Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN: More Fake News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    How is it grasping at straws to refer to Comey's testimony given under oath?
    Because your understanding of it is rather naive. Of course Trump would not use the word "order" because that could get him into deep trouble. So he made his point using other methods.

Here is what Comey said during his testimony given under oath: "I mean, this is a president of the United States with me alone saying, 'I hope this.' I took it as, this is what he wants me to do. I didn't obey that, but that's the way I took it."

This is about looking into the circumstances, MM. If it was just a hope (like I hope the weather is good tomorrow) there would be no need to make sure no one else was in the room.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
      Because your understanding of it is rather naive. Of course Trump would not use the word "order" because that could get him into deep trouble. So he made his point using other methods.

Here is what Comey said during his testimony given under oath: "I mean, this is a president of the United States with me alone saying, 'I hope this.' I took it as, this is what he wants me to do. I didn't obey that, but that's the way I took it."

This is about looking into the circumstances, MM. If it was just a hope (like I hope the weather is good tomorrow) there would be no need to make sure no one else was in the room.
      You're cherry picking. Read the surrounding testimony. Comey conceded that Trump never ordered him.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You're cherry picking. Read the surrounding testimony. Comey conceded that Trump never ordered him.
        Quote? And please inform us as to why it makes the other points unimportant.

Comment

• When a superior tells a subordinate that he "hopes" something will be done, he is not expressing a desire, but an expectation.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Here's the entire exchange:

RISCHCOMEY: Correct.

RISCH: You wrote them here and put them in quotes.

COMEY: Correct.

RISCH: Thank you for that. He did not direct you to let it go?

COMEY: Not in his words, no.

RISCH: He did not order you to let it go?

COMEY: Again, those words are not an order.

RISCH: He said, I hope. Now, like me, you probably did hundreds of cases, maybe thousands of cases, charging people with criminal offenses and, of course, you have knowledge of the thousands of cases out there where people have been charged. Do you know of any case where a person has been charged for obstruction of justice or, for that matter, any other criminal offense, where they said or thought they hoped for an outcome?

COMEY: I don't know well enough to answer. The reason I keep saying his words is I took it as a direction.

RISCH: Right.

COMEY: I mean, this is a president of the United States with me alone saying I hope this. I took it as, this is what he wants me to do. I didn't obey that, but that's the way I took it.

RISCH: You may have taken it as a direction but that's not what he said.

RISCH: He said, I hope.

COMEY: Those are his exact words, correct.

RISCH: You don't know of anyone ever being charged for hoping something, is that a fair statement?

COMEY: I don't as I sit here.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...stimony-239295

Comment

Here's the entire exchange:

RISCHCOMEY: Correct.

RISCH: You wrote them here and put them in quotes.

RISCH: Thank you for that. He did not direct you to let it go?

RISCH: He did not order you to let it go?

COMEY: Again, those words are not an order.

RISCH: He said, I hope. Now, like me, you probably did hundreds of cases, maybe thousands of cases, charging people with criminal offenses and, of course, you have knowledge of the thousands of cases out there where people have been charged. Do you know of any case where a person has been charged for obstruction of justice or, for that matter, any other criminal offense, where they said or thought they hoped for an outcome?

COMEY: I don't know well enough to answer. The reason I keep saying his words is I took it as a direction.

RISCH: Right.

COMEY: I mean, this is a president of the United States with me alone saying I hope this. I took it as, this is what he wants me to do. I didn't obey that, but that's the way I took it.

RISCH: You may have taken it as a direction but that's not what he said.

RISCH: He said, I hope.

COMEY: Those are his exact words, correct.

RISCH: You don't know of anyone ever being charged for hoping something, is that a fair statement?

COMEY: I don't as I sit here.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...stimony-239295
              I had read that many times. What does it change? Did Comey not take it as a direction? How does it change the strange circumstances, no one else around and so on?

Comment

• RISCH: He did not direct you to let it go?
                hmmm
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I had read that many times. What does it change? Did Comey not take it as a direction? How does it change the strange circumstances, no one else around and so on?
                  Comey conceded that​ it wasn't an order. That's a significant point and dashes any hope the Democrats had for an obstruction of justice or abuse of power charge. Comey can make all the assumptions he wants about what he thinks Trump might have meant, but assumptions aren't evidence. All we have are Trump's words, and Comey conceded that Trump's words were not an order.

As for the circumstances of the conversation, no laws were broken, so what's the problem?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Really? Last week my boss asked if I could stay late. I couldn't and I didn't.
                    Rogue, like MM, you are grasping at straws, if your job requirements don't include working late when necessary, then you can't be fired for refusing. The Director of the FBI can be fired at any time for any reason, or for no reason at all. In other words you can say no without concern for your job, Comey could not, and in refusing by inaction, he did indeed lose his job. Besides that, your employers request for you to work late, was hardly analogous to what Trump asked Comey to do?

Comment

• The term "getting of on a technicality" comes to mind.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        The term "getting of on a technicality" comes to mind.
                        That's just another of saying that Trump is innocent.

Comment

That's just another of saying that Trump is innocent.
                          He could be. But given Comey's statement and a lot of smoke, it does not appear to be very likely. At least he can always count on you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Expressing hope someone stops an investigation does not hinder it, idiot. By this standard every progressitard who expressed a desire to see hillary's investigation end is guilty of obstruction of justice.
                            sought to hinder the investigation into Flynn and the Russians, this is what Comey understood Trump to be attempting. And this was reinforced by his subsequent firing by Trump.

Comment

He could be. But given Comey's statement and a lot of smoke, it does not appear to be very likely. At least he can always count on you.
                              That must be a comfort to Trump in these troubled times.

Comment

You mean Comey's statements that Trump was not a subject of investigation and that THE NEW YORK TIMES story alleging repeated contact between Russia and the Trump campaign was almost entirely wrong? Are those the statements you're referring to? And let's not forget that according to Comey, much of what gets reported by the mainstream press is not just wrong but "dead wrong". Yes, I can totally see why you think Trump's innocence is in doubt.

The only smoke here is of the "smoke and mirrors" variety as Democrats con their low-info voters with baseless conspiracy theories. You really should be embarrassed that you've fallen for it.

Comment