Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Principles for POTUS Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Principles for POTUS Choice

Sam has mentioned this in other threads and I thought it was worthy of disassembling. Of course, there are varying degrees involved and nuance that can frustrate a clearcut conclusion, but the question is:

Should principle override success when it comes to selecting a POTUS?

I don't know which crimes Trump may be guilty of committing, but the ones being bandied about don't affect me much in my decision to select him as him being the more strong and beneficial president.
    Was he unfaithful to his wife? Not a factor.
    Did he pay money to hush a mistress? Not a factor.
    Did he not give back official documents when ordered to do so? Eh, not really a factor if he's reelected. Those same documents will become his workpapers again (besides, much of this issue is beginning to look like an FBI setup).
    Did he threaten Zelensky to withhold aid unless he conducted an investigation into Biden? No, and is ridiculous on the surface of it, since Zelensky could at any moment say "I investigated and everything is fine."
    Did he incite a riot/insurrection on J6? If I believed this to be true, then it would qualify as an uncompromising principle. But I find the evidence to be unconvincing. Sloppy, yes. Did he enjoy seeing people supporting him in such a way? I suspect so, which might have caused delay or emphasis on his part to quell it. That being the case, it does not qualify.
    So, I wrap all of that up and compare it to Trump's policies while he was POTUS, and I find in favor of him returning to office.

By comparison, I can also say I don't know what crimes Biden may be guilty of committing.
    Was he unfaithful to his wife? Not a factor.
    Did he not return official documents when he was not authorized to take them in the first place? Not a factor.
    Did he lie about not being aware of his son's business dealings in Ukraine and elsewhere? Not a factor.
    Did he profit off of his son's business dealings in Ukraine and elsewhere? The evidence is currently unconvincing.
    Did he get Shokin fired to assist in his son's business dealings? The jury is still out.

Currently, there is nothing in the above that convinces me that neither candidate cannot be re-elected. (double negative?)

So, it comes down to policy. And that's a no brainer.
    Last edited by Ronson; 05-09-2024, 09:21 AM.

My druthers would be that neither were elected. But I think we are past that point now.

But if Biden did drop out, I don't see the next Democrat candidate would be much better. It would probably be Harris at this point. And if Trump dropped out, it would probably be Nikki Haley. So even the second tier choices are not very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      My druthers would be that neither were elected. But I think we are past that point now.

But if Biden did drop out, I don't see the next Democrat candidate would be much better. It would probably be Harris at this point. And if Trump dropped out, it would probably be Nikki Haley. So even the second tier choices are not very good.

Comment

I can't imagine Harris being chosen by the DNC. They would more likely go after Newsom, if they didn't pull out every stop to get Michelle Obama to agree (which I think they're doing now anyway). Yeah, if Trump was out of the running, I guess Haley would be next up. In a geopolitical sense, she would continue the same course already set by Biden, IMO. In fact, she'd probably look for more wars to get involved in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I can't imagine Harris being chosen by the DNC. They would more likely go after Newsom, if they didn't pull out every stop to get Michelle Obama to agree (which I think they're doing now anyway). Yeah, if Trump was out of the running, I guess Haley would be next up. In a geopolitical sense, she would continue the same course already set by Biden, IMO. In fact, she'd probably look for more wars to get involved in.
          It would be hilarious if the two main candidates, Trump and Biden, were so unpopular that an independent won for the first time ever.

Comment

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              The current options are a bit more like "Shaka, when the walls fell." Or better, "Kobayashi Maru."
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Hogg/Coltrane 2024

Comment

It would be hilarious if the two main candidates, Trump and Biden, were so unpopular that an independent won for the first time ever.
                  As unpopular as Trump and Biden are, there is no other candidate who could beat both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

As unpopular as Trump and Biden are, there is no other candidate who could beat both of them.
                    You'd need to find a unifying force, and the poles are too far apart for that.

Comment

bacon

no joke
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        [
                        Did he incite a riot/insurrection on J6? If I believed this to be true, then it would qualify as an uncompromising principle. But I find the evidence to be unconvincing. Sloppy, yes. Did he enjoy seeing people supporting him in such a way? I suspect so, which might have caused delay or emphasis on his part to quell it. That being the case, it does not qualify.
                        Are you including the forged electoral college votes here?

I would never vote for anyone who had been involved in a plot to render my vote void.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

I would never vote for anyone who had been involved in a plot to render my vote void.
                          If proven to be involved, yes. Until then, I give him the benefit of the doubt, where the Left does not. Innocent until proven guilty.

Comment

Time to dust this off

Rogue-Sparko-POTUS.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

So, you wouldn't vote for any of the democrats who tried to object to certifying state tally's where trump won.

Comment