Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And we support dictatorship...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    it must be quite early morning where you are. However, good afternoon from over here!
    I'm an early riser - it's approaching 6 AM. I love sunrises.

The tragedy is that Prohibition helped organised crime become embedded in wider society and influence/bribe/blackmail various officials.
    Yes, ma'am, organized crime is always looking for a way to control people and get filthy rich.

Lord Acton's aphorism holds true as ever..
    Yes, ma'am.
    I have no doubt that unions had a place in history in America, but it didn't take long for them to become their own worst enemies.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not all unions in the USA became corrupt....
      Just out of curiosity, can you name 3 American unions that have not become corrupt?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Just out of curiosity, can you name 3 American unions that have not become corrupt?
        I am not conversant with every single trades union in the USA. Sorry.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I am not conversant with every single trades union in the USA. Sorry.
          EGGzackly. So, maybe just name one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

EGGzackly. So, maybe just name one.
            Labor unions and democrats are the reason for the rise of the middle class in this country, and still are. For some reason republicans like yourself don't like that. Why is that I wonder?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post

Labor unions and democrats are the reason for the rise of the middle class in this country, and still are. For some reason republicans like yourself don't like that. Why is that I wonder?
              A) I'm not a Republican, Jim.
              2) The discussion is about the corruption of current labor unions, not what they have done in the past.
              c) The Democrats of today are not the same party as they were in the past. At all. Not even close.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post

Old news! The point is they haven't hired and trained the IRS agents yet that the funding is meant for.
                A report from two months ago gets summarily dismissed by little jimmy as "old news."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not all unions in the USA became corrupt.
                  Which ones didn't? If you can make such an emphatic declaration like that, you must have examples in mind.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                  However, those that did appear to have taken their cue from some national and local politicians, mayors, and police chiefs

This is a cartoon showing back handers being accepted from organised crime during Prohibition.

Prohibition was proven to be an incredibly corrupting force, but organized crime's infiltration of unions began before that and had little to nothing to do with the mob taking them over. "Labor racketeering" was moving into one of the mob's biggest sources of revenue prior to prohibition.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Which ones didn't? If you can make such an emphatic declaration like that, you must have examples in mind.
                    Let me rephrase a rather clumsy statement.

I very much doubt that every single trades union in the USA is corrupt. Just as I very much doubt that every single politician in the USA is corrupt.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I very much doubt that every single trades union in the USA is corrupt...
                      On what basis?

Comment

Joe's keepers are well aware that it won't be until after the election that his ignoring the court decision will be addressed. At that point old Joe won't care a whit about whether the loans are transferred onto the backs of those who couldn't afford to go or send their own kids. Heck at that point he may not even remember it.
                        Biden did not ignore the court decision, He is trying another legal a approach if the court decides against it will end, Republicans and Trump ignore the unanimous Court decisions involving the election.

Trump proposes the dictator solution in makes royal decisions without regard to any court decisions.

Yu need to remember the Trumps rejection of the election results and other court decision in reject of the decisions of the US Judicial decisions. ALL the courts of the country have rejected claims of election fraud and still Trump and most other Republicans reject the unanimous decisions of the court decisions. The recent history problem with the US Courts is an antagonistic anti-justice is overwhelmingly a Republican problem.

Comment

I very much doubt that every single trades union in the USA is corrupt. Just as I very much doubt that every single politician in the USA is corrupt.
                          By nearly every measure unions are not nearly as beholden to organized crime as they were pretty much through the 80s. But you changed your statement to "is corrupt," meaning now.

One likely reason for the mob losing interest in labor racketeering is that outside of government employees, unions are pretty much dead in this country.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Biden did not ignore the court decision, He is trying another legal a approach if the court decides against it will end, Republicans and Trump ignore the unanimous Court decisions involving the election.
                            Old Joe is pretty much doing exactly what the courts said he couldn't do. The biggest change was in the language used. Sufficient enough to force the courts to examine it on its own. But that isn't on the docket yet and a decision will only come after the election.

And that's the plan.

Comment

Old Joe is pretty much doing exactly what the courts said he couldn't do.

The courts have not responded that this is the case. I will wait for the courts to decide and not accept your extreme amateur bias,

Failure to respond. Still waiting . . .

Trump proposes the dictator solution in makes royal decisions without regard to any court decisions.

You need to remember the Trumps rejection of the election results and other court decision in reject of the decisions of the US Judicial decisions. ALL the courts of the country have rejected claims of election fraud and still Trump and most other Republicans reject the unanimous decisions of the court decisions. The recent history problem with the US Courts is an antagonistic anti-justice is overwhelmingly a Republican problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

The courts have not responded that this is the case.
                                Um. Of course not. That's the purpose of presenting the same thing in a slightly reworded manner. They won't make a decision until after the election.

And that is the plan.

Comment