Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Colorado woman faces no jail time for statutory rape, pregnancy by 13-year-old boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

The risk of pregnancy is also a major factor, and a very physical one at that. It would be far more harmful for a 13 year old girl to become pregnant than an adult woman.

Which is not to downplay the seriousness, but rather to argue for perhaps *more* time when it's a younger girl.
    I worked with a DA in a small-ish California town and he told me how he pursued such statutory cases. It was a combination of age difference and damages. One might argue that a 13-year-old boy is less likely to be damaged than a 13-year-old girl, and the fact a boy was even able to perform indicates he was inclined. But he bristled when he got cases of a 19 year-old man who had sex with his 17 year-old girlfriend - to be pursued at the parents' insistence. He said those wasted his time and he would stall until their relationship became legal.

I don't believe the DA had any cases of a woman perpetrator while I was there.

Comment

The risk of pregnancy is also a major factor, and a very physical one at that. It would be far more harmful for a 13 year old girl to become pregnant than an adult woman.

Which is not to downplay the seriousness, but rather to argue for perhaps *more* time when it's a younger girl.
      You could just add another charge in case of pregnancy. Although I think it might be better to just leave that aspect to civil suits and base payment on the damage involved.

I don't think you're downplaying anything here. There isn't anything wrong with bringing up relevant points in a discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I worked with a DA in a small-ish California town and he told me how he pursued such statutory cases. It was a combination of age difference and damages. One might argue that a 13-year-old boy is less likely to be damaged than a 13-year-old girl, and the fact a boy was even able to perform indicates he was inclined. But he bristled when he got cases of a 19 year-old man who had sex with his 17 year-old girlfriend - to be pursued at the parents' insistence. He said those wasted his time and he would stall until their relationship became legal.

The underlined part does not work that way. A reaction in that area does not mean they wanted such an interaction. Negative stimulation can cause it equally as positive stimulation. I do think he's right about the 17 year old and a 19 year old couple being taken to court just wastes their time. Romeo and Juliet laws exist for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

You could just add another charge in case of pregnancy. Although I think it might be better to just leave that aspect to civil suits and base payment on the damage involved.

I don't think you're downplaying anything here. There isn't anything wrong with bringing up relevant points in a discussion.
          That's possible, though I probably wouldn't support anything that might provide an incentive to get an abortion.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The underlined part does not work that way. A reaction in that area does not mean they wanted such an interaction. Negative stimulation can cause it equally as positive stimulation. I do think he's right about the 17 year old and a 19 year old couple being taken to court just wastes their time. Romeo and Juliet laws exist for a reason.
            Well, I was once a 13-year-old boy and I would need to be inclined - especially to reach climax (which this boy apparently did).

Comment

Taking advantage of a youth like that is wrong.Even of they seem willing due to being drugged by their own hormones. And it's a betrayal of trust.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Taking advantage of a youth like that is wrong.Even of they seem willing due to being drugged by their own hormones. And it's a betrayal of trust.
                ^That.

Comment

That is ABSURDLY false, and one of the most harmful things I've ever heard, and honestly sounds no different than the garbage H_A was pushing a while back.

Comment

Well, I was once a 13-year-old boy and I would need to be inclined - especially to reach climax (which this boy apparently did).
                    A 13 year old can get an erection at any time for basically any reason, not even thinking about it, my dude. That doesn't mean they are aroused or turned on by that thing, nor does the manipulation of their genitals to maintain that erection to ejaculation indicate they are "inclined". Not to mention pregnancy can also occur without "climax" - a woman can become impregnated through pre-ejaculate for examole.

Comment

That's possible, though I probably wouldn't support anything that might provide an incentive to get an abortion.
                      Except for those who are going to try and force a kid to provide child support the incentive is already there as they are likely to try and hide the evidence.

Maybe that was true for you but for many boys that age it isn't.

Oh, and sorry. For some reason, I didn't get a notification of a response until now.

Comment

Maybe that was true for you but for many boys that age it isn't.
                        I can't speak for "many boys" because I haven't polled them (I don't that anyone has). But yes, I speak for myself. I had an experience that taught me that it wasn't going to happen unless I was a willing participant.

Oh, and sorry. For some reason, I didn't get a notification of a response until now.
                        No sweat. Although I've said all I have to say on this topic.

Comment