Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

$15/hr Min Wage - We told you so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And meet Flippy:

Meet White Castle's New Robot Chef, Flippyhttps://www.pcmag.com/news/meet-whit...ot-chef-flippy

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      And meet Flippy:

Meet White Castle's New Robot Chef, Flippyhttps://www.pcmag.com/news/meet-whit...ot-chef-flippy
      Now, hold on, just a cotton pickin second ---- them ain't White Castle burgers! There are no holes in them!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        What I said from the start: if a company is forced to pay someone $15/hour to flip burgers then that company is going to hire only the most skilled and experienced burger flippers in order to get the most bang for their buck. The liberal dream of some high school dropout getting top dollar to slack off in a fast food kitchen was never going to happen.
        You call 15$/hr top dollar? Woaw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          And even more robots replacing food workers demanding more money...
          Automation like this was coming whether we have minimum wage or not. For a long time this has just opened up more jobs for people, but I'm not sure that can continue forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I mean, around these parts (US/Canada), $15 per Hour has been treated it's absolutely mandatory in places where Minimum Wage is anywhere from $7.25/Hour (US) to $10.96/Hour (Saskatchewan, and each Province has their own Minimum Wage).

I think hiking up the minimum wage to an arbitrary number is just a Band-Aid solution to fix very real Cost-of-Living issues... but of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Automation like this was coming whether we have minimum wage or not.
              Absolutely, because "labor" is one of the very few truly controllable expenses in business.

For a long time this has just opened up more jobs for people, but I'm not sure that can continue forever.
              I remember when they forecast that computers would eliminate people, but there was a whole industry spring up around computers, design and building them, selling them, servicing them, programming for them.....
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Automation like this was coming whether we have minimum wage or not. For a long time this has just opened up more jobs for people, but I'm not sure that can continue forever.
                True, but pushing up the cost of employing folks speeds up the process dramatically. When they first started talking about automating fast food restaurants the companies sloughed it off as being too expensive, but as workers started demanding a sharp jump in pay it became much more feasible.

It's kinda like getting oil from shale or oil sands. When the price was $40/barrel for oil it just wasn't practical. But when it reached $100/barrel it became profitable. And when the price drops below a certain threshold these operations shutdown.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Target recently announced that they were raising their pay to $15/hr. which caused everyone to turn an eye to Walmart to see if/when they'll follow suit. What most don't realize, at least around here, virtually nobody gets more than 30/hrs/week and usually less working at Target. It is a complete waste of time looking for someone to help you find anything because hardly any employees are to be found except at the checkout.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Target recently announced that they were raising their pay to $15/hr. which caused everyone to turn an eye to Walmart to see if/when they'll follow suit. What most don't realize, at least around here, virtually nobody gets more than 30/hrs/week and usually less working at Target. It is a complete waste of time looking for someone to help you find anything because hardly any employees are to be found except at the checkout.
                    I remember when Walmart had their "Guaranty" that, if more than 4 people were in a line, they would open another register line. That sure didn't last long.

Comment

I remember when Walmart had their "Guaranty" that, if more than 4 people were in a line, they would open another register line. That sure didn't last long.
                      Now the joke is that three Walmarts closed their doors causing two cashiers to lose their jobs.

Comment

The US minimum wage in 1960 was $1.60 an hour which in todays economy, taking inflation into account, is equivalent to $13 an hour. Right wingers appreciate inequality, the abolition of collective bargaining and the right to work for less laws. Conservatives are comprised of two groups, the wealthy and the stupid.
                        Last edited by JimL; 07-17-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          The US minimum wage in 1960 was $1.60 an hour
                          Actually, it was $1.00.

Jim - when you can't even get your basic facts straight....

Comment

Actually, it was $1.00.

Jim - when you can't even get your basic facts straight....
                            My error, meant 1969, but the point, which you love to avoid, is the same. The minimum wage should be at least $13.00 an hour today yet in many places it isn't even $8.00 an hour.
                            Last edited by JimL; 07-17-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              My error, meant 1969, but the point is the same.
                              The point is as valid as your error.

Comment

The point is as valid as your error.

Comment