens and more complex weapons that can 'very fast fire'.

I wonder who will be getting these? Not your regular shooter, for sure. More like the nutcases among you all.
    Um... "Stens," are actual submachine guns. I've fired a suppressed one a few times. They have a nasty reputation for blockages and jamming.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
      Bump stocks are back on the rack boys as SCOTUS overturns bump stock bans. In a classic move, leftists don't understand how guns work

“When I see a bird that walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck,” Sotomayor wrote in her dissent. “A bump-stock-equipped semiautomatic rifle fires ‘automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.’ Because I, like Congress, call that a machinegun, I respectfully dissent.”

Of course, she's not alone in not understanding how guns function:

The pro-gun safety group Brady United similarly denounced the ruling, saying in a statement on X: “Bump stocks essentially turn semi-automatic weapons into machine guns. Weapons of war should have no place in our communities.”

Thomas, of course, actually understands how guns function:

“A bump stock does not convert a semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun any more than a shooter with a lightning-fast trigger finger does,” Thomas wrote in his opinion. “Even with a bump stock, a semiautomatic rifle will fire only one shot for every ‘function of the trigger.’

Quotes per CNN
      Justice Thomas is an idiot, and a corrupt idiot at that. He probably has an NRA paid for vacation coming up. The Bump stock turns a semiautomatic rifle into a gun that can shoot 800 rounds a minute. I don't care what lame excuses you come up with, that's a machine gun. Common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post

Justice Thomas is an idiot, and a corrupt idiot at that. He probably has an NRA paid for vacation coming up. The Bump stock turns a semiautomatic rifle into a gun that can shoot 800 rounds a minute. I don't care what lame excuses you come up with, that's a machine gun. Common sense.
        Translastion:

You don't like the facts of the law and that Thomas knows more about how guns operate than you.

As a point though, certain machine guns are still technically legal. They're expensive, but still legal.
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

All of this is irrelevant to the actual wording of the law, which is the proper basis for non-activist court rulings.
          Yup. The court's duty isn't to "fix" a law but determine what the law says and means. If Congress wants to change the definition of what constitutes a full automatic weapon like machineguns, it is up to Congress to change the definition -- not the Court.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Translastion:

You don't like the facts of the law and that Thomas knows more about how guns operate than you.

As a point though, certain machine guns are still technically legal. They're expensive, but still legal.
            Only for those who've been approved by the ATF.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Thomas' remark torpedoes your declaration.

“A bump stock does not convert a semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun any more than a shooter with a lightning-fast trigger finger does,” Thomas wrote in his opinion. “Even with a bump stock, a semiautomatic rifle will fire only one shot for every ‘function of the trigger.’

That's what both understanding firearms and the law looks like.
              That's what justices who leave their common sense at the door does.

Comment

Thomas address the technical aspect:

“Firing multiple shots using a semiautomatic rifle with a bump stock requires more than a single function of the trigger,” Thomas wrote, underscoring the idea that the devices are not the same thing as an automatic weapon where a shooter simply holds down a trigger.

“Too much forward pressure and the rifle will not slide back far enough to release and reset the trigger, preventing the rifle from firing another shot. Too little pressure and the trigger will not bump the shooter’s trigger finger with sufficient force to fire another shot,” Thomas wrote. “Without this ongoing manual input, a semiautomatic rifle with a bump stock will not fire multiple shots. Thus, firing multiple shots requires engaging the trigger one time — and then some.”

Democrats have been free to pass legislation. As SCOTUS rightly finds, ATF overreach is unconstitutional.

Zooming out:

https://heyjackass.com/

Pregnant Florida woman uses AR-15 to fend off burglars attacking her family

Weapons don't simply have to be useful for hunting to be constitutionally protected. If you were familiar with the US as you incredulously pretend to be, you would know that.

"Mass shootings" are minority of gun homicide and even more so of gun deaths. I'm reminded of the Chicago reported who tried to buy a gun to prove how easy it was only to be denied one based on domestic violence records. I would agree though agencies need to communicate better with each other regarding disqualifying incidents.
                And start prosecuting those who obtain them illegally.

Comment

Translastion:

You might just try using your common sense. Justice Thomas should try doing the same instead of being a technical nerd.
                  Had bump stocks been available when machine guns were banned do you think they would have included the ban of bump stocks in that law? Of course they would have, they're virtually the same. Common sense.

Comment

You might just try using your common sense. Justice Thomas should try doing the same instead of being a technical nerd.
                    Nerd shaming is bad, mkay. Thomas did you common sense in that even with a bump stock, each bullets requires the pull of a trigger.

Had bump stocks been available when machine guns were banned do you think they would have included the ban of bump stocks in that law? Of course they would have, they're virtually the same. Common sense.
                    Common sense dictates that if you want to change a law, simply pass a law.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

If only they sold 800 round magazines!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Only for those who've been approved by the ATF.
                        Yeah, I gave up my 'special exemption' about 20 years ago.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's what justices who leave their common sense at the door does.
                          The definition of their job is to interpret the law and see if it is being applied properly, not to legislate from the bench.

In more than one case in the past SCOTUS has practically begged Congress to pass legislation changing a law because as it was written their hands were tied.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, I gave up my 'special exemption' about 20 years ago.
                            I had a Class 3 back in the early 80s.

Comment

I had a Class 3 back in the early 80s.
                              Those Quad 50s on the back of your jeep?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

If only they sold 800 round magazines!
                                roguetech is on the job!

Comment