Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Panel Stuns Viewers, Shreds Alvin Bragg’s Case against Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN Panel Stuns Viewers, Shreds Alvin Bragg’s Case against Trump

CNN, the network that spent the majority of its airtime attacking President Donald Trump at every turn throughout his presidency, appears to have shifted direction, if the sentiment of their panel on Alvin Bragg‘s Case against Trump is anything to go by.

On Thursday, a panel of CNN analysts agreed that the Manhattan case against Trump is all but doomed due to the lack of evidence.

David Chalian told his colleagues, “I’ve seen precious little evidence presented yet that Trump wasn’t floating above.”

“I mean, I’ve seen very little evidence of Trump’s direct involvement in getting this accomplished. Correct me if I’m wrong.”

“No, you’re right. A lot of that’s going to come from Michael Cohen,” CNN senior legal analyst Elie Honig said, the Daily Caller reports.

“But also there was a few tidbits in David Pecker’s testimony, right, that there were direct communications, but it’s a great point, David,’ he said.

“There hasn’t been much evidence yet directly of Donald Trump’s involvement and knowledge.”

The opening days of Trump’s trial focused on testimony of former National Enquirer publisher, David Pecker, who told the court that he worked with former Trump attorney and fixer Michael Cohen to implement a “catch and kill” strategy toward stories that could hurt the Republican’s campaign in 2016.

Pecker found Cohen to be “prone to exaggeration,” which CNN said is likely to hurt District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s case.

“Prosecutors certainly haven’t proven their entire case, you know, their burden now by any stretch of the imagination,” CNN legal analyst Elliot Williams said.

“And in all likelihood, if they’re doing their jobs, future witnesses will help tease a lot of this information out.”

“But something that certainly has not been established thus far, eight or nine days in is, ‘well, what can we say about the involvement of the actual defendant?'”

“Need the receipts,” CNN chief political analyst Gloria Borger added.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

CNN, the network that spent the majority of its airtime attacking President Donald Trump at every turn throughout his presidency, appears to have shifted direction, if the sentiment of their panel on Alvin Bragg‘s Case against Trump is anything to go by.

On Thursday, a panel of CNN analysts agreed that the Manhattan case against Trump is all but doomed due to the lack of evidence.

David Chalian told his colleagues, “I’ve seen precious little evidence presented yet that Trump wasn’t floating above.”

“I mean, I’ve seen very little evidence of Trump’s direct involvement in getting this accomplished. Correct me if I’m wrong.”

“No, you’re right. A lot of that’s going to come from Michael Cohen,” CNN senior legal analyst Elie Honig said, the Daily Caller reports.

“But also there was a few tidbits in David Pecker’s testimony, right, that there were direct communications, but it’s a great point, David,’ he said.

“There hasn’t been much evidence yet directly of Donald Trump’s involvement and knowledge.”

The opening days of Trump’s trial focused on testimony of former National Enquirer publisher, David Pecker, who told the court that he worked with former Trump attorney and fixer Michael Cohen to implement a “catch and kill” strategy toward stories that could hurt the Republican’s campaign in 2016.

Pecker found Cohen to be “prone to exaggeration,” which CNN said is likely to hurt District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s case.

“Prosecutors certainly haven’t proven their entire case, you know, their burden now by any stretch of the imagination,” CNN legal analyst Elliot Williams said.

“And in all likelihood, if they’re doing their jobs, future witnesses will help tease a lot of this information out.”

“But something that certainly has not been established thus far, eight or nine days in is, ‘well, what can we say about the involvement of the actual defendant?'”

This is an instance where OMB should have waved a jury trial. Even the most biased of judges would have a difficult time justifying handing down a guilty verdict, while you can easily get jurors who don't give a flip about the evidence and don't really have to justify their decision.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's a little early to complain that the prosecution hasn't proved its case yet, given that it hasn't finished presenting its case.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It's a little early to complain that the prosecution hasn't proved its case yet, given that it hasn't finished presenting its case.
        Laughing... when CNN observes that there's a problem, it's like nuclear.

Perhaps you haven't been around court rooms much - you generally open with your strongest arguments, then supplement....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          This is an instance where OMB should have waved a jury trial. Even the most biased of judges would have a difficult time justifying handing down a guilty verdict, while you can easily get jurors who don't give a flip about the evidence and don't really have to justify their decision.
          Yeah, you may have jurors who just decide "it's time OMB goes down".

Comment

I was watching Jonathan Turley on Fox yesterday, he said that there is nothing illegal about paying someone for silence, even if it is "unethical" - never mind the fact that it seemed to be entirely Cohen's plan and execution. That is what Trump hired lawyers like him for.

Comment

I watched the panel, and it didn't seem to me that they thought there was a problem, yet. In fact, Elliot Williams pointed out that "when a trial is four or five weeks long, not every witness is going to present the entire case."

Perhaps you haven't been around court rooms much - you generally open with your strongest arguments, then supplement....
              No, I haven't been around courtrooms much. But it seems to me that they provided their argument first, and now are providing the evidence to back it up. And it takes time to provide all the evidence. I'm not surprised that they aren't done yet.

Comment

I've been thinking that folks have completely forgotten that Cohen taped a conversation with Trump regarding the McDougal payment and now I'm sure they have. No real excuse for that, though, for people who are supposed to be following the trial.

Source: ury Hears Tape of Trump and Cohen Discussing Hush-Money Deal. Jonah E. Bromwich and Jesse McKinley. The New York Times. 2024.05.03

The first voice on the recording belonged to Michael D. Cohen, a former personal lawyer and fixer for Donald J. Trump. The second was the candidate himself, Mr. Trump, who on Thursday sat mutely as jurors heard his words.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office used the tape, surreptitiously made by Mr. Cohen, to bring the trial’s two main characters together for the first time. The recording vividly captured how Mr. Cohen reported details of a key transaction to his then boss.

On it, Mr. Cohen discusses a hush-money deal that the parent company of The National Enquirer made on Mr. Trump’s behalf with the former Playboy model Karen McDougal, as well as the question of how to deal with “the financing” — that is, repaying — the supermarket tabloid’s publisher, David Pecker.

“What financing?” Mr. Trump asked, suddenly snapping to attention. He then directed Mr. Cohen to “pay with cash.” (Mr. Pecker, the jurors already know, was never repaid.)

© Copyright Original Source

-Sam
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Trump actually has decent attorneys on this case and if they thought, after discovery, they had a better chance at summary judgement than placing reasonable doubt in the mind of a single juror, they would have done so.

-Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I was watching Jonathan Turley on Fox yesterday, he said that there is nothing illegal about paying someone for silence, even if it is "unethical" - never mind the fact that it seemed to be entirely Cohen's plan and execution. That is what Trump hired lawyers like him for.
                    That's why the prosecution asked Pecker what the motive for paying for McDogual's story was. If it was campaign related, as Pecker acknowledged it was, and was then treated as a personal expense to hide the fact, that is illegal.

-Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

"complain"? Interesting choice of words. This is CNN -- never-Trump personified -- so I think it's more that they are "commiserating".

Comment

"complain"? Interesting choice of words. This is CNN -- never-Trump personified -- so I think it's more that they are "commiserating".
                        In 2016, CNN took flak for hiring pro-Trump commentator Jeffrey Lords, only firing him in 2017 after he tweeted "Sieg Heil". The network has made a point of hiring and featuring pro-Trump pundits to offer "balance" for the entire time that Trump has been a political figure. It's never been a Never-Trump network.

-Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

In 2016, CNN took flak for hiring pro-Trump commentator Jeffrey Lords, only firing him in 2017 after he tweeted "Sieg Heil". The network has made a point of hiring and featuring pro-Trump pundits to offer "balance" for the entire time that Trump has been a political figure. It's never been a Never-Trump network.

-Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

That's why the prosecution asked Pecker what the motive for paying for McDogual's story was. If it was campaign related, as Pecker acknowledged it was, and was then treated as a personal expense to hide the fact, that is illegal.

-Sam
                            If he had used campaign funds then it would have been an illegal use of campaign funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

If he had used campaign funds then it would have been an illegal use of campaign funds.
                              "It wasn't illegal because another potential funding method would have also been illegal" isn't really a defense!

In the McDougal case, Pecker wasn't reimbursed so maybe we're talking about the illegality of an in-kind donation. In the Daniels case, Cohen was reimbursed for a campaign-related purchase and the Trump Org falsified financial records to disguise that purchase and its reason. So the prosecution is not only establishing motive and precedent through the McDougal case but showing that Trump had knowledge of these women, their intent to "go public" prior to the election, and the methods being used to "lock them down".

So Turley is (characteristically) wrong: there can be something illegal in paying someone for their silence, depending on how one goes about doing so and for what purpose. You yourself acknowledge as much above.

-Sam

Comment