Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Countries providing aid to Ukraine, ranked by GDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countries providing aid to Ukraine, ranked by GDP

It is interesting to see a list of countries providing aid to Ukraine, ranked by each country's percentage of GDP. The following ranking includes all aid given to Ukraine during the time period Jan/4/2022 to Feb/24/2023. Countries which were either part of the USSR or the Warsaw Pact (indicated by bold).feature prominently on this list, presumably because they know first hand what it means to be occupied by Russia.

Canada, and Alberta specifically, and Edmonton even more specifically (almost 11% of Edmontonians are of Ukrainian ancestry) have very close ties to Ukraine, so I am disappointed that we are so far down the list.

Canada has the third highest population of ethnic Ukrainians in the world (after Ukraine and Russia). Poland is in 4th place followed by the USA in 5th.

(1) 1.4% Latvia
    (2) 1.3% Estonia
    (3) 1.1% Lithuania
    (4) 0.9% Poland

(5) 0.8% Netherlands
    (6) 0.7% Norway
    (7) 0.7% Bulgaria
    (8) 0.6% Czech Republic

(9) 0.6% Finland
    (10) 0.6% Denmark
    (21) 0.4% United States
    (29) 0.2% Canada
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

I would love see the US ranked at 0.0%.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
      It is interesting to see a list of countries providing aid to Ukraine, ranked by each country's percentage of GDP. The following ranking includes all aid given to Ukraine during the time period Jan/4/2022 to Feb/24/2023. Countries which were either part of the USSR or the Warsaw Pact (indicated by bold).feature prominently on this list, presumably because they know first hand what it means to be occupied by Russia.

Canada, and Alberta specifically, and Edmonton even more specifically (almost 11% of Edmontonians are of Ukrainian ancestry) have very close ties to Ukraine, so I am disappointed that we are so far down the list.

Canada has the third highest population of ethnic Ukrainians in the world (after Ukraine and Russia). Poland is in 4th place followed by the USA in 5th.

(1) 1.4% Latvia
      (2) 1.3% Estonia
      (3) 1.1% Lithuania
      (4) 0.9% Poland

(5) 0.8% Netherlands
      (6) 0.7% Norway
      (7) 0.7% Bulgaria
      (8) 0.6% Czech Republic

(9) 0.6% Finland
      (10) 0.6% Denmark
      (21) 0.4% United States
      (29) 0.2% Canada
      Cool then they really don't need our help!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

(1) 1.4% Latvia
        (2) 1.3% Estonia
        (3) 1.1% Lithuania
        (4) 0.9% Poland

(5) 0.8% Netherlands
        (6) 0.7% Norway
        (7) 0.7% Bulgaria
        (8) 0.6% Czech Republic

(9) 0.6% Finland
        (10) 0.6% Denmark
        (21) 0.4% United States
        (29) 0.2% Canada
        1. Source?

B) The former Warsaw countries fear they will be next if Russia succeeds with Ukraine.

III: Do those figures include private donations and contributions from private citizens? Just a month after the invasion a quarter of Americans economically assisted Ukraine and Ukrainians. I imagine that number grew since then.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

graph.jpg

More importantly .....

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            [ATTACH=JSON]More importantly .....
            Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

In the same way, poorer countries that give a larger percentage of their wealth to Ukraine than does the US are, clearly, being more generous than the US.

Another passage for you to consider:

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."
            "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
            "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

In the same way, poorer countries that give a larger percentage of their wealth to Ukraine than does the US are, clearly, being more generous than the US.

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."
              I'm pretty sure Jesus wasn't speaking about funding an international war. He was commending the woman giving everything she had to a religious cause, which was Judaism at the time. The point was giving your all to serve God.

Comment

1) This is about countries and tax dollars, not individuals.
                2) Taxes are taken from citizens without any say on how they are spent. If you have no say in how money is spent that is taken from you, then that passage has no meaning
                3) The passage is about tithing
                4) There are wars going on all over the world that aren't as trendy as Ukraine. Why not start a thread about one of those and see which countries are spending more GDP?
                5) The countries in Eastern Europe have a greater stake in Ukraine than the US (or Canada). I bet none of those countries are paying a cent to help close the porous US southern border.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I would love see the US ranked at 0.0%.
                  That comes to no surprise from anyone here, Russkie

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                    graph.jpg

More importantly .....
                    Sure, but thats not taking percentage of the country's GDP into account.

That gives a lot of perspective.

That's like saying a man who pays a million in taxes is more impacted than someone who pays 1000 in taxes whilst leaving out that the first guys tax rate is lower than the second guys

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Sure, but thats not taking percentage of the country's GDP into account.

That gives a lot of perspective.

That's like saying a man who pays a million in taxes is more impacted than someone who pays 1000 in taxes whilst leaving out that the first guys tax rate is lower than the second guys
                      Those figures almost always exclude private donations by Americans, which can quickly become huge sums of money. Nor does it consider all of the other foreign countries that we also give money away to.

Somehow, I doubt that any of the Baltic States contribute even one thin dime to help countries in Africa, Asia or South America.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Those figures almost always exclude private donations by Americans, which can quickly become huge sums of money. Nor does it consider all of the other foreign countries that we also give money away to.

Somehow, I doubt that any of the Baltic States contribute even one thin dime to help countries in Africa, Asia or South America.
                        Private donations aren't really relevant when we're talking about government aid, nice try tho.

You also seem to have the impression that this is a criticism of the US not giving enough aid but it isnt.

Comment

Private donations aren't really relevant when we're talking about government aid, nice try tho.
                          But they do count when you are talking about what each country contributes.

If you had bothered to read the OP, it said nothing whatsoever about what governments contribute but rather what the countries do based on GDP. The word "government" is not mentioned at all.

And the last I checked countries include the populace.

I can't even give you a nice try for that.

Comment

Ah yes, because there was no intrigue concerning Ukraine's ties to the West or Russia prior to the invasion. Ukraine is a bad egg that the West is stuck with defending as it's politically entrenched to defend a EU-centered Ukraine.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment