Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why do Republicans have so many sex scandals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    I don't think any American should be okay with people being detained, not charged, not represented, and not receiving a trial for decades.

If they killed them on the battlefield that would be just a part of war.
    If they charged them, held a trial, and sentenced them to death that would also be a part of war.

Justice should be swift, not some lingering process - what possible information could these people have 20 years out of the field?
    Historically, people who fought outside of traditional militaries (like bandits, pirates, and more recently, terrorists) were considered "outside humanity" and the protections a normal criminal would get did not apply to them. Of course, that usually meant they were swiftly executed and their corpses impaled on a spike in front of the city gate, not vacation at a Cuban resort with red hot chilli peppers concerts.

The reason why they get stuck in Gitmo for 20 years is because no politician wants to let these guys go only to have one of them blow up a market somewhere and executing them brings its own host of problems (executing POWs is a pretty big deal). So they just keep passing the buck.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      "Davis engaged in all sorts of typical atheist behavior before converting, here's why that makes you hypocritical, Christians!"

I mean, this stuff is even in her wikipedia entry. This is why you're sheltered, you never hear any voice other than your own.

Davis was ALWAYS a Christian you boob. She just wasn't an evangelical Pentecostal until six years ago. Even so, you don't get to fail at marriage THREE TIMES and then gain the right to suddenly pass judgment on other peoples relationships, all because you're a member of a religion that teaches you're better than everyone else now because you grew your hair down to your butt. She's still a flaming hypocrite that shouldn't be telling anyone how marriages work.

Get back to me when her current marriage lasts more than ten years.
      Last edited by Sea of red; 05-05-2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post

Davis was ALWAYS a Christian you boob. She just wasn't an evangelical Pentecostal until six years ago. Even so, you don't get to fail at marriage THREE TIMES and then gain the right to suddenly pass judgment on other peoples relationships, all because you're a member of a religion that teaches you're better than everyone else now because you grew your hair down to your butt. She's still a flaming hypocrite that shouldn't be telling anyone how marriages work.

1. It's not davis's judgement, it's God's judgement. Davis did not make sodomy a sin.
        2. This made-up standard only shows up when you want to shut down Christians. Your many personal failures or the many personal failures of other atheists never seems to stop you from running your mouth.
        3. Not everybody who claims to be a Christian opposes gay marriage. Whatever Davis was before, she obviously became something else fairly recently:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/u...?smid=pl-share

At best she might have been a Christian apatheist. Either way, it seems dishonest to harp on it as if her recently becoming a devout Christian never happened.

Unless she gets caught with other women she is free to say whatever she wants about homosexuality and it doesn't make her a hypocrite just because she commits other, unrelated sins.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I feel your disappointment.
          I'd painted 'T R U M P' on their torsos in finger paint but it all came off when I applied the coco-butter.
          Ah, the wages of sin.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            "Davis engaged in all sorts of typical atheist behavior before converting, here's why that makes you hypocritical, Christians!"

Comment

• And yet her immoral behavior was sufficient for a landmark court case normalizing abortion.
              I think I see how this works.

That snide comment aside, I don't think a person's history disqualifies them from commenting on public policy - because that would mean the only reason anyone could comment on public policy is because the press hasn't exposed his secrets. I think it is an odd way to evaluate a person's contribution to the discussion and it is a standard that I do not support in the least. I'm assuming that it is her past that you take issue with, maybe you just don't like women?
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

That is the same as saying that a recovering alcoholic has no right to warn folks about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

you're a member of a religion that teaches you're better than everyone else....
                  What religion teaches THAT?
                  When I Survey....

Comment

• Originally posted by Faber View Post
                    What religion teaches THAT?
                    I believe it's the Church of Strawman Christianity.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      That is the same as saying that a recovering alcoholic has no right to warn folks about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.

The mind of a fundy.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        One warns people about the potential dangers of alcohol and drugs and one warns them about the dangers of unsafe sex. One does NOT

Comment

I don't think a person's history disqualifies them from commenting on public policy - because that would mean the only reason anyone could comment on public policy is because the press hasn't exposed his secrets. I think it is an odd way to evaluate a person's contribution to the discussion and it is a standard that I do not support in the least. I'm assuming that it is her past that you take issue with, maybe you just don't like women?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            One warns people about the potential dangers of alcohol and drugs and one warns them about the dangers of unsafe sex. One does NOT
                            That isn't the way it works in practice.

1: I warn of the dangers unsafe sex.
                            2: The dude goes out and get AIDS.
                            3: The moral obligation to pay for his healthcare is forced upon me.

^--- Oh wait, I guess you can force moral values onto other people.
                            Seems to be a bit of a one way street - you aren't very consistent, Tassy.
                            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

That isn't the way it works in practice.

1: I warn of the dangers unsafe sex.
                              2: The dude goes out and get AIDS.
                              3: The moral obligation to pay for his healthcare is forced upon me.

^--- Oh wait, I guess you can force moral values onto other people.
                              Seems to be a bit of a one way street - you aren't very consistent, Tassy.

Comment

• You'd made the point that the government shouldn't be able to force morality onto people.
                                I illustrated how you actually advocate that quite frequently.

And no, I don't support Kim Davis or any of her behavior.

Comment