Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Parents Outraged - Trans-Identifying Boy Wins Girls’ Irish Dancing Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

One of the things the parents complained about was the "physical advantage".

I love Irish dancing, and know it's incredibly physically demanding, but I honestly don't know enough about the physiology to know that a boy would have an advantage here - like we know in swim or other sports, there would most definitely be a physical advantage.
    A boy's increased lung capacity would absolutely help.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      A boy's increased lung capacity would absolutely help.
      EGGcellent point - I was thinking specifically about leg muscles, and whether a boy's physique would be an asset or a hindrance -- like 'long muscles' would be great for track, but short muscles would be great for body building and weight lifting...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I love Irish dancing, and know it's incredibly physically demanding, but I honestly don't know enough about the physiology to know that a boy would have an advantage here - like we know in swim or other sports, there would most definitely be a physical advantage.
        Apparently boys can do some moves better than girls due to being stronger, such as multiple heel clicks, but OTOH, the girls preform slip jigs better. The thing is that the dance style emphasizes speed and endurance where a male has an advantage.

FWIU, the boy who won placed 11th in a worldwide competition this Spring where he competed as a boy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Same. I can see if they were picking up partners to do dance moves (like ballet) but the only irish dancing I have seen is really fancy footwork which I think would not make much diff between boy or girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Same. I can see if they were picking up partners to do dance moves (like ballet) but the only irish dancing I have seen is really fancy footwork which I think would not make much diff between boy or girl.
            But as OBP pointed out, such dancing is extremely aerobic, so a boy's lung capacity would definitely be a factor.
            One of our college students was a world-class Irish dancer, and she would tell you "you have to learn to smile with your mouth open while dancing, because you're moving tons of air".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But as OBP pointed out, such dancing is extremely aerobic, so a boy's lung capacity would definitely be a factor.
              One of our college students was a world-class Irish dancer, and she would tell you "you have to learn to smile with your mouth open while dancing, because you're moving tons of air".
              That would probably depend on how big the boy is compared to a typical girl.

I found what appears to be a picture of the boy and he looks pretty skinny and not any taller than the girls. In the center standing on "1"

irish-dancing.webp.jpg

https://ethicsalarms.com/2023/12/07/...tion-now-what/

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I mean really, a girl couldn't beat a boy here?
                I would wager that this isn't in the same category as other sports. This isn't an athletic competition, but instead an "interpretive judging" competition. As such, the unfair advantage isn't really coming from biology, but more from politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

That would probably depend on how big the boy is compared to a typical girl.

I found what appears to be a picture of the boy and he looks pretty skinny and not any taller than the girls. In the center standing on "1"

irish-dancing.webp.jpg

https://ethicsalarms.com/2023/12/07/...tion-now-what/
                  While reading up on this I ran across this image because the writer said he couldn't find one of the biological boy in question so he posted one of someone else from an earlier event.

FWICT, they divide the dancers into sexes because they dance differently, with the boys being typically performing faster and more athletic exhibitions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There is a reason that the girl's category exists.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      While reading up on this I ran across this image because the writer said he couldn't find one of the biological boy in question so he posted one of someone else from an earlier event.

FWICT, they divide the dancers into sexes because they dance differently, with the boys being typically performing faster and more athletic exhibitions.
                      Honestly, I think the "unfair advantage" here is probably less physical, and more political. These competitions are, after all, judged on subjective criteria....

Comment