Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CRISPR - First Human Embryos 'Edited' in U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRISPR - First Human Embryos 'Edited' in U.S.

Greeting tWebbers,

I know very little about this topic so I'm wondering what the reaction to it has been amongst Americans, in particular if the Trump Administration / supporters and Republican Party in general are in support or against.

The work, which removed a gene mutation linked to a heart condition, is fueling debate over the controversial tool known as CRISPR.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...&sf103086058=1
    Regards

Manky

My gut instinct is that while it will prove tremendously beneficial in eliminating some really bad genetic defects it will probably be mostly used to create "designer children." What I mean is that parents will use it to custom design their babies with certain physical traits that they find desirable.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My daughter got lucky - my brains and MrsManky's looks.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        My gut instinct is that while it will prove tremendously beneficial in eliminating some really bad genetic defects it will probably be mostly used to create "designer children." What I mean is that parents will use it to custom design their babies with certain physical traits that they find desirable.

Or create an unwanted mutation that kills off the human race and starts the zombie apocalypse.

Comment

Originally posted by MankyScotsGit View Post
          My daughter got lucky - my brains and MrsManky's looks.
          Well one outta two ain't bad

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't like the idea that they are experimenting on human embryos (which they then kill)

Comment

Like Sparko said... they have no idea what side effects this will cause long term...
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Like Sparko said... they have no idea what side effects this will cause long term...
                It can be used for good and bad. They could cure diabetes and other genetic diseases, they could change the DNA in organs so that they no longer have to match the organ to the person, or make them take anti-rejection drugs, cure cancer. but they could also use it to make a slave race of dumb compliant people, or accidentally make the human race infertile and die off, or create worse birth defects, or anything. And these modifications or accidents could be transmitted on in their children, causing untold harm to future generations.

People were worried about GMO corn? How about GMO kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  It can be used for good and bad. They could cure diabetes and other genetic diseases, they could change the DNA in organs so that they no longer have to match the organ to the person, or make them take anti-rejection drugs, cure cancer. but they could also use it to make a slave race of dumb compliant people, or accidentally make the human race infertile and die off, or create worse birth defects, or anything. And these modifications or accidents could be transmitted on in their children, causing untold harm to future generations.

All valid objections, but suppose the process was perfectly safe and predictable? Would you still object? That's what I'm struggling with. Yes, the process in the hands of those who are immoral and unethical could be horrific, but is the practice in and of itself immoral and unethical?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I would think where they replaced the gene would make it a weaker bond in the chromosome, making it more susceptible to other maladies. For example, fixing diabetes could end up increasing pancreatic cancer if the chromosome mutates at the weakened genetic area. It could also get passed on, and in a few generations, mutate to something deadly for the humans that inherit it.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      I would think where they replaced the gene would make it a weaker bond in the chromosome, making it more susceptible to other maladies. For example, fixing diabetes could end up increasing pancreatic cancer if the chromosome mutates at the weakened genetic area. It could also get passed on, and in a few generations, mutate to something deadly for the humans that inherit it.
                      if it mutates in a few generation it would be in a limited number of people (probably only 1) who will then fail to reproduce because they're dead. there's a reason why genetic disorders are fairly rare, and tend to spring up in incestuous relationships (intentional or otherwise).
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        if it mutates in a few generation it would be in a limited number of people (probably only 1) who will then fail to reproduce because they're dead. there's a reason why genetic disorders are fairly rare, and tend to spring up in incestuous relationships (intentional or otherwise).
                        Natural selection in action.

Comment

Last edited by Sparko; 08-03-2017, 08:12 AM.

Comment

One scary scenario is that someone could engineer genetic "bombs" to eliminate their enemies. They could create a disease that only targets a specific population. Say, some racist nutjob wants to eliminate all white, or asians, or jews. He could create a disease that only attacks people with specific genes and kills them.

Comment

One scary scenario is that someone could engineer genetic "bombs" to eliminate their enemies. They could create a disease that only targets a specific population. Say, some racist nutjob wants to eliminate all white, or asians, or jews. He could create a disease that only attacks people with specific genes and kills them.
                              It'd be all but impossible, as there are basically no genetic differences between caucasians, jews and blacks. All the genes in one gene pool, exist in any other gene pool. At best there's some mutations that are more common amongst certain ethnicities, but that's about it. Any attempt at creating such a virus would come back to hurt the one who launched it.

The lack of any significant genetic difference other than what is expected family relatedness, is one of many reasons that the concept of race as a biological reality is dead.

Comment