Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump claims he received every electoral college vote in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump claims he received every electoral college vote in 2020

I do my best to ignore the lies Trump and his supporters continue to tell about the 2020 election, but one of Trump's recent lies is sufficiently interesting that it bears repeating. On November 4th, 2023, at the "Freedom Summit" in Orlando, Florida, Trump claimed:

"We won, the last time, 50 states, think of it, 50 states. We won every state. We then did great in the election. We got 12 million more votes or so, 12 million more votes than we got the first time."

Is it universally agreed, by Trump supporters, that Trump won the 2020 electoral college vote 538 to 0? Is it true that Trump merely has to "speak", and "it is"?
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

I doubt there any "Trump supporters" here.

In general, I doubt Trump actually believes he won all 60 states (as Obama counted) as Trump would never win states like Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, Maryland, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, Vermont, or New York. (Or the 10 extra states Obama visited).
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Trump, in that quote, is speaking first about the virtually non-existent 2020 Republican primaries, where he did indeed (unsurprisingly, as the incumbent president) "win all 50 states" and, secondly, falsely claiming that he got "12 million more votes or so" in the general election.

Source: Donald Trump claims he won all 50 states in 2020 US election in Florida speech ahead of New York court appearance. Jason Dasey. ABC News Australia. 2023.11.05

During a speech at the Freedom Summit, outside Orlando, Florida, on Saturday night, he referred to his victories in the Republican primaries in the run-up to the 2020 US election and said: "We won, the last time, 50 states, think of it, 50 states."

"We won every state. We then did great in the election. We got 12 million more votes or so … 12 million more votes than we got the first time.

"The whole thing is a lie … the whole election is a lie."

© Copyright Original Source

Only half a lie from the inveterate liar this time.

-Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
        I do my best to ignore the lies Trump and his supporters continue to tell about the 2020 election, but one of Trump's recent lies is sufficiently interesting that it bears repeating. On November 4th, 2023, at the "Freedom Summit" in Orlando, Florida, Trump claimed:

"We won, the last time, 50 states, think of it, 50 states. We won every state. We then did great in the election. We got 12 million more votes or so, 12 million more votes than we got the first time."

Is it universally agreed, by Trump supporters, that Trump won the 2020 electoral college vote 538 to 0? Is it true that Trump merely has to "speak", and "it is"?
        I'd have to see more context, but loathe as I am to defend the orange menace, the way it is phrased here suggests he is talking about winning the primaries in 50 states, and then starts talking about the general election, hence the "we then did great in the election"

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
          I doubt there any "Trump supporters" here.

In general, I doubt Trump actually believes he won all 60 states (as Obama counted) as Trump would never win states like Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, Maryland, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Connecticut, Vermont, or New York. (Or the 10 extra states Obama visited).
          57 states, with "one left to go". Obama, of course, meant "states and US territories" (which should be states).

-Sam

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            Trump, in that quote, is speaking first about the virtually non-existent 2020 Republican primaries, where he did indeed (unsurprisingly, as the incumbent president) "win all 50 states"...
            Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.
            "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
            "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

57 states, with "one left to go". Obama, of course, meant "states and US territories" (which should be states).

-Sam
              No. He actually just misspoke 47 as 57. He was talking about 47 states with another state to go, hence the following "One left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit but my staff would not justify it."

Which of course would make the 50 states after that 1 more to go and the two they wouldnt let him go to are added to 47.

No need to make things up about US territories (which he didn't visit at all) when it was simply a misspeak fof "57" instead of "47"

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

No. He actually just misspoke 47 as 57. He was talking about 47 states with another state to go, hence the following "One left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit but my staff would not justify it."

Which of course would make the 50 states after that 1 more to go and the two they wouldnt let him go to are added to 47.

No need to make things up about US territories (which he didn't visit at all) when it was simply a misspeak fof "57" instead of "47"
                Fair enough; my memory seems to have likewise failed me on this gaffe-from-the-past.

-Sam

Comment

Sam seems to think territories are relevant to a presidential campaign, that's cute.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Trump, in that quote, is speaking first about the virtually non-existent 2020 Republican primaries, where he did indeed (unsurprisingly, as the incumbent president) "win all 50 states" and, secondly, falsely claiming that he got "12 million more votes or so" in the general election.

Source: Donald Trump claims he won all 50 states in 2020 US election in Florida speech ahead of New York court appearance. Jason Dasey. ABC News Australia. 2023.11.05

During a speech at the Freedom Summit, outside Orlando, Florida, on Saturday night, he referred to his victories in the Republican primaries in the run-up to the 2020 US election and said: "We won, the last time, 50 states, think of it, 50 states."

"We won every state. We then did great in the election. We got 12 million more votes or so … 12 million more votes than we got the first time.

"The whole thing is a lie … the whole election is a lie."

© Copyright Original Source

Only half a lie from the inveterate liar this time.

-Sam
                    Even the "half a lie" wasn't really a lie. He just rounded up rather than rounding to the nearest million. (And no doubt he always rounds up when it's to his advantage.)

​​​​​​74,223,975 vs 62,984,828 or 11,239,147 more votes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Even the "half a lie" wasn't really a lie. He just rounded up rather than rounding to the nearest million. (And no doubt he always rounds up when it's to his advantage.)

Also a fair point and a good correction, thanks.

-Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

Apparently referring to the primaries -- where he was largely an unopposed incumbent.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As much as I dislike Obama and what he stood for, I need to come to his defense here. He started by saying "fifty", then hesitated when he realized there were exceptions. But instead of backing up and saying "forty", he went on to say "seven", then listed the exceptions. He did nit intend to state that there were sixty states.
                          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

As much as I dislike Obama and what he stood for, I need to come to his defense here. He started by saying "fifty", then hesitated when he realized there were exceptions. But instead of backing up and saying "forty", he went on to say "seven", then listed the exceptions. He did nit intend to state that there were sixty states.
                            Thats..... what I literally just said. He misspoke. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

For most folks rounding off doesn't constitute a lie, but OMB doesn't get that pass.

During one of his SOTU speeches, he mentioned how a third of the women and girls illegally crossing the border end up getting sexually assaulted. Now, some groups put the numbers much higher. According to Amnesty International the number is closer to 60% and one study even puts the number as high as 80%, but WaPo (and some others) cited statistics indicating that the number is 31% so that they could say OMB inflated the numbers and his claim was a lie.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment