Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Robert E. Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    In 1869 she wrote
    The old anti slavery school says women must stand back and wait until the negroes shall be recognized. But we say, if you will not give the whole loaf of suffrage to the entire people, give it to the most intelligent first. If intelligence, justice, and morality are to have precedence in the government, let the question of the woman be brought up first and that of the negro last.

Anthony was declaring that white people were naturally superior to, more intelligent than, blacks. I guess it's time to pull down those statues dedicated to this virulent racist.
    She was good friends with Fredrick Douglas, said the eulogy at his funeral and the two together fought for both the rights of women and black people.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      You know, though he was a complicated man, Lee was a committed Christian. He will find heaven while most of the atheists nipping at his heels here will be lost forever...
      First off you've no evidence of god, heaven or hell, and whether or not Lee was a professed christian, and assuming it exists, you would have no idea if he would find himself in your heaven or not. He was a white supremacist, a slave holder, and partially responsible for the deaths of 630,00 americans in his war for the continuation slavery.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        First off you've no evidence of god, heaven or hell, and whether or not Lee was a professed christian, and assuming it exists, you would have no idea if he would find himself in your heaven or not. He was a white supremacist, a slave holder, and partially responsible for the deaths of 630,00 americans in his war for the continuation slavery.
        Lee was a Christian Jim, that is well known https://www.eerdmans.com/Products/De...px?bookid=7482

And as a Christian his sins, can be, and are, forgiven.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Lee was a Christian Jim, that is well known https://www.eerdmans.com/Products/De...px?bookid=7482

And as a Christian his sins, can be, and are, forgiven.
          Lots of people are professed christians seer, that doesn't make them good people. I know people professing to be christians, go to church on Sunday, and then go home and beat their wives. Lee went home and beat his slaves.

Comment

. . . I know people professing to be christians, go to church on Sunday, and then go home and beat their wives.
            You know this and do nothing about it? There are people to report such things to.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Lots of people are professed christians seer, that doesn't make them good people. I know people professing to be christians, go to church on Sunday, and then go home and beat their wives. Lee went home and beat his slaves.
              Nope Jim, Lee was a man of his times, whether you like it or not his sins will be forgiven. Yours won't - unless you repent...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• I don't judge Lee. He is presumably with his Lord. However slavery was not an accepted institution in the 20th Cent when most of the statues were put up.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedrick View Post
                  I don't judge Lee. He is presumably with his Lord. However slavery was not an accepted institution in the 20th Cent when most of the statues were put up.
                  So? The statues were not celebrating slavery. And should we now remove all the Confederate statues in the Gettysburg national park?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rate_monuments
                  Last edited by seer; 08-26-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

So? The statues were not celebrating slavery. And should we now remove all the Confederate statues in the Gettysburg national park?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rate_monuments
                    Look how many of them were done during the 1960's, during the civil rights era. Are you sure they weren't celebrating slavery? I do agree that they belong at Gettysburg, hopefully with Union officers as well.

Comment

Look how many of them were done during the 1960's, during the civil rights era. Are you sure they weren't celebrating slavery? I do agree that they belong at Gettysburg, hopefully with Union officers as well.
                      Or in both cases they were just honoring their veterans.
                      Last edited by seer; 08-26-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

She was good friends with Fredrick Douglas, said the eulogy at his funeral and the two together fought for both the rights of women and black people.
                        And Lee freed his slaves a decade before the civil war and thought it was terrible. Guess there's more to people than merely racist or not racist?
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I don't judge Lee. He is presumably with his Lord. However slavery was not an accepted institution in the 20th Cent when most of the statues were put up.
                          Yes!

The Confederate memorials are a legacy of the brutally racist Jim Crow era and their intention was to reinforce white supremacy. Why else would they have be the focus for the white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and the KKK at Charlottesville?

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            And Lee freed his slaves a decade before the civil war and thought it was terrible. Guess there's more to people than merely racist or not racist?
                            And where are you getting this from, did you see it on tweb? The Civil War broke out in April of 1861, Lee freed his slaves in 1862 but only after fighting in court to keep them under his bondage indefinitely even though his father in law who was their original "master" promised them their freedom.

Comment

Nope Jim, Lee was a man of his times, whether you like it or not his sins will be forgiven. Yours won't - unless you repent...
                              Playing god doesn't become you seer.

Comment

Or in both cases they were just honoring their veterans.
                                Not a lot of Civil War veterans in 1960.

Comment