Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NEW: Biden Is Off the Ohio General Election Ballot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would let Biden sneak in on the Ohio ballot. Big whoop. Trump is going to beat that anti-union Biden into the dust in the rust belt.

Comment

Originally posted by View Post

It is election interference because it's based on a unimportant technicality that republicans, being the stubborn, vengeance seeking, anti-democratic aka the Autocrat or Trumpian Party, are being stubbornly stupid about. It's never going to happen anyway, the Courts one way or another would have to resolve it and would resolve it and Biden will be on the ballot. So don't get all excited you Maga, anti-democracy, Trumpian's.
      This is like claiming that getting a ticket because you exceeded the speed limit is a technicality. If Democrats miss the filing deadline and try to get a judge to ignore the law, they will lose.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It would be wrong to do it arbitrarily and in violation of due process, which is what Democrats were trying to do to President Trump. In this case, however, it would be nothing more than a fair and reasonable application of the law. The remedy for the Democrats is simple: name Joe as their official candidate prior to the legal deadline. Simple and done. No need for a waiver or any kind of special treatment. The only reason I can see why the Democrats would refuse to do this is if they were planning on sidelining Joe and announcing a new candidate for president at the convention.
        Announcing a new candidate for president who won't be on the ballot either?

That doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

That doesn't make sense.
          If they announce it before the deadline why would you think he wouldn't be on the ballot?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            If they announce it before the deadline why would you think he wouldn't be on the ballot?
            Announcing a new nominee at the convention would be past the deadline, given that the current problem exists because the convention is past the deadline.

-Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

This is like claiming that getting a ticket because you exceeded the speed limit is a technicality. If Democrats miss the filing deadline and try to get a judge to ignore the law, they will lose.
              At this point, a judge will probably let them. If I were a "patriot" and owned a flag pole, I'd hoist it upside. The current hubbub over Alito's flag is strange given that the Left doesn't care about the flag, constantly says that a "patriot" would criticize their country instead of just rubberstamping things as the criticize the cons, and there's was a funny little case of Texas v Johnson over a communist burning the US flag.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Announcing a new nominee at the convention would be past the deadline, given that the current problem exists because the convention is past the deadline.

-Sam
                Well, if they're morons who insist on waiting there is no help for such stupidity. The solution would be to move the convention which is largely nothing more than a rubber stamp formality in any case.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Well, if they're morons who insist on waiting there is no help for such stupidity. The solution would be to move the convention which is largely nothing more than a rubber stamp formality in any case.
                  It's not something that's going to happen. Stoic was responding to Mountain Man's musing that there might be some secret plan to replace Biden at the convention, with Stoic pointing out that fanciful hypothetical has the exact same problem that Mountain Man was suggesting Democrats weren't solving for Biden so that they could nominate a different candidate.

The convention won't be moved up in time, as that's also not something people can just do. The DNC may hold a pro forma remote nomination, rendering the convention a ceremonial affair.

-Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

That doesn't make sense.
                    Read for comprehension, please: If the Democrats aren't planning to replace Joe, then they should have no problem with simply naming him as their candidate before the deadline and then holding their convention as scheduled since it's just a formality anyway. The only reason they wouldn't want to do this, and would want a special waiver to extend the deadline, is if they were planning to announce a new candidate using the pomp and circumstance of the convention for maximum impact.

Comment

Read for comprehension, please: If the Democrats aren't planning to replace Joe, then they should have no problem with simply naming him as their candidate before the deadline and then holding their convention as scheduled since it's just a formality anyway. The only reason they wouldn't want to do this, and would want a special waiver to extend the deadline, is if they were planning to announce a new candidate using the pomp and circumstance of the convention for maximum impact.
                      Another reason is that the convention would be even more anticlimactic than it already is if they officially named the candidate beforehand. I suspect this is the same reason that both the Democrats and the Republicans didn't want to do that in 2012 and 2020.

Comment

Another reason is that the convention would be even more anticlimactic than it already is if they officially named the candidate beforehand. I suspect this is the same reason that both the Democrats and the Republicans didn't want to do that in 2012 and 2020.
                        It's not as if presidential nominees are a big secret. We typically know weeks if not months in advance who it's going to be, so officially naming Joe to make the deadline and then holding the convention as scheduled wouldn't be any more anticlimactic than it already is. That is unless they're planning to replace Joe with a surprise announcement, and then suddenly, Democrats have a lot of motivation to extend the Ohio deadline.

Comment

It's not as if presidential nominees are a big secret. We typically know weeks if not months in advance who it's going to be, so officially naming Joe to make the deadline and then holding the convention as scheduled wouldn't be any more anticlimactic than it already is. That is unless they're planning to replace Joe with a surprise announcement, and then suddenly, Democrats have a lot of motivation to extend the Ohio deadline.
                          Well, neither party came up with a surprise candidate in 2012 or 2020, so I don't see this as a reason to expect one from the Democrats this year.

Comment

Well, neither party came up with a surprise candidate in 2012 or 2020, so I don't see this as a reason to expect one from the Democrats this year.
                            Then the Democrats should have no problem avoiding this whole mess by simply naming Joe as their candidate prior to the convention.

Comment

Then the Democrats should have no problem avoiding this whole mess by simply naming Joe as their candidate prior to the convention.
                              True. Though there is no reason they can't explore other options first.

Comment

True. Though there is no reason they can't explore other options first.
                                No, no, no - let's keep Joe!
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment